Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a new job. We currently live near Washington, DC. We have three boys ages 13, 10, 8. They play competitive ice hockey in the winter, and are on our local pool's summer swim and dive teams. These are very important considerations for us as they are NOT going to be happy if we move. We would really like them to be able to continue on with these activities, but my initial research is not too promising. Is there a youth hockey league? I found some information, but not too much. Looks like there are rinks in Olive Branch and Southaven. Are these places to consider living? We were otherwise thinking Collierville or possibly Germantown. Which high schools of these choice, if any, have ice hockey as a sport? Do the community pools have summer swim/dive leagues? This is big where we live but I can't find any information about this. My husband's job would be near the airport.

Thanks so much for any information. I'm sure I will have many more questions if we decide to move, but these issues could be deal breakers so I'm trying to figure that out now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM

16,074 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Found this, no personal knowledge though

http://www.midsouthicehouse.com/wp-c...-Schedule2.pdf
maybe email this guy and see if he can help you find contact info?
High School » Mid-South Ice House | Mid-South Ice House

Swimming shouldn't be an issue, lots of my kids friends were involved in various swim activities through school the Y , the university, etc.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
DeSoto County is a VERY Southern and country kind of place. People wear camo, and rebel flags, and go deer hunting and so forth. Some people like it, but if you're more of a city person, you will not. However, it is the only place I know of with an ice rink. Germantown and Collierville are more elite suburban towns. They will look like a bargain if you are from DC, but they are expensive for Memphis. The schools in Gtwon and Cville are amongst the best in the area. Hubby could hop on 385 and be at the airport in 20 minutes. My personal opinion is that the Jewish Community Center, which is right on the Gtown/Memphis line, has the best public pool in the area. Just like you don't have to be Christian to join the Y, you don't have to Jewish to join the JCC. I also encourage you to look at East Memphis. White Station Middle and High are great schools as long as the kids qualify for the advanced "Optional" program. The two schools are a few miles apart. The neighborhoods in between them are awesome!!!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 AM

738 posts, read 2,576,191 times
I moved here from Leesburg, VA! Be ready for better prices, a lot less traffic, friendly people, and a LOT fewer shopping and dining options. My kids go to Collierville schools, and we know some kids who play hockey, but mostly middle schoolers. I am sure there are high schoolers that play, but you have to go to DeSoto ice rink to play, and it's just not popular. Football is life here. Lax is getting more popular, and soccer is everywhere. The kids who swim for the high school use the pool at St. George's School (right on the Collierville/Germantown border). Good luck in your search!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,203 times
Thank you for the responses. Talked to the guy from the ice rink and it actually sounded very promising. I think we will focus on living in Tennessee, rather than Mississippi, even though we will have to drive a bit to get to hockey.

So glad I found this website, very useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis