Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Within the last 5 yrs, have you or anyone in your immediate family been a victim of crime?
Yes, I was a victim of larceny 7 14.29%
Yes, I was burglarized 7 14.29%
Yes, my car was stolen 2 4.08%
Yes, I was robbed 2 4.08%
Yes, I was assualted 3 6.12%
Yes, I was raped 1 2.04%
Yes, I was murdered 5 10.20%
None of the above 26 53.06%
View 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM

232 posts, read 796,096 times

Advertisements

And, there is so much history in Orange Mound. They have a very active neighborhood watch program these days and S.M.A.R.T. is supposed to be doing alot to bring that history back into the Mound. Orange Mound was the first African-American neighborhood built by African-Americans.

Most of the crime you hear about is over by South Parkway, Hickory Hill, and I've seen a surprising amount of crime in the Nutbush area recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,487 times
what is the neighbourhood like around graceland i have heard that memphians are really nice and it is a shame that every body puts this city down it is every bodies problem crime is every where and education has a big part to play in all this i will be visiting memphis shortly from england can anyone give me any advice on safety

Last edited by WIRLWIND; 09-29-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 01:56 PM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiepilex View Post
My girlfriends parents think the same way. They grew up in Westwood and think that anything within city limits is terrible (they now live in Lakeland, which is apparently run by gangs and drug lords anyway. ) We're moving right across the street from the new $270K condos on N. Parkway and they are scared to death that we'll get robbed and murdered in our home. Sheesh!
Let us know if you get murdered.
Oh wait.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:24 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIRLWIND View Post
what is the neighbourhood like around graceland i have heard that memphians are really nice and it is a shame that every body puts this city down it is every bodies problem crime is every where and education has a big part to play in all this i will be visiting memphis shortly from england can anyone give me any advice on safety

The neighborhoods around Graceland are beautiful with nice homes on large lots with big mature trees. That area used to be the place to live in the 1960's and 1970's. It was greatly affected by flight in the 1980's and 1990's, but in the last few years there has been a resurgence in the area with many middle class people moving back to the area. Many new homes and upscale neighborhoods are being built in the area, mainly in 38109. The area is predominately black, so some would advise against living there (for what ever reason), but in general a lot of the Whitehaven area is very livable. Most of the crime problems in the area stem from the local apartment complexes. One of the best city schools is also in the area, “John P. Freeman Middle School”. The school has some of the best scores in the state. A family member of mine who recently came back to the area after living in Dallas for the last 25 years settled in Whitehaven and loves it. She got a great deal on a very nice home and the neighborhood is very nice looking. She has not seen any real crime since she has been there and there are many places to shop and stuff. She is also very close to Desoto County, MS which also has many restaurants and stores. Many people count the area out when looking for places to live, and I will admit, I was a little ignorant about the area until I really spent some time there. It is actually not that bad.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 PM

104 posts, read 364,498 times
I think with the current housing bust you'll start to see more and more new faces in town. What's "crime ridden" to some is strictly a matter of perception and point of view. The lure of good cheap houses (and in many cases associated land) has ALWAYS been an attractant to those like myself with a pioneer itch.

Being a NYer I find the Hickory Hill area attractive for nice sized homes at rock bottom prices, but then my immediate area is fairly nice. You see/hear of property and domestic crimes now and then, but no violent crime. Taking moderate precautions that you would in any major metro area has kept this to a minimum.

I'm starting to notice new paler faces (paler than than myself) popping up in the neighborhood lately. There are a few older (older as in lived in the neighborhood longer than I) white faces still on my street, but a lot of South American, Central American and Euro-Asian faces (I think Armenian, or Slavic) and some just-in-from-out-of-town white families taking advantage of good cheap housing.

Nothing as exciting as change, this looks like change for the better.

Ex-Pat

Last edited by expatnortherner; 09-29-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 PM

165 posts, read 461,867 times
Dude, you gotta be in real estate. There's nothing "attractive" about Hickory Hill. It's a blighted area. Much like most of the inner city. You seem to go way overboard with the optimism at times. Next you will be calling Frayser a gold mine.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
In my almost 40 years in the Memphis area, I've had some tools stolen out of an unlocked truck tool box about 20 years ago. This was at Shelby Farms back when the area around Shelby Farms was basically undeveloped.

I've had family members who have been burglarized and cars stolen over the years, so I know it happens. In fact, I have a relative who moved back to the area about 8 years ago and have had their vehicle broken into twice (once in Lakeland and once in Collierville). So I know it goes on and I'm not silly enough to think I can escape something of that nature if I manage to hang on another 40 years.

I also have friends (not originally from Memphis) who were never victims of any kind of crime in Memphis, but spent their entire time here in terror of something happening. They finally pulled up stakes and moved to the Knoxville area and got their car broken into the first week they were there. Sometimes we have good luck, sometimes we have bad luck. Living in Memphis certainly increases the bad luck odds, but it's not as bad here as good in other places as some would lead you to believe.

Anyway, I got to vote none of the above. Knock on wood...hope I haven't cursed myself.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM

hi reading all theese reports from you guys is memphis that bad crime wise i am thinking or was coming to memphis to see graceland what is the crime like around that area my friend said he had been and he said it was very scary around 11 oclock at night can any body comment on this please

Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

hi thanks for that brill advice i will look forward to coming to memphis now especially around graceland its looks so nice from all the photos and seen quite a lot of area to visit beal street union avenue and bb kings mud island thanks for your expert advice

Old 09-30-2009, 01:58 PM

104 posts, read 364,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenuegeye View Post
Dude, you gotta be in real estate. There's nothing "attractive" about Hickory Hill. It's a blighted area. Much like most of the inner city. You seem to go way overboard with the optimism at times. Next you will be calling Frayser a gold mine.
*You* may feel this way, but this reflects *your* view of Hickory Hill. To someone coming from a larger city with true urban blight Hickory Hill seems like a lovely place. As I mentioned, good cheap housing in many cases w/land for bargain prices. Considering I paid close to $3000 per month for a 2 bedroom flat above a deli/grocery store in Manhattan, and was living next to an apartment used as a way station for illegal immigrant smuggling, my modest home in Hickory Hill is a castle.

Just because *your* view of Hickory Hill doesn't coincide with mine only highlights your prejudices and preconceptions. To others moving to Memphis there is nothing wrong with Hickory Hill, and we chuckle that *you* think there is.

Ex-Pat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis