Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,245 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone.

I will be moving to Maui by the end of August/beginning September. I would like to bring my cat with me. I have contactd the Hawaii department of agriculture and gotten the checklist for the five days or less quarantine. What I'd like to know is does anyone have any personal experience they can share with me about moving their pets to the island? How did this trip affect him/her? What was your experience with the department of agriculture, etc.

ANY insights would be greatly appreicated!

Also, on employment....

What do you do, or plan on doing?

My husband is a carpentar (jack of ALL trades, really, but a union carpentar currently) so, he is pretty lucky. Everywhere we went last fall in Oahu and Maui, we were being told how "in demand" responsible skilled carpentars were.

I currently work for Sony as an "analyst"- so, basically, many office/adminitsrative/communication/presentation skills, etc. I'd like to break into something radically different though..... Something in party/event planning, even if it just on a volunteer basis, to start (I will do whatever I need to for money- wait tables, maybe administrative work in the hospitality industry, etc) I've been planning and executing parties (including my wedding, last fall) over the past 2 years and keep being told by EVERYONE that I should charge for what I do, because I do it extremely well. I realize that I really enjoy it (even the myriad details and related stress) and I LOVE making people happy.....

So, yeah, that is my little "secret" (now less so- LOL) dream.

~*~ Mahalo in advance ~*~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
I would say "it depends," based on your cat's age, general health, and disposition. If your cat has flown and been boarded before, it shouldn't be a lot worse. If not, you have to kind of guess how he/she will react. I don't know where you're moving from, but be sure to get detailed information about what to expect when you land with your cat.

The job market in Hawaii has been very good for skilled/educated people. However, the cost of living is so high that other than professionals, many (most) people work two or three jobs. While the economy has been good, there has been very high demand for good workers. With unemployment really low, employers have had a hard time filling positions with highly-qualified staff. I don't know what the slow-down will do. The state is very dependent on tourism, and if they don't come, it won't get built (or bought).

Old 04-30-2008, 06:25 PM

90 posts, read 296,797 times
Carpenters are in demand here. New structures are always being built.
As far as party/event planning goes, it's Maui. People fly in from all over the world to get married here so I'd imagine there's a lot of work there.
Not much just for parties though. We plan our own parties here. It's rare that you'll find a local that wants a planner.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM

210 posts, read 972,265 times
Patty, we are also moving to Maui from NY, maybe we should get in touch? where are you moving from?
we are young professionals, 30 years old, russian
We also have a cat and I dont know how it will be with her, pretty freaked about it

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-08-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: please do not give out your phone# for safety reasons. thanks

Old 08-31-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,803 times
Hello,my name is Sebastian and i am thinking about moving to Maui.I am a restaurant manager in Los Angeles.I would like to know if i can get that kind of job easily.I do not really care about making a lot of money.My concern is that i am still paying for my car and i need at least to have 400 dollars left only for that a the and of the month.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,084 times
Hi Patty,

There are a couple of other recent threads about bringing over pets, you can search for them or scroll around. Lots of good information and opinions there already.

Party/event/wedding planners abound here - the trick is to find the clients and of course you'll need to become familiar with the area & resources. If I were a bride, I'd want to hire someone who knew the beaches with the best backgrounds (Big Beach, Maui Prince), when the wind starts (11am in Kihei), which photographers to use, etc. You'll need to get oriented to Maui to do that. Make friends with photographers - they have to know all of that and they aren't your competition.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 30,320 times
Default Maui a Great Experience

Your husband is selecting the right demanding job as carpenter. The 2 main industries on Maui are agriculture and tourism. However, Govt. research department and high-tech companies have discovered that Maui has a business is conducive to growth in these sectors. The value-added agricultural enterprises are increasingly rapidly.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:06 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonwilliam View Post
Your husband is selecting the right demanding job as carpenter. The 2 main industries on Maui are agriculture and tourism. However, Govt. research department and high-tech companies have discovered that Maui has a business is conducive to growth in these sectors. The value-added agricultural enterprises are increasingly rapidly.
This thread is a couple of years old, so I imagine the OPs have things sorted out by now. The big news today is that the feds are devoting a big pile of money to new construction on Oahu, $2.1 Billion I believe, so that will have positive impact on all the construction trades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui