Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times

Advertisements

I spent 13 years dealing with this. I cared for both my elderly parents.

My father was in excellent physical condition and was still running 5K's when the only way he could find his way back was to follow the other runners. So when he started hitting my mom, I had to put him in a nursing home for the last 6 weeks of his life. Sad, but by that point he had no idea who or where he was. They had to medicate him a lot and he was a zombie. But the hallucinations or whatever was going on in his head to make him act out had to be a nightmare too.

Haldol was effective for my father. It seemed to make him much more peaceful as well as quiet. I didn't worry about long term effects at all. I knew he was in the last stage of dementia and there was no hope for him at all. The only thing I wanted for him was a peaceful death. My father was long gone.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:07 PM

86 posts, read 428,686 times
If your mom has dementia should be on Aricept and Namenda (used for dementia and/or Alzheimers patients). Seroquel is an antipsychotic that if used in elderly with dementia when they have aggressive episodes. But there is a black box warning for seroquel being used for dementia-related psychosis because there is actually an increased risk of mortality (sorry I dont want to scare you off or anything).

Someone above stated to use Benadry, but DONT USE IT, it may actually worsen her psychosis. Yes it is sedating for kids and adults but it is frowned upon when used with the elderly. And benadryl will block the effects of her dementia drugs such as Aricept, Exelon, Namenda.

Go talk to the neurologists about your concerns. Or go talk to a pharmacist.. thats what you are paying them for right?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeerioS View Post
If your mom has dementia should be on Aricept and Namenda (used for dementia and/or Alzheimers patients). Seroquel is an antipsychotic that if used in elderly with dementia when they have aggressive episodes. But there is a black box warning for seroquel being used for dementia-related psychosis because there is actually an increased risk of mortality (sorry I dont want to scare you off or anything).

Someone above stated to use Benadry, but DONT USE IT, it may actually worsen her psychosis. Yes it is sedating for kids and adults but it is frowned upon when used with the elderly. And benadryl will block the effects of her dementia drugs such as Aricept, Exelon, Namenda.

Go talk to the neurologists about your concerns. Or go talk to a pharmacist.. thats what you are paying them for right?
The original post mentioned that Aricept, Namenda, and Exelon have all been tried and were not useful for this patient. These drugs may slow the progression of dementia, but they do not really reverse it. OP is coping with the problem as best she can, but the real issue is the rage episodes, which are dangerous for the patient and others around her. Unfortunately, the patient has really declined over the last two years.

Health Alzheimers Dementia Articles Elder Rage

Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The original post mentioned that Aricept, Namenda, and Exelon have all been tried and were not useful for this patient. These drugs may slow the progression of dementia, but they do not really reverse it. OP is coping with the problem as best she can, but the real issue is the rage episodes, which are dangerous for the patient and others around her. Unfortunately, the patient has really declined over the last two years.

Health Alzheimers Dementia Articles Elder Rage
yup, exactly -thanks
btw to answer your previous question- No my sisters do not contribute at all. - I am the youngest to boot- go figure

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I spent 13 years dealing with this. I cared for both my elderly parents.

My father was in excellent physical condition and was still running 5K's when the only way he could find his way back was to follow the other runners. So when he started hitting my mom, I had to put him in a nursing home for the last 6 weeks of his life. Sad, but by that point he had no idea who or where he was. They had to medicate him a lot and he was a zombie. But the hallucinations or whatever was going on in his head to make him act out had to be a nightmare too.

Haldol was effective for my father. It seemed to make him much more peaceful as well as quiet. I didn't worry about long term effects at all. I knew he was in the last stage of dementia and there was no hope for him at all. The only thing I wanted for him was a peaceful death. My father was long gone.

Best of luck to you.
ty- I had mom try the haldol too- it definitly calmed her down, but it made her emotionaless she became rigid, almost like a statue- for her that was not the right medicine. I totally understand what you must have gone thru-It must have been real hard for you. mom was diagnosed 7-8 yrs ago, the last 2years it progressed IMMENSELY. I feel so bad with the hallucinations, I wonder what she must be going thru, it is like she is stuck in a bad acid trip or something.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 AM

70 posts, read 123,251 times
I am doing a 24/7 home care position. I have never worked with a dementia patient so boy am I learning. It is rough. She hallucinates at night and calls me all of the time. She wanders and she tries to beat the crap out of me when I shower her. Wow!!!!!! Last night she finally fell asleep at 4. I'm exhausted right now. The lady is 94 years old but, you would never know it. Her daughter and son in law were taking care of her but, the daughter got a bad case of burnout. Depression. I also have depression but, keep it under control with medication. This is alot harder than I thought though. Iwas just wandering if anyone else is going through this. The isolation is a killer. I'm trying to stay positive here. I try to find the moments that make her smile and work with that. She does go to a daycare 4 days a week for a few hours so that helps alittle. Any sugestions? Or just anyone else dealing with this?

Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM

37,131 posts, read 41,330,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankarma View Post
I am doing a 24/7 home care position. I have never worked with a dementia patient so boy am I learning. It is rough. She hallucinates at night and calls me all of the time. She wanders and she tries to beat the crap out of me when I shower her. Wow!!!!!! Last night she finally fell asleep at 4. I'm exhausted right now. The lady is 94 years old but, you would never know it. Her daughter and son in law were taking care of her but, the daughter got a bad case of burnout. Depression. I also have depression but, keep it under control with medication. This is alot harder than I thought though. Iwas just wandering if anyone else is going through this. The isolation is a killer. I'm trying to stay positive here. I try to find the moments that make her smile and work with that. She does go to a daycare 4 days a week for a few hours so that helps alittle. Any sugestions? Or just anyone else dealing with this?
I think it will be impossible for you to do this 24/7 single handed with only a few hours respite each week.

Her medications need to be reevaluated, and if that does not help, a nursing home that specializes in dementia is the best alternative.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:55 AM

you need to remember to take the time out and breathe- I care for my mother I have a lady that takes care of her while I work 9-5 - the rest is on me- I fully understand what you are going thru- Mom trys to beat the hell out of me when i shower her too - remember not to take things personally- Remind your patient always "Not to be scared" and "they are safe" try to make as much contact when you confirm this to them so they are fully hearing you when you are reassuring them of this- When they hallucinate and see bad people, assure them that you will take care of it and no one is going to the bother them and dont you worry- and MAINLY have a sense of humor- laughter is indeed the best medicine (for the BOTH of you). It is hard and if this is not a family member you might want to consider looking into a different case. Of course giving the daughter time to find someone else. I do this because this is my mother and I love her to death and the last thing I want to do is put her in a nursing home (I have strong feelings against that, to each is own on that matter). Good luck, If i can be of any help dont hesitate to ask.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM

70 posts, read 123,251 times
Thanks, jackinyc. I understand about the nursing home. I felt the same way about my mom years ago. She had sever depression, where she could not care for herself. I really do try to laugh at alot of things. I know what your saying about another case. I'm trying tohang in there. We have good days and we have bad. Today was bad. She got hostile with me quite a bit. It gets frustrating because, I would love to have a conversation and I start to get upset sometimes. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. God bless you for hanging in there.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankarma View Post
Thanks, jackinyc. I understand about the nursing home. I felt the same way about my mom years ago. She had sever depression, where she could not care for herself. I really do try to laugh at alot of things. I know what your saying about another case. I'm trying tohang in there. We have good days and we have bad. Today was bad. She got hostile with me quite a bit. It gets frustrating because, I would love to have a conversation and I start to get upset sometimes. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. God bless you for hanging in there.
Hi Tankarma- thats right tomorrow is another day
look at Coach Broyles alzheimers playbook-
Just put that in google-
You can download it for free- I suggest you read the whole thing - it helps - I read the whole thing every couple of months - at the end is the most beautiful alzheimers poem (on the purple page) I printed it out and I keep it on my fridge and read it often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health