Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 PM

71 posts, read 646,835 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I live on Oahu and am coming to visit Maui this week. I am trying to decide on a hotel but am not sure which town would be best. Any suggestions as to where to stay that would be most convenient? I guess not in the middle of nowhere and not in the middle of a huge crowd either? Thanks for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM

200 posts, read 1,022,107 times
Default places to stay

If you are looking to stay out of the busy sections of Maui (which really aren't that busy anyway -You should look into Wailea area (Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, Marriott) All very nice. Further down the road is the Maui Prince Hotel, a little more privacy and they have some nice rates right now. Aloha

Old 06-07-2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks for your help! Which towns in Maui are the more busy places? I wish I knew more about Maui! Coming from Oahu, I am just worried about traffic and not being able to get to places very easily. I guess there aren't any places on Maui anything like they are on Oahu?! If they aren't very crowded, many they would be better to stay there because there is more to do?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
you can also stay at the little hotel next to or at the mana kai in so. kihei, just past kam 3 beach. it is close to town and has a huge beach to walk. not as far down and out of the action as maui prince, which is about 15 mins. or so past here. kihei is at least 45 mins away from lahaina. if you wanted to stay at that end there are lots of spots that way too. what is it that you plan on doing? oyou will have a car?

Old 06-07-2009, 05:12 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,996 times
Would it be unreasonable to ask WHY you're coming to Maui? Planning to have to travel all over the island? Or having meetings and/or sessions based in/near one particular area?

The main airport (and seaport) is at Kahului. It's kind of a warehouse/big-box-store area. The closest "town" is Wailuku, which is the county seat. The closest resort area is (probably) Kihei. And/or Wailiea, depending upon your preferences for accommodation brands. West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili, Kapalua) are a bit more of a drive (kind of like Kaneohe/Kailua if you're on Oahu).

Where you really want to stay depends upon where your work/preferences might take you. Both resort areas -- South Maui (Kihei, Wailea, Makena) and West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili, Kapalua) cover the "escape" themes with great beaches, hikes, and scenery. If you want "convenience" for work reasons (to airport and/or county offices) "Central Maui" is better.

There are no "huge crowds" on Maui a la Waikiki. There is some "rush hour" traffic due to the unavailabilty of affordable housing near resorts and some weekend "beach crowding" because -- you know -- people are off!

A little more info about the kind of place you'd like to stay (close to what, amenities, prices, etc., would be helpful) if you don't mind.

E komo mai!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 AM

Default Maui visit

Thanks for all of the help!

I am coming to Maui just for fun! No plans yet but I would like to see as much of the island as I can. I have heard Lahaina is a pretty neat town and have considered staying there but wasn't sure if it was going to seem too far away from popular sight seeing, etc. Would the middle of the island be best because it's in between everything? Are there any places I should not stay or go? There's always places on Oahu people warn you to stay away from and I'm not sure if it's the same on other islands.

Also while I am getting so much help.. since I am going to be somewhat touristy while I am there, are there any things I have to do or see that are the best? So far on my list are Road to Hana and Molokini.

Thanks for everything!

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

I probably would not choose the "middle" of the island. While it seems practical for being centrally-located, you'd really have only two choices of where to stay: Kahului (where the airport and dock are -- the rest is mostly warehouses and big box stores) or Maalaea. The latter is at least on a bay, but you wouldn't have many choices about lodging -- it's mostly condos.

I'd say either Lahaina (or one of the West Maui resorts) or South Maui (Kihei or Wailea) would give you the most options for rooms and dining, and both have beautiful beaches.

The road to Hana is an all-out, all-day trip if you don't stay over while you're there. The drive is gorgeous, but you can turn around when you've had enough, you know. Molokini is nice -- sometimes a little crowded and sometimes a little littered from overuse. There are plenty of great walk-in snorkel and/or dive sites in West Maui and South Maui unless you just want the boat trip out there. Upcountry is gorgeous, too, especially this time of year when it can be hot on the beaches. If you're not up for driving all the way to the top of Haleakala, it's a nice drive from Paia to Makawao to Kula with great views as you climb up.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:30 PM

352 posts, read 483,064 times
I just got back from Maui last week and there really isnt much in the way of traffic. Compared to Waikiki its nothing . I have been 5 or 6 times now to Maui, its my all time favorite ! Within those times, I have only stayed in Napili Bay/Kapalua and the Wailea area. I couldnt tell you about Kaanapali Beach, but LOVE Lahaina . Ive been all over the island , but I cant choose what is my favorite part ! rent a car and see the whole island !

Old 02-27-2010, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 38,463 times
Does anyone know if the water is warmer in South Maui vs. West Maui?
I like warm ocean temperatures, like 84 degrees or higher, similar to Naples, Florida.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM

There is very little change in ocean temperatures on beaches around Maui. Areas that get open ocean currents (and some channels) can get a cooler flow, but there is typically a 3-4 degree variation from one location to another on any given day.

Time of year will be a much larger factor in determining the water temps for you. July through October typically have the highest ocean temps, gradually declining through April, then starting to warm again in May. Overall, though, the range doesn't usually vary in the spots NODC measures more than 10 degrees throughout the year.

Naples is on the Gulf, isn't it? I'd say it's rare for coastal waters as remote as Hawaii's in an ocean as big (and deep) as the Pacific to warm to the levels of the Gulf of Mexico.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui