Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,461 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Wailuku in 2010, I had some favorite spots such as Sam Satos for tasty noodles, TJ's Warehouse Outlet for bentos, or just head over to Mana Foods for groceries.

I'll be on the west side this time near Kaanapali. I'm not familiar with the area. Where should I go grocery shopping? What's some reasonably priced tasty food? ... or other things I should know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Kaanapali is pretty small so I'm guessing if a place exists, it's a local favorite

Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 PM

337 posts, read 613,371 times
Closest places to Kaanapali for reasonable groceries is going to be going up to Honokowai to Times and the Farmers/fish market up there on Lower Honoapiilani Rd. And Safeway/Foodland in Lahaina town.

For decent priced eateries there's CJ's deli & Diner above Kaanapali which is really close by. Or you can go down to Honokowai to eat around Times supermarket. There's a few places like Honokowai Okazuya for plate lunches, Fish Market, Java Jazz, Sangarita for non hotel priced foods. The food court in the cannery downstairs has some affordable fair, and you can head down to the cannery mall food court for some others. Around there there's Aloha mixed plate, smokehouse bbq, teddy's burgers, all around front street, but not on front street itself. Mama's ribs n rotiserrie for a rib/chicken plate lunch out in Napili

Star Noodle is a good place along with Lyoda's in Olowalu, not cheap, but you should eat there. Its becoming a local favorite.

Gazebo has a good breakfast.

China Boat in Kahana has a decently priced Chinese menu if you're tired of other stuff.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I'll be on the west side this time near Kaanapali. I'm not familiar with the area. Where should I go grocery shopping? What's some reasonably priced tasty food? ... or other things I should know about.
Google Maps has a nifty feature... pull up your location... in this case Kaanapali... then click on "Search Nearby" and select a category to search on.

For example, searching on"Kaanapali" for "grocery" turned up: Times Supermarket, 3350 Lower Honoapiilani Rd #101, Lahaina, HI, about a mile up the road.

Doing the same search on "restaurant" turned up 10 listings nearby. Then you can use Yelp! to check reviews, etc.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Closest places to Kaanapali for reasonable groceries is going to be going up to Honokowai to Times and the Farmers/fish market up there on Lower Honoapiilani Rd. And Safeway/Foodland in Lahaina town.

For decent priced eateries there's CJ's deli & Diner above Kaanapali which is really close by. Or you can go down to Honokowai to eat around Times supermarket. There's a few places like Honokowai Okazuya for plate lunches, Fish Market, Java Jazz, Sangarita for non hotel priced foods. The food court in the cannery downstairs has some affordable fair, and you can head down to the cannery mall food court for some others. Around there there's Aloha mixed plate, smokehouse bbq, teddy's burgers, all around front street, but not on front street itself. Mama's ribs n rotiserrie for a rib/chicken plate lunch out in Napili

Star Noodle is a good place along with Lyoda's in Olowalu, not cheap, but you should eat there. Its becoming a local favorite.

Gazebo has a good breakfast.

China Boat in Kahana has a decently priced Chinese menu if you're tired of other stuff.
Excellent. Thank you!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:23 PM

451 posts, read 412,343 times
I second Mama's in Napili. It's the sort of joint I love to go to. It's small, likely family owned, no frills place with outside seating. It's located next door to the Napili Market. They have a teriyaki-citrus chicken that is outstanding and
surprisingly good ribs. Best to get there before closing as they do sell out.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM

280 posts, read 473,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Google Maps has a nifty feature... pull up your location... in this case Kaanapali... then click on "Search Nearby" and select a category to search on.

For example, searching on"Kaanapali" for "grocery" turned up: Times Supermarket, 3350 Lower Honoapiilani Rd #101, Lahaina, HI, about a mile up the road.

Doing the same search on "restaurant" turned up 10 listings nearby. Then you can use Yelp! to check reviews, etc.

Good luck!

Or just take a peak at the Menu as you are walking by. Some of the best places I have ate were on a whim just peaking at the menu/prices.

I just found this little taco truck on S. Kihei called Horhitos Tequeria. I'd walk passed it at least a dozen times without realizing it was there and $2 steak tacos cannot be beat on Maui. I am in no way affiliated with them.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
There's a taco truck at the train station at the intersection of Honoapiilani and Puukolii called Jawz that our friends who live on the Hillside like. There's also a new pancake/breakfast spot in the same Honokowai center as the Times Market called Slappy Jacks. And the farmer's market (M/W/F from 7am to 11 am) across from the Honokowai beach park has good local produce/fruit and ready-to-eat foods. (They also run the health food market at the end of the parking lot. More grocery and ready-to-eat foods, a hot and cold bar, and smoothies.)

Enjoy.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
Or just take a peak at the Menu as you are walking by. Some of the best places I have ate were on a whim just peaking at the menu/prices.

I just found this little taco truck on S. Kihei called Horhitos Tequeria. I'd walk passed it at least a dozen times without realizing it was there and $2 steak tacos cannot be beat on Maui. I am in no way affiliated with them.
Shhh don't let people know about this place.

lol I love the chicken with chipotle sauce, but then we tried the steak taco with the chipotle sauce added and loved it.

But seriously no, don't go try it. Go away. My taco truck, You can't have it.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
When I lived in Wailuku in 2010, I had some favorite spots such as Sam Satos for tasty noodles, TJ's Warehouse Outlet for bentos, or just head over to Mana Foods for groceries.

Okay fine, one more freebie. Safeway seafood section. Instead of ordering half a pound of poke for lunch get the poke bowl with rice. Usually for 8.99 you can get 3/4 of a pound of poke over hot rice, and its cheaper than most plate lunch places. Hard to imagine cheaper poke bowl prices than Costco or Tamura's exists, but there it is.

Note: Yes they use frozen poke cubes to get those prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui