Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,909 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am looking for a nice small town that may be in need of a good barber,or barber shop. (Possibly a barber that may want to retire.)
I have been a shop owner/barber for 41 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 AM

165 posts, read 600,959 times
If you are interested in living among the people of the Norman Rockwell demographic....

Hernando, Mississippi comes to mind perhaps. Small town atmosphere, but only about 10 miles or so into Horn Lake, and 20 minutes to Memphis or the gambling joints in Tunica County (if that's your scene.) Hernando has decent shopping, good restauants, and is safe in my opinion with a good police force. Close to Memphis, especially the airport, but far away from the troubles of that big city.

I also think northeast Mississippi is a decent place, up around Tupelo and that direction. Maybe Oxford, Mississippi might suit your tastes if you want to live in a University town. I would not live in the Delta.

Arkansas has some nice towns in the Northwest section, from Batesville eastward. When I was a kid we went to Heber Springs, Ark., which was a really nice, nice little town, at least back in the 1970's-80's. I don't think the place has terribly changed that much. Mountain Home is supposedly a great town for retirees, a friend from school's parents (who are originally from California) bought a home there. My grandmother from Iowa also stayed there for a while.

Millington, north of Memphis might be a good place if you are a barber because of the military presence there, however, I think Millington is ugly. A lot of people have moved into Tipton County Tennessee, but I don't know much about Tipton County to judge the place. A town around Reelfoot Lake might be to your liking.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:43 AM

87 posts, read 342,549 times
Oh, please don't say that Millington is ugly. I will be moving there in May.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM

196 posts, read 692,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellist View Post
Oh, please don't say that Millington is ugly. I will be moving there in May.
Where in Millington?

Millington is not ugly.
However, many people see a very small part of Millington, like the old strip near the base and a few lower end areas and are totally unaware of the various areas that are part of Millington.
There are some great areas and lovely homes in Millington.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 PM

35 posts, read 130,682 times
The main drag of Millington is pretty ugly, but once you get off that, it's quite undeveloped and very pretty to drive through. I have some friends who recently relocated out there so they could have a hobby farm and their property is gorgeous.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,439 times
Munford in Tipton County is a wonderful small town. I've lived here for 11 years and would not dream of living anywhere else.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
try paris/paris landing area. that area is pretty, quite, and offers much in the way of water sports, fishing, and hunting. paris landing has a well established lake community. marina crowd is a bit highbrow, but you could fit in w/ proper intoductions. too, i have just noticed the above post re: munford. it is true about this community. i have heard nothing but good things about it. one thing you need to remember about this area, this is directly in the memphis outmigration pattern. all projection analyses forecast significant +positive gains in population for the immediate area. this has, in fact, already begun. it will be spurred w/ the completion of the outter urban (memphis) beltway, and the connection od the north-south corridor. those purchasing homes in this area---along w/ areas: atoka, ellendale, lakeland, arlington, and other small communities in this area, need to be aware of current state projections on population, economic impact, land values, home property values, etc. careful planning could lead to large windfalls in some of these areas; however, i would just be careful where i stationed myself in the next two years. good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis