Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM

70 posts, read 288,091 times

Advertisements

aloha

so a continuation from yesterdays post...

it might be helpfull..

so i made a date with moving ...no so hard ..just look at a calender and go for it ...

next...this was really fun ...the airline..
what a game it has become ...you go into the web and over a few months lol you list dates ..times and going from to where and let it spit out your todays deal of the day ....

geeze it changes all the time ...how i love to be living in the airline land of do i book now or will i find a better deal tommorrow...nothing like consumer confidence in yoiur product ...nothing like the joke the plane only crashes once ...

well i booked a ticket with company A... and they state if they offer a lower fair you will get a credit not money back...

OK.. thats fair BUT you have to have a lower fair for same date ..same time which is never that...got to love the airlines ...

so i book ticket ...3 months later geeze a lower fair ...try to get credit what a convuluted discussion with customer rep...but after 30 minutes i got a partial credit to THEIR game...

NEXT UP

where to stay ...lots of research to find condo / apt ...especiaaly over phone or net..

but i found ...yikes MAUI is in economic dire straights ...found condo list at a price and one phone call later it dropped $ 400.00 over web listing ...

so i send money and move on...

the web ..what an amazing library..

on this forum over the last fews months etc you find out how much milk is ...well to me if i cant afford milk i cand afford MAUI...

but with the search engines you can go search ...the box stores..the markets and cash and carry on Maui and see the weekly specials...

geeze its not so bad...REALLY

i am shipping my vehicle ..its a cartell ...so i just go with that flow ..seattle to maui ..one price ..thats it ..follow the rules...

the house stuff...try one long garage sale cause with shipping being insane in price and do i need it ...ITS GOTTA GO

i am at 21 days today before i give up the oregon coast and i live on the coast its 120 steps down to the beach ...its a nice day today but yesterday in sept it rained and was cloudy and UGLY ..

i dont think Maui offers that ....

so i do all the research and find i am finding new stuff to learn about ...except one big dilema ...maybe you can help ...,

HOW many pairs of socks do i pack ????? to wear with my sandals

life has many dilemas... this is just one story in the naked jungle...

mahalo

xstonedrocker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,043 times
Aloha,
I have done a series of threads on the cost of certain items and some others have joined in the fun and research . Now as to socks.... we found in our research that socks as important as they seem to be especially on the Mainland they do not have such demand on the Islands. Im thinking its because of the fashion statement of what color socks do you wear with your most favorite pair of orange crocs? Or even with your black Slippah's? When your going out shopping in your flowered board shorts and striped shirt?

We here at the City-Data have found that socks are not needed for the most part. We also found out that you may need them if your going hiking or even running (but then you can wear those always cool half socks aka low rise..
you might want to get maybe 1 or 2 pair of dress socks but still not mandatory.

So to sum it up here.... Socks Don't Wear Em! Don't Need Em!

Mahalo!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,042,623 times
no socks needed in maui and please no socks ever with sandals not even on the mainland!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,460,739 times
I swear that I am the only person who freezes here in the winter. Bring socks, it gets cool and rainy in the winter and you might need to bundle up!!!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:19 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,980 times
If you plan on hiking or running (as mentioned by KoaKine) you will certainly need socks (your suffer with the resulting blisters).

It can get cold during the winter (especially if you are upcountry) and you may wish to wear shoes if it is raining.

You certainly will not need an extensive sock wardrobe but a few pairs of sports socks an possibly two pair of dress socks (in case of a wedding or 'event' where slacks (usually khakis) and an aloha shirt is expected.

I am glad that you realize that with a little research you can find necessary items (milk, etc) at a reasonable price. I hope that you will settle in comfortably and enjoy your life here.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,051,580 times
You wear socks more often than neck ties around here. Hmm, I don't know ANYONE who wears ties except those religious fellows who wear black pants, white shirts, neckties and ride bicycles. I'm not sure which religion they are, but they wear neckties a lot. Socks, too, for that matter. Sometimes there will be a manufacturer's rep from the mainland or some other misguided sales person who shows up wearing a tie but that usually doesn't last long.

My DH wears loads of those half high socks when he's teaching school but that's because he's a shop teacher and has to wear steel toed safety shoes. A lot of the other teachers wear slippers so they don't wear socks. When my toesies get chilled in wintertime, I just swipe a pair of his sockles and wear them with my fuzzy slippers. That's about all the sock wearing I manage.

If you are upcountry where it is cooler, you may want to bring more socks. And probably pick the warmer ones. If you are living by the beach, you probably won't wear that many socks at all. Just IMHO, YMMV.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM

Default mahalo a further continuation ...Where do i buy

Aloha ...continuing the discussion of items needed or not for living in or on Maui..

Socks ...i thank those who responded that helped so very much ...

but ... why dont orange { or name a color } socks come automatically with crocs ??? what a great Maui marketing idea click click click

as far as socks in winter YOU MEAN Maui has a WINTER ???? i think i will just have to have a place to sleep in kihei in the COLD MONTHS and move to upcountry in the summer that should solve that problem ..

i wonder if a certain list has sock rentals ??????

NOW the big problem on moving ...Looking for some helpfull info ...

I understand Maui runs on as other islands do ...ON MAUI TIME ...

where do or where can i find stores that sell Maui time watches ????

i mean i know for a fact that watches as worn on a wrist were such a 20 th century contraption...this is the 21 st century ...soooooooo

would this MAUI watch be made on maui ??
would this watch actually MOVE ??
would this watch use the Hawaiin alphabet instead of numbers ???

where do i find it ??? cosco hmmm...abcdef stores ,,,, geeze i really do need to move to MAUI

for those who responded to this thread .... mahalo ... to the ONE person who read the thread and DID NOT respond as to ... wow this dude is crazy ...i want you to knopw ..i have a few letters from some very wonderfull bed and breakfast and dinner hospitals certifying YOU ARE correct...

rule 62 .. dont take life too seriously ...

mahalo ..have a great weekend ... more to be revealed

xstonedrocker

Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Default moving to hawaii ... mahalo

eeks i wrote my last post on my own thread instead of a new one ..

a virgin computer user ..

so my assignment for today

go to yesterdays post on socks ... and figure out how to do it right...

xstonedrocker

ps ...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,043 times
Aloha

Here at the City-Data Research labs we have done extensive research on Maui time AKA Island time (to be found in the thread Island time fact or fiction) and have discovered that it's real but the marketing of a time peice hasn't been possible yet. Here at R & D we are having dificulty finding the unstable power source that will speed up and slow don randomly wit more emphasis on the slow part. Any donations to this would be greatly appreciated .

Mahalos

Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,042,623 times
you can arrive on island with nothing except a wallet and find everything you need here, socks, watches and all. yes we do have winter and after you have been here for a few of them you will be able to tell the difference between the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: