Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating due to work in Memphis. I'm looking for temporary housing until I can do a complete family move in a few months. My office is located in the Southwind area near FedEx Corp. But I've been eyeing a complex in downtown Memphis next to the ballpark. Being alone and new, I like the idea of being close to everything the city has to offer. Or should I look closer to my office? My concern is the commute from downtown to Southwind area. Google says 21 miles, less than 30 minutes. Coming from DC, that's a walk in the park. But not being able to experience it first hand before moving makes it worrisome. Good thing is I would be going opposite traffic - but am I insane to live in downtown and work in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:24 PM

247 posts, read 336,673 times
You'll laugh at what many in Memphis consider "Traffic". I actually found the drives to work relaxing, and significant slowdown only occurs when there's a bad wreck. I might add a couple of minutes onto that commute to account for getting onto the interstate with the morning rush, but the interstate traffic is a beautiful thing. You'll have a lot more fun living downtown than living in the suburbs simply to have a shorter commute.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:10 PM

139 posts, read 311,247 times
I visit friends in the DC area frequently. Whereas a 30 minute drive there is considered around the corner, and with that traffic sometimes it may very well be. A 30 minute drive in Memphis may as well be on the other side of the world, at least for me. Downtown to Southwind is a straight shot with one or two slowdowns both ways during rush hour but nothing remotely close to the DC area. So yes, compared to what you are used to in DC it will be a walk in the park.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:23 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
It would be an easy commute, although you say your family will be joining you soon - would you want to live downtown with them? If not, it might be a good idea to do your temporary housing in the same area of town you think you might live in with them, to get a feel of it. It could be difficult to live downtown alone for a few months and understand how your life will change when your family comes and you move out to Collierville (for example).

Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Collierville is the area I was told to look at for when my family joins me in six months. I heard good things and good schools. For now, since I'll be alone for most of the time, I was thinking a studio in the city would fit the bill. Being close to some action and around other tenants in the complex may make my bored time away from family more bearable. Or take a place in a typical complex close to work. I was concerned about the commute from the city to Southwind, which some have indicated as fairly easy. Right now I'm in the DC area...45 mile commute takes me an hour leaving at 5:15am. If I waited to leave my house, say around 7am, it would add another 30-60 minutes. It's hard to make a decision site unseen.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:25 AM

Definitely don't decide sight unseen - come visit first. Although, maybe you could find a place willing to rent you month-to-month, so if you decide living downtown isn't your thing, you could move.

As an aside, I'm not sure how many older adults with children live downtown...not sure how out of place you might feel. There are not any school options for downtown residents, so there are little to no families downtown. I know you'll be alone for a while, but just a warning that you may feel out of place with the younger childless crowd. Or, that may be something to look forward to for a few months, just depends

Old 11-14-2016, 04:31 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Not insane. Just depends on your preferences in a neighborhood and commuting. South leg 240 isn't very visually appealing, but it shouldn't take more than 30 min. FWIW, there is a public Downtown Elementary (probably not a school of choice) and a private Montessori school on Mud Island, which has a good reputation. If budget allows, Germantown is probably safest option, though not nearly as exciting. Top schools. 5 minute commute to Southwind. Lots of shopping. Safer than Mayberry.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:26 PM

191 posts, read 303,824 times
There are actually a number of families with children in the South Bluffs area Downtown. They go to a variety of schools: ICCS, CB, GSL, St. Mary's and others. Having lived in DC, I can attest that the traffic here is negligible by comparison. Downtown to Southwind would not be a problem. Look at the South Main area, which has ready access to the highway.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:26 AM

Yes, the island and Bluffs are different. I was thinking of the downtown core, the OP mentioned the apartments at the ballpark. I've never seen families there.

Either way, the commute will be okay - long and backwards in terms of what our city is (most people live east and drive inwards) but will likely be shorter than what you are used to.

Last edited by CristenS; 11-15-2016 at 08:11 AM..

Old 01-02-2017, 02:26 PM

As the originator of this thread, here's an update. I've been in Memphis for a month now. The apartment I chose unseen turned out to be great. Nice area and quiet neighbors. But only after a month, I cannot wait to get out of here. Coming from Northern Virginia, this is definitely not an area I would want to raise my family. There's more bad than good. Security must be a billion dollar business around here. 24/7 security patrol at my office, apartment complex and shopping centers! Police cars parked on sidewalks at major department stores? Everyone says if you want good schools and good people, go to Collierville. I do not disagree with that. But out of this entire city, why does everyone say 1 place? People that grew up here, this is all they know and of course it's good to them. However, being that I lived in several cities over the past twenty years, I can't believe I ended up here. Hopefully I'll be back in DC sooner rather than later. This city needs a responsible government to make changes and improve everyone's quality of life. I now can see why Memphis is #4 on the list of most dangerous cities in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis