Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,162,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
VP, I'm afraid the only way I could quit is the "easy" way.

Just yesterday I was reading about the patch and a few sites said it only had a 13% success rate, but that quitting on your own was a bit over a 10% success rate. But I'm sure they can manipulate things on the internet.

This morning we were at the nursing home and I was so surprised to see an old gent out there in his wheelchair just puffing away. You rarely see that anymore, but there was a lady that I knew when I grew up who had smoked her entire life. When she went into the nursing home, she had them help her outside after a meal so she could have a puff. I guess cigs affect everyone differently because this lady was 106 years old when she passed on. It even hit the national news.

Wow!!!

You know a few years ago, A LOT of years actually, I was "dating" a doctor who was a Infectious Diseases Fellow where I was working. One day he decided he was going to scare me and took me to see the patients that had tracheotomies. Wouldn't you know, there were actually a couple of them puffing through that tube!

This must have been about 25 years ago (when you could still smoke, even in the hospitals).

Needless to say, our relationship didn't last very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
true; now may be the time to try new activities. Hubby and I just began bicycle riding and find it fun and stimulating. I can hardly wait until it's time for our ride each day. I also recently began walking and try to bowl twice a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Well, I think you guys need to find something to "replace" smoking. Exercise is a great alternative. It'll get you guys into shape, shed a few pounds and hopefully it'll keep your mind off a cigarette for a few hours! I don't smoke so I can only imagine how hard this must be for you guys but I just wanted to give you an alternative. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
It's hard for me to understand how somebody can be so addicted to a substance. My husband has been planning this cessation for several weeks now - we both recently stopped working, taking it easy for a while, no stressors, warm summer days ahead...it's a good time to really focus on quitting smoking for good. He told me he wanted three days to do absolutely nothing but stay home and have quiet time - read, watch movies, etc. He bought 12 bottles of anti-oxidant juice and told me to not let him out of the house. No smoking, no drinking beer, no going anywhere there are temptations. I agreed to all of this - it's like a detox.

So, he started this detox today. Right away he wanted to walk over to the coffeeshop where all the douchebags hang out drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes - I said no. He whined, then grabbed a beer from the refrigerator - I asked him to put it away and he started raging and poured it down the sink. Hours passed and he was pacing around, throwing boxes (we're moving soon), and hurling rude comments toward me. Finally I exploded right back at him and told him to go lie down in bed and shut up until further notice.

Now he's been sleeping for several hours and it's NICE. However, he will eventually wake up and I'm sure the sh*t will start again.

Can anyone offer advice on how to deal with a seriously addicted cigarette smoker who is trying to quit? He's been talking about quitting for years now, but never takes steps to follow through and really quit. He's tried the patch, the gum, rationing...but I'm a strong believer in just quitting cold turkey. I can't stand it anymore - it's come to the point where I just don't want to be around a smoker.

"It's me or the cancer stick...which do you prefer?"
I can only imagine how hard that has to be for both of you. My husband and I are smokers and we are really sick of it and ready to quit! Nothing has worked for us so, next on the list is to lock our selves in the house and quit clod turkey.. Imagine 2 of your husband how he is right now in the same house together trying to quit! lol! Its not going to be fun! I know that it is really hard to understand how someone can really get hooked on something, but some people are pretty much just born addicts. It sounds dumb.. I know, but it's true. Some people never have any problems being addicted to anything and they never will, but some people will have addictions their whole lives. If you are an addictive personality you can end up one of two ways.. you can focus on negative addictions like drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.. Or you can focus on something positive like work, family, etc. Either way they will always be an addictive personality. Your husband will most likely have to get through the detox and then once he has completely quit he will need to focus on or get "addicted" to something positive like work and family. I have no idea why some people are like this, but they are. It really is hard to quit something once you are addicted to it though. Like with smokers, they aren't only addicted to the nicotine, they are mentally addicted to having that cigarette in their hand and the feeling of smoking it. Certain things will trigger cravings for your husband even after hes done with the detox part of it. Like if he smoked while on the computer, watching tv or on the phone whenever he is on the computer, watching tv or on the phone he will feel like he needs that ciggaret... even if hes not physically addicted to the nicotine anymore. Like I said before, I know that it is hard for you to understand and I know that dealing with your husband right now is beyond hard, but you just have to try to realize that this is so much harder on your husband right now. Just try to be understanding and supportive and most of all keep him in check! lol! Do not let him smoke at all!! Just stand your ground and let him know that it's your way or the highway! lol! He is trying and it is soooo hard! It will most likely get worse before it gets better.. He is going to get physically sick, emotional and mean, but its just for a little while until he is done detoxing. I wish you both the best of luck and congrats on getting him to quit smoking!

Oh, and thank your lucky stars its cigarettes and not pain pills! wow! I had a kidney surgery a few years back and my dumb a** got hook on the pain pills.. I worked my way up to OxyContins (people call them OxyCottin)and then finally got help! Opiates are the most addictive thing around and going through detox from that is hell on earth! I mean there aren't even words to describe how that is.. I really just wanted to die so I wouldn't have to go through the detox. That was the biggest mistake I have ever made and I regret that so much! It took years for the body pains and cravings to go away.. I still have depression problems to this day from those God awful things! Getting off of something once you are addicted is so hard and I have to give props to anyone that does quit whatever it is that they are addicted to. Like I said, just be there for him and keep him in line!! Again, good luck!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 06-27-2007 at 11:36 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
VP, I don't think he'd have been my kind of date either.

I came here hoping for an update, but noticed that there isn't one yet.

PitBull, you're so right about the addictive personality thing. But even if I quit the cigs, I still have other addictions like......CANDY!!!!! You said you'd tried everything to quit, have you ever tried the cold laser therapy? I'm really considering it since it worked so well for sis in law.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Try reducing the amount over a week or two. Going cold turkey is very difficult. Remember, cigarettes are one of the most addicting substances around. He can also try hypnosis, which is something that I do as therapist. A few sessions can at the very least reduce the amount, if not get rid of all the smoking. It's not usually as simple as "do something else" instead of smoking.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:01 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Post I can relate-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
I have never heard of the cold laser therapy - what's that about?

I do agree with changing the daily habits (eg: skip the morning coffee/cig routine...do something different...and don't go to the usual hangouts where there are smokers). Fortunately, we are moving to a state that just passed the smoking ban - that's one law I truly support and favor.

Husband is STILL sleeping, all day now. That's fine, at least I don't have to deal with him and the poisons are slowly leaving his system.
He has to start somewhere. My husband never smoked- it was alcohol addiction (I hated smoking- my Dad always smoked) but your original post when you were relieved he was asleep- lol- I have been there.

I don't know if this will help your situation but alot of these people have obsessive personalities- so get addicted to something to 'calm down'. For example my husband could never sit for an hour without doing something; it was like a nervousness. It can be very hard (and annoying) to the spouse!.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
VP, I don't think he'd have been my kind of date either.

I came here hoping for an update, but noticed that there isn't one yet.

PitBull, you're so right about the addictive personality thing. But even if I quit the cigs, I still have other addictions like......CANDY!!!!! You said you'd tried everything to quit, have you ever tried the cold laser therapy? I'm really considering it since it worked so well for sis in law.
No I haven't tried cold laser therapy. I haven't even heard of it! lol! That sounds like something I should do some research on! Oh and I have a serious addiction to coffee and chocolate!

Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,936 times
I quit cold turkey almost 10 ten years ago after a 20 yr 2 pack a day habit. It's not easy but only the first few days are nuts...after that it just slowly fades away till you no longer think about it. Of course you already know it'll be the BEST thing you've ever done for yourself.

Re hubby...rewards are always a better training method than punishment. Make him an offer he won't refuse...

After a light dinner ,shower, shut the tv off, share a glass of wine and let him think it's his idea to coax you into the bedroom....you can fill in the blanks from there. Make it a notable session.

Afterwards (before he falls asleep!) make sure he understands there's a lot more of that available if he behaves himself and sticks to the plan !!

Good luck and have fun quitting...

Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Have had results with the new drug Chantix and I guess I'm lucky that my insurance covers it as it's expensive

Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,858 times
the medication you guys are talking about is called chantix. It is supposed to be very good, recommended by heart doctors. I just got my scrip for them and am setting my quit date. My dh will also quit, with me so very soon we should be a smoke free household. Yippie. Beware, check with insurance company, these pills are expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health