Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Absolutely a 'different type of people' are moving to Cordova now. Just as with other parts of the city, a phenomenon known crassly as 'invasion and succession' is happening in Cordova.

What irritates me is that just because black people and lower-middle class families are moving in automatically means that an area is 'is going down the crapper'. You guys use code language way too much.

Personally, I don't think Cordova is great. I don't think it's bad, either. It is what it is.
I agree that the hate Cordova movement is exaggerated. I think it is perpetuated by Germantown residents, who paid much more for their homes and need to justify it, and Desoto County residents, who have an irrational hate-Memphis attitude. Sure, Cordova isn't the great, upscale community of Germantown. But it isn't a bad one either. It has nice neighborhoods and good people. It is becoming more diverse, but so is DeSoto County. Cordova is a fine community for families looking for a newer home and a decent-sized lot. The tax structure differs from that of DeSoto County, but otherwise both are very similar, though Cordova is closer to the more-frequented parts of Memphis. The DeSoto tax structure benefits those who have a lower income and maximize their homes, while the Tennessee/Shelby County tax structure benefits those who have higher incomes and place less value in their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I honestly had no clue that young black people were the people moving to Cordova now. My ideas on it had nothing to do with that. I don't understand why everything gets turned into a "you obviously hate black people" thing. Just because someone doesn't like Cordova? They are afraid of black people moving there? It's like talking to Herenton!!!

Very disingenuous.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times
No, seriously. My thoughts on Cordova have nothing to do with black people. I don't understand why so many Memphians think everything is a racial issue. Our Mayor being a prime example. I hate him because he's a pompous idiot, black, white, whatever.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:43 PM

39 posts, read 178,504 times
Thank you to the one person who attempted to actually answer my question. The rest of you who whined about this area or that being better, black this white that, I hope you're not a representative of what Memphis is like. Geez.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Not sure what you're talking about, but there are plenty of bad areas of Memphis, plenty areas that are better than others. It takes living here to really understand. Hope you are able to find something that suits you.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 PM

43 posts, read 88,084 times
Many of the people who decided to live in Cordova, did so initially because housing was more affordable, and taxes were lower than many other areas....One of the reasons there seems to be a mass exodus is because the taxes are increasing, but that is because the are now in line with taxes throughout the area.....

Last edited by momgonenutzinmem; 08-11-2007 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 AM

39 posts, read 178,504 times
[quote=Pearlbob;1260852]Not sure what you're talking about ... QUOTE] I was talking about the fact that everyone completely lost sight of my original question, which I was still hoping to receive some advice on, but instead everyone decided to use this thread as a means for some boring racial/class war. Oh, and FYI Pearlbob, I do realize that apartments everywhere charge pet fees, but thanks for the ultra-condescending 'get used to it', that was really appreciated. I was referring to the fact that some apts. charge a 200 refundable deposit, and some charge a 500 per dog pet fee (non-refundable) which is ridiculous. It also seems that the prices for pets vary by area. Once again, thanks for not answering my question.l

Old 08-13-2007, 10:41 AM

i apologize if I offended you. I took your questions to mean you had never lived in an aparment before and you didn't understand why everywhere charged pet fees/deposits. My response was that it is something you have to get used to when you are looking for apts. I never seen any complex or even individual house for rent that didn't charge a pet fee or have a nonrefundable deposit.

I guess I do not understand what your question is. Are you asking how to "get around" paying a pet fee/deposit? yes, places charge different ways....that's up to the discretion of each individual apartment complex and I'm not sure how anyone on this forum can help you with that. You will need to inquire about pet fees with each place you are looking at.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:35 PM

232 posts, read 795,925 times
If you want to get around paying the fee, just don't tell them you have a pet. I don't recommend it, because I'm fairly sure that if you were to get caught, you'd be evicted. But, I have several friends that didn't pay that ridiculous non-refundable deposit and never (knock on wood) got caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: