Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Ah relocation. Yes not much you can do if thats where the job is.

Lanai is a very small community under 5,000 people spread over an island of 150 square miles. Most work for the two resorts. House, and rentals are not cheap because they just dont have many. Lanai didn;t get caught in the housing boom so they didn't have a bubble to burst. There is also a rental shortage since many need temp housing when they work at the resorts or contractors on other projects. But there are some nice deals when they are available.

Beyond what you would expect in a rural town under 5,000, there is not much going on. So bad is it at times that the resorts were thinking of scheduling helicopter flights to Maui so their guest didn't get bored. There is no major chain stores in Lanai City. I dont think there is even a regular movie theater.

If only one is getting a job on Lanai, you may want to think like the locals or long term contractors and have the worker go to Lanai for work and the family live on Maui. It will be a big change from Maui to Lanai. and like said before, imagine a VERY SLOWER, SMALLER, and LESS TO DO Molokai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
I don't mean to be nosy, but where did you live on Maui and have you ever lived in a very (very) small community, especially in a remote area? Are you comfortable "roughing it," or do you require lots of options for shopping, household amenities, etc.? These are the kinds of things that set Moloka'i and Lana'i apart from Maui. None are negatives, per se, but they can force your family to make compromises that are initially uncomfortable, even if it turns out to be a great adventure.

Housing-wise, there are very few options on Lana'i other than rental houses. The realtor site I just looked at had eight rental listings, but only two available. It's also the kind of place where you might have better luck taking a vacation rental for a month or so while you get your bearings and figure out where you want to live. (There are a few listings on VRBO and other vacation sites. Be careful, though, a lot of the Lana'i pages send you back to Maui addresses.)

Lana'i has the same Time-Warner Oceanic cable and HawaiianTelcom DSL options as Maui, so internet speed should not be a problem. (Moloka'i actually got fiber optic cable before Maui a while back.) Schools are an issue on all of the islands, and getting a good education requires a great deal of work and study at home with parents as well as in the classroom.

It's on this forum a thousand places, but generally, if you treat your neighbors with respect, and try to fit in and not compare your new home to where you've lived before, you will be accepted. There are only about 3,500 people on-island, so it's the kind of place where you'll feel like you "know everybody" eventually. It may be a little hard to fit in at first, but I would think having lived on Maui would help considerably. (Especially since our county government can't decide whether one of our current council members legally lives on Maui or on Lana'i.) If you've had -- and liked -- the remote small town experience, you should be fine.

Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
I didn't realize you had never been to Lanai.

I believe there are two grocery stores, both in town center area. When I say grocery stores, think of something like a mom & pop place, not Safeway. Maybe one or two types of mustard, not many choices in bread, not a lot of gourmet cheese. There are some other places that items might be sold, such as a gas station store, or the shops at the two Four Seasons resorts, but not much.

Theater - there is a place that shows movies, but it's more of a meeting place than a full on theater.

Town center is where the stores are, and it's 4 blocks around a center park, if I recall. Ice cream store, the groceries, a few shops that sell things to the visitors, a deli... like that. I don't know if there are other shops elsewhere on the island, but I'm kinda doubting it, unless you count the shops at the wharf where you can buy an ice cream, bait, or such.

As suggested, if you do move, you'll probably do best if you can take up hobbies that use the best of the island - fishing, water fun, or crafts. What a great chance to learn to scuba, or have a life at an easier pace than most cities. No traffic, no lights, not a lot of cabs or buses. A truly beautiful, gorgeous place. High peaks, great beaches, picturesque rows of trees, horses grazing... you may love it and never leave.

Hey, if you like movies a lot but don't have a theater? Rent them and show them on the side of your house and invite the neighbors. If you like shopping, then go online, or else take the ferry over to Maui and ask your coworkers what they need. Like to cook? Learn new dishes, and share them with new friends.

Be a good island neighbor and people will welcome you faster than if you are a complainer or continually compare life there to where ever you come from.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 33,520 times
First wanted to say - thanks so much for all of your wonderful suggestions. My husband and I lived on Maui about 8 yrs ago. We loved it but there were drawbacks as well. We lived in Kihei. The main reason we left was #1 family being so far away and #2 work permits. We are Canadian so work permits became an issue. Would not be a problem this time. The biggest difference between now and then is that we have a 4 yr old girl. There's so much more to consider like good healthcare, education etc. What did we (I) love about Maui - the people, the outdoors, climate, beaches etc I did scuba while living on Maui but haven't done it since leaving. Funny enough, I have missed Hawaii pretty much every day since we left.

That all being said, we are now used to living in a BIG city in Canada. Shopping, groceries, everything is just a step away. I'm worried about housing too. It seems like it would be tough to find a place to live. Hmmmm. We're really sitting on the fence here. I just don't know if I can pass up the opportunity to live in Hawaii again. The ocean is calling me……

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Oh and another question. Someone mentioned that we would live on Maui and my husband would take the ferry over to Lanai. We thought of that but isn't it $60/day?? Seems pretty expensive. Are there other options?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
The ferry has a pass, I think monthly. For sure they have kaamaaina discounts, with valid ID. Often work will subsidize the pass. Get the pricing by calling the ferry folks (just Google ferry maui) then talk with the potential employer about picking up some of that cost.

Right now the ferry is only running from Lahaina, not Maalaea, due to a drop in business. You would have a whole lot more choices for shopping and entertainment in the Lahaina area. And it has increased a lot since you've been here. A lot-lot-lot!

Lahaina now has a high end grocery store, more mini malls, and the Kapalua area has just exploded.

Question - if your husband commutes to Lanai, how would he get to work? If the job is with one of the Four Seasons, they have a shuttle.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes, he would take the hotel shuttle. I'm not sure he would want to make that commute each day. Here he has a 1 hr commute now and isn't happy with it. The good news is I could travel to Lahaina alot if we lived in Lanai city. That would be fun.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Those i know some who do contracting or work on Lanai and live on maui don't commute every day. they get a crash pad where 3 people may share the house and they work their week at the job and go back to maui on the days off.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM

33 posts, read 130,565 times
I was on vacation in Lanai in 2005 for 1 month. The island is beautiful, the hotels, beach and hills/mountains are beautiful, but I would not want to live there. Lanai has 2 grocery stores with very limited selections of all things. There are a few restaurants and that's about it (other than the 2 big resorts). The pace of life is very slow. It's great for vacation, but not for everyday life IMHO.

Lanai is very underdeveloped compared to Maui. It doesn't have condo developments etc like Maui. It's a very small town. Although, you can take the ferry boat across to Maui for about $50 per person to pick up any supplies you need, and to get a taste of city life.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:34 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
I've visited Lanai for leisure and work about 25 times. I know a few residents there and understand their daily lives.

Here is what you should know about Lanai.

-No traffic lights. Some street lights at certain areas.
-The entire city shuts down with sunset.
-All infrastructure like cable and telephone services are through Maui.
-No full emergency medical facilities. Emergencies get helicoptered out to Maui or Oahu.
-Most locals go to Oahu or Maui for Doctors or Dental services.
-2 small general grocery stores. Fresh produce comes once a week by barge. If waters are unstable, the barge doesn't come until the next week.
-Gas cost the highest over all islands.
-Electricity cost highest over all islands.
-Restaurant at Manele Bay Hotel and Koele Hotel but very expensive. About 4 local plate lunch and sandwich shops in Town Square.
-Activites available are, visiting Manele Bay beach, golfing, hiking, game hunting, horseback riding. These are not suggestions but your ONLY options of activities other than what you do in the confines of your home.
-There is someone on island that has a service which takes a hummer once a week on the ferry to Maui Costco for groceries.
-Everything is usually bought online.
-If you understand what living rural is like, and this is what you may desire, than Lanai may be what you're looking for. If you have to ask "if you may get bored" then it is a very good indication that it is totally not for you. You will have done everything there is to do within a weekend, and get bored within 2 weeks. Lanai is extremely different than any other island, it is not similar to Molokai either. If you contemplate Lanai ANY further, there is nothing more you can get from this forum, and you should spend a weekend there. Catch the ferry or a flight and you can stay at the affordable Hotel Lanai. Rent and outragously priced jeep, or if you know someone on island they will know someone who is willing to rent their vehicle to you for cash at affordable prices.

There are many Haoles and there and a lot recently introduced Filipino immigrants that barely speak english. Most Haoles are rich Californians that have second homes there, others are there for work in management for Four Seasons or for Castle & Cooke / Lanai Builders development company. Most haole transplant workers usually stay for about 3 or so years then move on. They enjoy the quiet and very slow pace and the quirkiness that comes with rural living. So while you are there, buy a 48" flat screen tv with surround sound entertainment system. Get a Wii game system. Find a place to rent with a open air porch. Entertain yourself with DVDs or many books and dine al fresco under the stars. If you get bored then take a day or weekend trip to Maui by ferry or Oahu by small 10 seat cessna planes.

That is what Lanai is like.

You can also consider it as a place to experience for a few years and move on if too bored. When the economy picks up you can look to relocate to another island.

Good luck.

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 10-20-2010 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui