Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,436 times

Advertisements

To whom it may concern:
Looking for opinions, everyone has them.
Moving from Bay Area California to Germantown Area.

If you don't go to church, how shunned will you and your kids be in those suburbs?
How is the culture, openness to interracial couples?
How are the schools?
How is housing?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:02 PM

191 posts, read 304,769 times
Germantown schools are the best in Tennessee. Housing choices are ample and good. Most people go to church or another house of worship. It’s not required, but it’s a primary way to meet people and make social contacts. Interracial couples are probably more common in Midtown, but doubt it’s a big issue.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 PM

63 posts, read 197,428 times
Well ,I moved with my wife to Memphis in 2009 and moved back to California last year. We had two school age children and lived in Collierville. Schools in my opinion were better in Collierville. We didn't go to any church and I don't think anybody cared. We are also an interracial couple and nobody really cared, that I could tell. I found Collierville far enough way and the houses are very nice, we lived in the area off Byhalia, south of 385. I really enjoyed living in TN for different reasons and I'm sure you will too....

Old 10-13-2019, 08:24 AM

56 posts, read 84,031 times
Interracial couples should not be a problem in Memphis/Germantown.Houses are a lot more expensive in Germantown.

Personally I would not want to live in Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett....
Make sure you visit first before making decisions.

East Memphis has very reasonable housing prices but people put their kids in expensive private schools as far as I know.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:51 AM

472 posts, read 349,263 times
Grew up in C'Ville, born in SFV- my parents are from Culver City and Encino. My mother is sephardic jewish, father is plain white dude. No problems. We did not go to church nor synagogue. Nobody cared, some people asked where we went to church but that was really it. You can meet people easiest though I think in house of worship. Collierville and Germantown are both super nice. Best of luck!

Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,963,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRav4 View Post
To whom it may concern:
Looking for opinions, everyone has them.
Moving from Bay Area California to Germantown Area.

If you don't go to church, how shunned will you and your kids be in those suburbs?

No issues there. Myself and several friends don't go to church, although I grew up in the church. You'll occasionally say something positive, and others will say something like, "God really blessed situation/person" or something similar. I just ignore it. This kind of thing doesn't happen a lot, but you'll notice it if you pay attention. I started noticing because I had an athiest coworker that would complain about it to me, and I started noticing it in conversation.

How is the culture, openness to interracial couples?

No issues there. Memphis news and interest groups are obsessed with the past and race, but it rarely comes up in everyday conversation. I work in a very mixed building, and everyone gets along. I've known a few interracial couples, and I have friends with adopted black children in a nice suburb. Everyone loves them.

How are the schools?

Germantown schools are great. Germantown Elem, Middle, and High are not part of Germantown School Disctrict. They are owned by the unified, county-wide school district. They're fine too, but if you're a Germantown resident, you might as well go to the locally-owned schools.

How is housing?

Housing in Germantown is in demand, and you might have to buy an older house and fix it up if you want to get in a certain school zone. If you have a budget of about $400k+, you shouldn't have any issues finding a house wherever. Below that, and some areas start to become off-limits. Houses sell quickly in Germantown, especially right before the school year starts.

Thanks
Answers above.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:05 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,963,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippimarkus View Post
Interracial couples should not be a problem in Memphis/Germantown.Houses are a lot more expensive in Germantown.

Personally I would not want to live in Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett....
Make sure you visit first before making decisions.

East Memphis has very reasonable housing prices but people put their kids in expensive private schools as far as I know.
The great thing about living in Germantown is that you can get anywhere in the county pretty quickly. There are a lot of ways to go any direction. The bad thing about living in Germantown and Collierville is the 8-5 commute downtown. I refuse to take a job downtown because I don't want to be a part of that headache. I look for jobs around East Memphis, North, East of me, etc. I've been driving opposite of the rush hour crowd for 15 years now, and it's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDnMe View Post
Well ,I moved with my wife to Memphis in 2009 and moved back to California last year. We had two school age children and lived in Collierville. Schools in my opinion were better in Collierville. We didn't go to any church and I don't think anybody cared. We are also an interracial couple and nobody really cared, that I could tell. I found Collierville far enough way and the houses are very nice, we lived in the area off Byhalia, south of 385. I really enjoyed living in TN for different reasons and I'm sure you will too....
I'm curious why you went back to CA? For work? I hear people are flocking out of CA and NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis