Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I've RV'd all over the eastern half of the country, and am from New England near the ocean. You do NOT want to try to live in an RV near the ocean, or anywhere in New England in the winter. Campgrounds close. Why? RV's are not built to withstand ice, snow, winter, etc. and you will have no "hookups" in any campground. You would need FULL hookups, which are water, sewer, electric. You just can't park an RV somewhere and have facilities. Where are you going to dump your sewage, your black water and your gray water? Where are you going to get your elecrtricity and heat from? A generator? What happens when you get an ice/snow storm. Quite frankly, that is a dangerous idea.
I second everything QuilterChick is stating. We have an RV which we take to the FL Keys for a couple of months in the winter from upstate NY. We have to keep antifreeze in the tanks and cannot use the water until we get to an area above freezing. Although our RV has it's own generator, which provides heat and electricity, it runs on propane tank. Also, our RV is only 3 years old, with nice ammendities, but still isn't insulated enough to live in near the ocean in the NE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,620 times
I am so glad Quilterchick posted that comment. My husband & I lost our jobs (worked at the same place). We are losing our home (have 2 weeks to get out) & are walking away with only $7,000. We decided to buy an RV as this is all we can afford. We don't want to leave New England - ok, I don't want to. I need snow & my family is here. We have the built in generator so we figured all we had to do was hook up to water. Quilterchick, what you described is the actual reality, so thank you. I didn't realize that they were that poorly insulated & the water lines freezing & such... I hoped we would be ok with the heat generated. Yes, we knew about the propane tank, but apparently it won't be enough to get us through the winter here. I feel even more hopeless & lost now but I thank you so much for replying with that information. It is life saving. God bless you. I guess I'm going to have to leave my family & my beloved New England weather. Snow falling is my anti-depressant though, so this is going to be difficult. But thank you again.

Last edited by Gingerbrad; 10-16-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: wrong name used in reply

Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerbrad View Post
I am so glad Quilterchick posted that comment. My husband & I lost our jobs (worked at the same place). We are losing our home (have 2 weeks to get out) & are walking away with only $7,000. We decided to buy an RV as this is all we can afford. We don't want to leave New England - ok, I don't want to. I need snow & my family is here. We have the built in generator so we figured all we had to do was hook up to water. Quilterchick, what you described is the actual reality, so thank you. I didn't realize that they were that poorly insulated & the water lines freezing & such... I hoped we would be ok with the heat generated. Yes, we knew about the propane tank, but apparently it won't be enough to get us through the winter here. I feel even more hopeless & lost now but I thank you so much for replying with that information. It is life saving. God bless you. I guess I'm going to have to leave my family & my beloved New England weather. Snow falling is my anti-depressant though, so this is going to be difficult. But thank you again.

My heart goes out to you and your husband; hang in there and try to get to a warmer climate where night temps don't go below freezing ... you won't need hefty utilities. In your travels, I hope at least one of you can find a job, or some temporary jobs to get by. Have faith in yourselves, everything happens for a reason. Blessings.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:29 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
many snow birds travel to Florida then bo east again and Florida does have many parks also

Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 AM

Default RV Park Seasonal Workers

Most RV parks hire seasonal workers which include a free space to park your RV. Jobs usually include working at the reception desk, clean up, landscaping etc. We have met workers who spend summers in New England RV parks working and winters in FL parks. Something you might consider to tied you over until you can find something more permanent.

I believe one site is: rvparkstore.com

If you do a search try: RV park jobs

Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
In your travels, I hope at least one of you can find a job, or some temporary jobs to get by.
The Amazon warehouses hire many temps for the Christmas season. Many of the live in RV's. I get much of the Amazon stuff from Lexington, KY, but here's a list of sites: Locations of Amazon Fulfillment Centers | The Bottom Line

Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Fedex hires all sorts of seasonal drivers and warehouse workers this time of year. Craigslist is a good spot to check. Thank you for chiming in, and best of luck!

Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Amazon warehouses hire many temps for the Christmas season. Many of the live in RV's. I get much of the Amazon stuff from Lexington, KY, but here's a list of sites: Locations of Amazon Fulfillment Centers | The Bottom Line
Actually we have met a few of the RVers who work for Amazon warehouses every year for Christmas season. Afterwards, they head south.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,568 times
I used to work with a few people who lived in RV's. They had arrangements to live either with friends or at a nearby motel for the winter.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,620 times
Thank you so much everybody!!!! You've all been helpful & hopeful. I will keep all posted as new circumstances arise. God bless you all so very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts