Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live there. This was brought up by someone else a week ago too, about this apt building. It's very low class. When I lived downtown, I saw some VERY shady people going in and out, loitering out front. It may have gotten better. But...they offer 1 BR's for $400 and 2 BR's for $440....so you can imagine what type of people go for that.

Unfortunately in Memphis, because of the large amount of poverty here, cheap rent usually means either an unsafe area or a bad building. Exchange is in the heart of downtown, totally safe area. But I would assume the building is old, not updated, and has some iffy people living in it.

Also look at the Number 10 Main apts...their one bedroom may be within his price range. Great building.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,869 times
I lived in Uptown Square, and I liked it. I had a two-story townhouse. I like that I could park at my own back door. This is a very mixed community. There are a lot of doctors from St. Jude, but 30% of the units are reserved for low income. They have to take classes on how to live appropriately, hold a job, and get monthly checks on their apartment. As a result, about 1/3 of the apartments are kind of a ghetto element, but I never had any problem with it. I always felt very safe. The bad part is that you are downtown but can't really walk anywhere. If I was going out, I would walk to Beale then take a cab home. But it is about a 15-20 minute walk, and I wouldn't do it at night alone. The location makes it amazingly easy to get around. I can get pretty much anywhere in Midtown or Downtown within five minutes, and the interstate is a minute away. I think I'd pay a little more to live off of main street so that I could easily walk to restaurants and bars, but you lose the ability to park at your door. Also, if you can't tolerate living around low income blacks, then you won't like it. Though, like I said, I never experienced any problems and my neighbors were all friendly.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 34,876 times
I have lived in uptown square apartment for 2 years now in a 1bedroom townhome. I like U-S because it's gated, 24 hr security that is actually there the entire 24hrs. I have locked myself out at all times of the night and unlockinig is free. I work nights (12am-8am)-I know it sucks! and I feel very safe leaving for work in the middle of the night. I am a female and I live alone. Police presence is very heavy of course since we are essentially 1 block over from the jail. I have had no problems with crime and have not heard of any in the area where I live. I love that the complex is gated and the gates work 98% of the time if not more. I'm actually moving into a 2br flat in september when my current lease is up. I like uptown because it is downtown, safe, close enough to downtown happenings without all the "cruising" noise you would be sure to get in a apartment further downtown. I would recommend uptown square to anyone looking to live in downtown memphis. Your son has a rent max of $700. He could easily get a 1br flat for less than that or about and definitely a studio for probably $600 or so. I would go with the flat. The apartments are not small as another poster suggested. They have many different floor plans to choose from. Depending on what you're looking for. It's definitely worth checking out. their # is 523-8662.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:07 AM

Also look at the Number 10 Main apts...their one bedroom may be within his price range. Great building.[/quote]
Yeah right, Number 10 main won't have a studio in his price range. That's one of the most expensive apartments in downtown and the noise is deafening even high up and there is even more of a "shady element" as you guys call it around #10. Peeing in alleys, public sex, just visit paul ryburn's blog and see for yourself what he has to say about panhandlers and the like in that area. YUCK! It's a huge problem. Also please go to Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters and look at what others have to say about the complexes your looking at. Keep in mind that sometimes people only rate an apt when they have a bad experience i.e with mgmt or something so some may be fueled by that but definitely take a look.

As a previous poster stated 30% of uptown's apts are reserved for low income-ONLY 30%!! Many of the other residents are hospital professionals, students, etc. There is an awesome pool that is kept very clean, fitness room, computer/copier area, pool table/tv area. Central station won't have anything in his price range and neither would gayoso or pembroke for that matter. Most of the those apartments start at $800 and up with very little space and let's not mention the noise on weekends, bike night wednesdays and the like.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM

I looked at No 10's prices within the past year and the one bedrooms were in the $700's. Unless they went up drastically, they would be around this person's price range. And if it's so horrible - why does Paul Ryburn love it so much and comment about how he'd never live anywhere else?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM

Of course he does. I didn't say those would make him think about moving. He lists the good and the bad. For him, I'm sure the positives of living there outweigh the negative, but would that be the same for a person who just moved to the city? I also posted the apartment ratings site as a further but not definitive reference. I have inquired about prices within the last week or two and none in central station, gayoso, #10, pembroke were under $800. The OP said his son was looking to spend $550-$700. Since he went as low as $550, I'm thinking they don't really want to go much higher than that and live in a can. I gave my opinion on those places as compared to the place the OP asked about-uptown square. While there is a senior facility across the street from uptown, the noise level and traffic congestion is much better than any of those other places and I don't expect to be hit up for whiskey money by 5 different bums while walking the block or two to the nearest drug store.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM

But the nearest drug store is quite a ways away, Walgreens, which is right next door to No. 10 Main.

They both have pros and cons. I think safety-wise, something like Pembroke or No. 10 Main would be more safe than Uptown, just due to security codes, the fact they are so open to the tourist areas, etc. But of course, there are tons of bums downtown on Main St, although I see plenty of bums hanging at the corner of Uptown and the Bail bonds places on Lauderdale. Maybe they mind their own business, but anyone hanging out at a bail bonds place...IS a criminal. Bums may or may not be.

The Island is a good place to live....the cheapest would be Riverset Apts, but I don't know if they are within the $500-700 range.

Other than that, he can find plenty of small units in Midtown for that price.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:32 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I looked at No 10's prices within the past year and the one bedrooms were in the $700's. Unless they went up drastically, they would be around this person's price range. And if it's so horrible - why does Paul Ryburn love it so much and comment about how he'd never live anywhere else?
Everyone I know that lives in Number 10 Main loves it. It is a little more unsafe than Uptown because you have to leave the building and walk into a detached parking garage, which can be shady late at night. That is the only complaint I hear from the residents that live there. The roof is awesome, and the social scene is great. It is definitely the place to live for people looking to be in the downtown social scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: