Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,272 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Milwaukee, WI and I am planning on moving down south. I feel it's a better environment to raise my daughter, plus I'm soooo sick of this cold weather. After doing a lot of research, Bartlett, TN continues to be the best choice. School are fantastic, weather is great, low crime rate, and employment seems to be steady. All the hard numbers look great, but I need an honest interpretation on the lifestyle of Bartlett.

I have some short comings that I understand might not be compatible with some residents. I am a young mother, no college education, not married, come from the city so, I might seem a little rough around the edges to some. I am also African-American. I know some may think that's not an issue. But let's be real here. Even in West Allis, a suburb of Milwaukee, it was an issue. When I first moved there we'd go to parks and within minutes it would be completely cleared out, people wouldn't return our hello's, made every attempt to avoid us. Kids in her school wouldn't play with her after they found out she wasn't Mexican (she's mixed).

I'm not trying to make this a big deal. I understand these things happen pretty much where ever you go. But I don't want it to be so big of an issue that we can not peacefully live there. Where my child would be completely excluded and made to feel like she is less than. I'm just trying to start over new and be a regular family just like everyone else.

If I could could have your complete honest opinions that would be very helpful.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 AM

123 posts, read 200,806 times
Bartlett is a suburb of Memphis metro, many African Americans in the metro, so no worries.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Bartlett is also a fairly large area so you may want to try to pinpoint specific areas or neighborhoods to find a good fit. My inlaws moved across to the east side of Bartlett a few years ago because crime was spilling over into their old neighborhood from the Raleigh area.

Last edited by JMT; 02-25-2015 at 02:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2015, 02:35 PM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
The race thing will be a non-issue here, from what you are expecting. Memphis is a predominantly black city.

I wouldn't pick Bartlett over the other suburbs though, but that's my preference. Bartlett is a little more 'rough around the edges' than say Germantown or Collierville As previous poster said, the western part of Bartlett has more crime. The Wolfchase area is full of strip malls, which I personally hate. But they did start their own school system this year, to get away from Memphis/Shelby Co, so they have that going for them (as do all the suburbs, which all split off).

If you are a single mom with no college education, I would really think hard about packing up and moving somewhere you've never been. It's hard to find decent jobs here, like anywhere. The city is very poor overall, and the good jobs get snapped up. I would focus on finding jobs, applying, interviewing, and seeing what you are offered before you move.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 6,272 times
Thank you very much. I of course will be doing all of these things. I'm still trying to pinpoint a specific area so I can get a jist of how much I need to save, rent, daycare, all those expenses. Seeing what kind of jobs are available and taking trips to get a good feel for the city. I'm still in early stages, so I don't want to waist my time on one particular place. Now I've seen the suburbs might be a better fit. Could you possibly give me a list of those names? Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,100 times
I traveled to Memphis this week and stayed in Bartlett near the Wolfchase Galleria. I really liked the area. It kind of reminded me of the suburban feeling that Murfreesboro has in my opinion.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:38 AM

737 posts, read 1,915,892 times
Suburbs in TN: Bartlett, Lakeland, Arlington, Collierville, Germantown. G-town and C-ville are the nicest, IMO. G-town is "old money" and overall a nice, older, wealthier community. C-ville is technically old but it's the "in" place for new build construction and wealthier people to move. The Lakeland and Arlington areas are okay but there's not much going on out there, although Lakeland is getting a Sprouts grocery store soon, which I think will help. Keep in mind, all of these ares butt-up against each other, so it's not like you're super spread out.

Suburbs in MS: Olive Branch, Southaven, Horn Lake. Many people live there, howeve for a new person, I'd recommend against it at first. I'm not a fan of the areas, plus the whole income tax issue you'd encounter.

Suburbs in AR: West Memphis, Marion. IMO, not good towns. I wouldn't waste my time looking there.

Since you have a child, you need to pay close attention to the schools. Memphis City and Shelby Co systems merged this year. The suburbs all broke apart and made their own districts to get away (Memphis/Shelby is one of the worst school systems in the country). You need to make SURE where ever you live, you are zoned for a good school. The suburbs will be okay, but make CERTAIN that where you rent or buy it's actually in a suburb and zoned for the appropriate schools. Many times you'll see a place listed as "Germantown" or "Bartlett" when it's actually not.

Don't get me wrong, there are many, many great neighborhoods in Memphis proper. All sort of people from poor to millionaires. The problem is that for outsiders it's hard to come in and make an educated decision on things like where to live and schools. It takes some time to learn about that stuff and get a correct impression of things.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM

43 posts, read 166,627 times
It doesn't really matter the Memphis metro is in the heart of West Tennessee, North Mississippi, East Arkansas that is all you have to say.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,567 times
Sorry if too personal, but a budget would be helpful for advice. Bartlett is fine as far as schools and safety, but it's neither fun nor prestegious.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 12,572 times
Have a job lined up before moving, that way you can plan you expenses accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis