Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM

29 posts, read 46,488 times

Advertisements

We've been living here for a couple of years now and sadly have not yet found any good Mexican restaurants. When we moved here we were told about Casa, La Hacienda, and several others. We've eaten at them, and they are not horrible, but to me those are basically the Mexican restaurants found in every small town across the country. The dishes all look and pretty much taste exactly the same. Now I must confess we did move here from Texas, so the bar was set pretty high for Mexican food. Not that I expect to find it as good as it is in Texas, but are there any really good places to go here? Or is Casa, etc, about as good as I can expect to find? I know there are tons of good places to eat and we've found a lot, just not Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM

120 posts, read 269,884 times
El Gallo Giro on Lamar just north of Winchester is a pretty good, hole in the wall, kinda place. They have this green sauce that's to die for. My coworkers and I go there at least once a week and it's always filled with Mexicans (I take that as a good sign). That's a rough area so don't think you're going to go there on a date. It's just really good food.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
Anything along Summer Ave. La Guadalapena is well known to be very good. I agree with El Gallo Giro too.

This blog mentions a couple along Summer, look in the comments for more suggestions:
Summer Avenue Time, and the Eatin' Is Easy - I Love Memphis

Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Summer Avenue is an interesting place. Very Blue Collar. Very International. Down on its luck, but full of authenticity. In a more popular city, it would be absolutely overrun with hipsters, but that's not really an issue here. Lots of little places to discover. Definately less threatening east of Highland. Memphis would do well to pitch the area as our "Bargain District" much as New York did with the Lower East Side. So much potential going unfulfilled!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:41 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
I think the question here is whether you are looking for Tex-Mex, which is basically what La Hacienda and a lot of other "Mexican" restaurants in town serve or are you wanting a little more authentic Mexican food? The more authentic places are going to be in poorer parts of town where there is a larger Hispanic population (Summer Avenue, Jackson Avenue, Macon Road, Lamar Avenue, Winchester Road). My assumption is that the places that the previous posters mentioned are probably a little more authentic, just going by where they are located.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:13 PM

191 posts, read 303,728 times
Thanks for the names of those restaurants. Agree that Summer is an interesting street, and less threatening as you go east. As mediocre as the Mexican food can be, the Chinese restaurants we've tried are really bad. Have we missed a really good place somewhere in town?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:22 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
For Chinese, I like Mosa Asian Bistro. They're at the corner of White Station and Poplar, next to Bed Bath and Beyond.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:26 PM

120 posts, read 269,884 times
There's a surprisingly good place on Kirby just south of Knight Arnold called Tycoon...I can't explain why it's so good. It just is. I've sampled Chinese all over the country, and a few places out of the country and this is my favorite place to go in Memphis for Chinese/Asian. They have Vietnamese and Malaysian dishes as well. Again, it's a rough neighborhood but safe enough not to have to worry. Mosa is very good too. There's another place in Germantown called Noodles (Google it). It's just like Mosa. These last two places are themselves are a lot like PF Chang's but not so over-priced. They are a bit pricey though.

The place on Kirby is like a Chinese restaurant in China. Not fancy. The owners, husband and wife, are constantly bickering with each other in flurries of Mandarin (I think). While they are arguing, the 10 year old daughter and her 8 year old sister run the register, and they are NOT to be f&!#ed with! Meanwhile, their teenage brother sits in the back playing on his computer. It's an interesting place. It has character and I like that.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
Shang Hai on Poplar for Chinese. None of the employees seem to speak English, which is usually a good sign

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM

171 posts, read 355,916 times
Why has no one mentioned Las Delicias yet? SO TASTY! Everything I've eaten there is delicious. It is not like your typical Americanized Mexican place - they don't serve everything drowning in a sea of cheese. They make their chips in house. Also Elena's Taco Shop in Bartlett is pretty good.

If you want some place so authentic that you practically need to speak Spanish to go there, try Tacos Borolas. I don't know what the exact neighborhood is called, but it's just south of 240 btwn Perkins and Knight Arnold. They serve things like tongue tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis