Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times

Advertisements

We see posts on this board sometimes that try to insinuate that Cordova is an area in rapid decline that will fall the way of Hickory Hill post annexation into Memphis. I wanted to start this thread to bring some facts to the discussion.

The first parts of Cordova were annexed into the City of Memphis in 1990 (i.e. 23 Years ago).

7-2-90
This annexation included the area bounded by...

Macon Rd. to the north (includes areas just north of Macon as well)
Walnut Grove to the South (includes areas just south of Walnut Grove and Walnut Grove Lakes area)
Rocky Point to the east
Germantown Pkwy and the Shelby Farms area to the west

The following list the subsequent annexations in Cordova through the years

8-24-92
This included the areas bounded by...

Bazemore to the North
The Wolf River to the south
The area just west of Sanga to the west
Germantown Pkwy and the Shelby Farms area to the east

12-31-97

This included the areas just northeast of the I-40 exit with Germantown Pkwy

11-15-99

This includes a small section southwest of the I-40 exist with Germantown Pkwy

4-30-02
This included the areas bounded by...

I-40 to the north
Cordova Rd. to the south
Berryhill Rd. to the east
Appling Rd. to the west

This annexation also included that strip of Highway 64 that extends all the way out Fayette County.

12-31-02
This includes the area bounded by...

Highway 64 to the north
I-40 to the south
Germantown Pkwy to the east
Whitten Rd to the west.

12-31-06
This includes the annexation of the Berryhill neighborhood.

7-1-12
This includes the annexation of South Cordova. This is the area bounded by....

Walnut Grove to the north
The Wolf River to the south
The Grays Creek area to the east
The area just west of Mysen Dr.

As stated earlier, parts of Cordova have been in Memphis for almost a quarter century. In that time parts of the area may have changed some, but the overall rate of decline is pretty slow. Hickory Hill was annexed on 12-31-98. This area declined very quickly. By 2005 many parts of Hickory Hill (38115) were already in really bad shape. Now lets look at some other factual information from the two areas for an accurate comparison.

% of Renters

Hickory Hill (38115) = 62%
Cordova (38018) = 30%
Cordova (38016)= 38%

Median Home Value
Hickory Hill (38115) = $94,597
Cordova (38018) = $192,530
Cordova (38016)= $175,620

Median Household Income
Hickory Hill (38115) = $36,700
Cordova (38018) = $78,606
Cordova (38016)= $66,651

% of Residents with income below poverty level
Hickory Hill (38115) = 23.2%
Cordova (38018) = 7.7%
Cordova (38016)= 6.8%

Racial Makeup (2010 Census)
Hickory Hill

White = 7.9% (was probably around 50% in 2000)
Black = 78.5%
other = 13.6%

Cordova

White = 58.5%
Black = 27.5%
Other = 14%

Can we please stop comparing Cordova to Hickory Hill? The only valid comparison between the two areas is that they were both annexed into Memphis in the last 25 Years. Other than that, there is really not much else to compare. This information does not even take into account the numbers of businesses that have moved away from Hickory Hill to areas farther east and south (i.e. east of TN-385, and south to Desoto County) or the amount of vacant commercial space in 38115. Cordova is doing very well commercially with new construction and several businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,633 times
Cordova has definately declined, but I would never compare it to Hickory Hill.

I've honestly never once been concerned for my safety in Cordova, although sometimes having a traffic light every 100 yards on Germantown Parkway north of Walnut Grove is enough to make any man crazy.

Most of the annexation concerns are priced into the housing on sale now, which IMO makes it a more stable place for homebuyers than it probably was 20 years ago. I think the current concern is driven by what will happen with the schools and the crime as the housing stock ages. In that respect, the established Memphis neighborhoods (mid town, east memphis around poplar or Walnut), Collierville, Germantown, and the other incorporated burbs are safer buys.

There are still plenty of houses for sale right now in Cordova. One of the reasons I was concerned with buying there was that there were so many listings relative to other parts of the county.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
I think some people see the "creep" from North Memphis > Frayser > Raleigh eventually sliding on over into Cordova. But I also think what many people fail to factor into the equation is that Cordova is sandwiched by Bartlett, East Memphis, Germantown and, well, countryside. I think that makes it extremely more stable than Raleigh or Hickory Hill, both of which were adjacent to fairly low-income and undesirable areas.

Also, very few non-residents have any reason to be in Hickory Hill. I-40 means that people are continuously flushing through Cordova and using its Germantown Parkway amenities. Stuff like that can have a profound affect on a community's stability.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:33 PM

66 posts, read 339,891 times
My daughter and son-in -law recently bought a home off Sanga Road in Cordova. I am thrilled they chose to commit to the city of Memphis by buying a house in the city limits. I believe Cordova is a model of how areas can diversify and become stronger.
I feel as if Midtown/East Memphis/ Cordova are paving the way to a new Memphis of brother and sisterhood Dr. King could be proud of. Cordova is a beautiful and proud community that can show other urban neighborhoods across the country that Americans of all backgrounds can get along.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:19 PM

123 posts, read 200,856 times
cordova should be incorporated into its own town

Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
No longer possible

Cordova is now and forever a part of Memphis. The only way the area could break away is if Memphis wanted to deannnex the area for some reason. That would be highly unlikely.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

112 posts, read 183,627 times
Perception is the big reason why comparisons are made.

Hickory Hill was a victim of intentional "blockbusting" ..in fact the feds investigated the events in Memphis...several banks were investigated...some banks such as NBC were known, documented "red-liners" in terms of lending practices.

HH's exodus was aided and abetted by firms such as Crye Leike and others...creating hysteria about "price erosion" with the advent of BLACK moving into HH in vast numbers...so developers got a green light to start clearing and developing like wildfire...banks flooded the market with construction capital, easy residential underwriting standards for WHITE families who wanted to get out of HH - these buyers were manipulated by real estate agents, banks and the media...the business community went right along with the scare as well......promises of a NEW MALL and strip malls - subsidies etc...

Today, there is no where for the people to RUN en masse to a "new", large underdeveloped area, notwithstanding the plans now afoot past the new perimeter....with no where to "go" or "flee", the same white population is stuck....in a down market, a stagnant market where they can't sell their homes of 10 15 years old (to "new blacks" fleeing Whitehaven....lol.....that move has been played out )....now you have many many blacks that now choose to live in Cordova as well....and in stead of HH ...lol......so the closet racists in the construction, banking and real estate business don't have any more chumps and scaredy-cats to manipulate....no more "boogieman", no where to run, or escape...

These people deserve each other...really they do.

The comparison of Cordova and HH doesn't "work" in every metric - that is inarguable ..but the hatred and the fear is still prevalent, not only in Cordova, but throughout Memphis' socio-cultural and business fabric....that has NOT changed.

If the "good folks" who ran from HH back in the 80s, could "run again", believe me, they would be out of there in a NY second....

You couldn't get me to live in Cordova, north of WG...hell no...why? it's mostly because of poor planning, design, access, and awful "feel" the place has come to exhibit - North Gtown Pkwy is one of the worst designs possible..in fact it's stupid.

It's easy to interpret the data on what Cordova is going to look like in another 5 years or so...and it's not flattering at all...it's somewhere NOT to purchase anything, given more stable options, and more responsible options IMHO.

If you can't see the "creep", infecting Cordova, you are one blind monkey..who hears nothing and says nothing as well......have a another banana for godsake.
'

Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,052,751 times
I actually agree with most of your post. Too bad for the areas though.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

112 posts, read 183,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
I actually agree with most of your post. Too bad for the areas though.

Well, I was there in the middle of the fear mongering, and many of the posters here, don't have a clue if they are a twenty-something or a thirty-something.

Banks were involved in patently illegal, and at times vile behavior...incestuous greed...discrimination, outright racism...

A few "new builders" and developers would not even SHOW a NEW HOUSE to any Black couple ! I personally knew a top notch black finance guy who got transferred to Memphis by his NJ company, and he told me horror stories of how he was "steered" and even ignored by several known realestate "whores" some of whom are still selling houses in Memphis today !...the biggest offender was Crye Leike....in second place was a couple of branches of Century 21.

Many known builders were also engaged in such discriminatory behavior....Only one I do know that did not do it was Hyneman...he was too busy just making money and moving on.

Several "custom home builders" would not even talk to blacks about building in Cordova....really, it was awful....and the vestiges of this crap are still around today in 2013.

They used slimy code language when talking to white prospects...such as "this is a 100% Republican neighborhood.....there are no Democrats in this area " (Democrats meant BLACKS).

Oh, I could embarrass TONS of real estate and banking and building executives....and several COUNTY officials that are still around. They sucked then, they suck now...their sentiments have not changed, believe me...leopards don't change their spots...not ever in Memphis TN...they just retreat into their shared den of quiet, slick racism.......you should have been a fly on the wall at gatherings of the Memphis Home Builders Association when they held parties, etc over on N Gtown Pkwy. I even recorded a few conversations with my old RS voice activated micro cassette...for future reference, documentation and publication, when a few of these creeps say something stupid in the future....if you listened to some of this crap yourself, you would also conclude that Memphis isn't going anywhere "great" in the next 25 years....if then. I play them back for a few people now and then, and most listeners...even Memphis native shakers and movers can't believe their own ears.

Nope, Cordova is NOT HH, not by a long shot......it's worse, just in a very different way and methodology/reality..

You think it's changed ?? I don't...I'm not that blind, or misinformed. It's unfortunate, but I rely on what I "know", not what I "hope for". Memphis is losing ground to other cities, not gaining...hell..it's
losing ground EVERY YEAR to another TN city, named Nashville.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:58 AM

428 posts, read 848,753 times
Default Statistics are off and Hickory Hill not bad

First off Hickory Hill consists of two zip codes 38115 and 38141 just like Cordova. Secondly tigertates stats are off. Also I do not know why you put the racial demographic information up as if that makes some difference in the neighborhood's quality. I find that low key racist. Also it is funny because Blacks will be the majority in Cordova in the next ten years as well as Desoto county in about 15 years. Face the facts Blacks and Hispanics have more babies while Whites continue to have 1 child and 2 dogs and keep moving further and further out to get away from Black and Brown people. The following statistics are taken from the U.S. census bureau census 2010. American FactFinder - Community Facts
American FactFinder - Community Facts
American FactFinder - Community Facts

Cordova Zip Code 38106

Non-Hispanic White= 56.6%
African American= 32.7%
Asian= 5.6%
Hispanic= 5%

Cordova Zip Code 38108

Non-Hispanic White= 60%
African American= 27.5%
Asian= 6%
Hispanic= 6%

Both Hickory Hill Zip Codes are:

African American= 80%
Hispanic= 10/11%
Non-Hispanic White= 8%
Asian= 1%

Percentage renters

Cordova (38106)= 63.8% owner occupied and 36.2% renter occupied
Hickory Hill (38141)= 73.3% owner occupied and 26.7% renter occupied
Cordova (38108)= 73.3% owner occupied and 26.7% renter occupied

As shown when factoring Hickory Hill zip code 38141 the number of renters is smaller than Cordova 38106 and equal to 38108. Your facts were off. Please only use the Census Bureau Census 2010 when pulling statistics because it is the only reliable scholary source.

Median houing value

Hickory Hill 38141= $101,800
Cordova 38106= $169,000
Cordova 38108= $164,900

Cordova's median and mean incomes are higher than Hickory Hill but the values you used are inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis