Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:06 AM

96 posts, read 619,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
Thanks for all of the help!

I am coming to Maui just for fun! No plans yet but I would like to see as much of the island as I can. I have heard Lahaina is a pretty neat town and have considered staying there but wasn't sure if it was going to seem too far away from popular sight seeing, etc. Would the middle of the island be best because it's in between everything? Are there any places I should not stay or go? There's always places on Oahu people warn you to stay away from and I'm not sure if it's the same on other islands.

Also while I am getting so much help.. since I am going to be somewhat touristy while I am there, are there any things I have to do or see that are the best? So far on my list are Road to Hana and Molokini.

Thanks for everything!
I dont live on Maui but visited last year from da Big Island for a few days with family. We were in Lahaina and were able to drive all along the coast and enjoy the great beaches on that side, Lahaina as more people/tourists etc. than say Kihei or Kaanapali but nothing compared to Honolulu so wouldnt worry about that. We drove to Hana and drove up to Haleakala, hiked around Iao Valley and drove all along the coast to Kaanapali. I would recommend doing sunrise at Haleakala, it was so amazing and spiritual, though it did suck to wake up at 2am, dress warm if you go as it was cold and windy when we happened to visit. Molokini is a good choice for snorkel. If you go to Hana you might as well drive to Seven Sacred Pools as that is a neat sight and youre already on that side. Anyways enjoy your little getaway, its nice to take mini trips to the other islands and see things you may not have on the island you call home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,602 times
Default Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
Hi!
I live on Oahu and am coming to visit Maui this week. I am trying to decide on a hotel but am not sure which town would be best. Any suggestions as to where to stay that would be most convenient? I guess not in the middle of nowhere and not in the middle of a huge crowd either? Thanks for your help!!!!
Kihei is really hot and dusty so if you have allergy's Kihei is not for you. Kihei is great for its beaches and its still close to all the major shopping stores.
Lahaina is a distance from the airport and is hot all the time so if you hate to much dry hot heat then Lahaina is not for you. Lahaina has some nice beaches and its famous front street.
Right passed Lahaina is Honokowai, Napili and Kahana the weather usually has a nice wind and a lot of times will mist. Which is nice. But it gets kinda costly here. Very beautiful and a real tourist attraction.
Kahului is the main town which is where the airport is located. The weather is usually nice and it is cheaper in Kahului then anywhere else on Maui. Also it has Walmart, K-mart, and Costco.
There is not much in Wailuku but it has the nicest whether in my opinion.
The cheapest Hotel I know is Maui Sea Side a local little hotel with a nice restaurant.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Epic - I believe QuartB took his trip 3 years ago and doesn't even live in Hawaii anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui