Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,140 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Memphis (working at Methodist) and am so lost on finding a place to move! I've been told to live on Mud Island, but all the online reviews of the top apartment complexes there are terrible! Is downtown safe? Is midtown very far from the hospital? I'd like to stay within a 15 minute commute but safety is my top priority (girl living alone) and I can't really afford anything >$850/month.
I know a lot of people have been talking about this online but does anyone have specific apartment complexes/communities they'd recommend? I'd like to get some names before I drive down to Memphis to check 'em out. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Which Methodist? The University/Central one on Union Ave?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM

yes-That's the one!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Anything on mud island is safe. I don't know specifics about how nice each apt complex is, but they are all safe and the island itself is nice. $850 might be too little for most of the complexes there however. Riverset is the oldest one, so it is probably the cheapest. Downtown as a whole is very safe, but pricey.

The hospital is in midtown, right at the very western edge. Midtown has great areas, but also very bad areas. Midtown also doesn't really have apt complexes; it's mainly houses that are rented out, turned into duplexes, etc. One 'complex' that comes to mind always is The Gilmore at Madison and McLean. I've heard lots of people say they loved living there and honestly I cannot think of reading any negative reviews or hearing of people hating their experience there. It's very close to Methodist.

There is also a apt complex RIGHT next door to Methodist called Bristol on Union. I have heard good things, but I have also heard it can be noisy depending on what side you are on (it's right on Union which is busy, also faces the interstate, and of course is next to the hospital which has ambulances).

Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,812 times
I work at the same hospital and live WAY out in Germantown. I've been looking around downtown/midtown myself because I hate driving 30 minutes. And I've considered the island, except the fact that ALL of the reviews are bad pretty much. The Estates at River Pointe actually have a special now. I called and the lady said the 1 bedrooms are $849 plus 1 month free. The thing that has me worried is they have 18 of these available+bad reviews. It's an 8 minute drive tops from mud island to the hospital.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 10,031 times
What about Metro 67 downtown? You'd be maybe 15 minutes in traffic from the hospital, much less when not, and I've heard great things about it. I can't say I know the rent rates though, they aren't listed on the site but you can call and get them. The building is downtown, which in my opinion is pretty safe. I live right around the corner. Your neighbors would probably be all the UofM law students - their gorgeous building is right across the street.

Metro 67 - Apartments in Memphis

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it so much. I will definitely see if I can get the same special from the estates at riverpointe!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,812 times
My friend lives at estates and said she loved it. And another person on here recommended them to me. I'm gonna go check them out myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis