Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

My ds 14 has been on Serequel for about a year.

shortly after being prescribed seroquel, he started threatening/atempting suicide. He's been in 4 mental health hospitals, now currently in a long-term mental health facility under court order.

they keep prescribing Seroquel, even though it has a black box warning that it might increase the risk of suicidal thoughts, especially in teens. I keep pointing this out, they keep prescribing it. I tried to d/c it, had CPS on my case for undermedicating him, called it medical neglect. That's how he ended up in the facility, being pumped with seroquel.

I've tried contacting laywers, no one wants to take us on without at least a $5000 retainer. meanwhile, what about DS? He continues to be pumped with all those meds. their claim, well, since he's been out of the house, no further suicide attempts, he only attempted suicide while here, so, the problem must be us!

They are conveniently ignoring the fact he attempted suicide 2x while in juvenile detention, I think they've massaged their records so it doesn't reflect it was a suicide attempt.

I feel we have recourse against every doctor and facility that continued to prescribe seroquel when they themselves diagnosed and treated him for seroquel. what recourse does one have when they can't afford legal services? Isn't there some sort of place, FDA, handicapped rights, some place?

Any suggestions? any help for my boy? Anything..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Oh, that makes me sad.
Blessings to him.
I can't be of much help but what state are you in assuming you're in the U.S.?
There must be a mental health advocate that you can contact.
I'm just wondering ... even though he's been court ordered to be in a mental health facility, don't you as a parent have any rights / choice regarding the kind of medication he's given?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Oh, that makes me sad.
Blessings to him.
I can't be of much help but what state are you in assuming you're in the U.S.?
There must be a mental health advocate that you can contact.
I'm just wondering ... even though he's been court ordered to be in a mental health facility, don't you as a parent have any rights / choice regarding the kind of medication he's given?

We're in Texas.

and, you're right, we haven't lost our parental rights. the facility he's in has a scheduled psychiatrist appt next week, I simply intend to be present. I will not ask in advance, just be there, then they have to be pro acvive in kicking me out, which will give me more power--I've been denied my parental rights.

Also, we continue to pay for the meds and psychiatrist visits, that should give us some sort of rights.

I just thought of something, enlist the aid of our insurance, they are always trying to put their nose in your face, anyways, for certain things they want you to have a cooridanator, so, get an insurance advocate checking into things.

I will also look into some sort of mental health advocate.

The problem is, ds put himself in this situation. We were making progress at home, without outside "intervention" but then, without going into a bunch of details, he kept getting into trouble with the law,almost like he was daring them, finally, after being in juvenile detention 3x, and continuing with the same behaviors, it was the court's decision, either TYC or this RTC (residential treatment center). But he keeps tying our hands, there's so much less we can do when he's not in our custody.

Even if he were in TYC, I would still have interest in his medical care and some input and control over it, we're still his parents.

To keep prescribing the same drug over and over, when it produces the very side effects the black box warning cautions against, is simply unacceptable, malpractice, and, IMO, abuse!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I am so sorry to hear of your family's painful situation and can understand your obvious concern.

Almost every anti-depressant and other similar meds have the black box info re suicide, especially among those your son's age. While I am not siding with the treating MDs, it might be that they feel this med can indeed help him particularly while he is in a **controlled environment**, as he is now. At times it takes trying multiple doses and/or meds to find one or a combo that is effective.

I would find out who the attending psychiatrist is, (NOT a resident) if you do not already know, and make an appt to see him or her regarding your son's treatment and your concerns. BE ADAMANT about speaking with the MD. The head RN of the unit might listen and help. Going about this in a non-combative way, while hard, is best. If that does not work, most hospitals have a patient/family advocate that is there for that purpose....use them. There is always a physician who is in an administrative role, supervising all MDs on staff. You could also try there.

Legal Aid Society (free) might listen to your concerns, if you have one in your city.

I wish all of you the best~

Old 07-06-2011, 10:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
What's his diagnosis? There are many other meds than Seroquel that can be prescribed. I was prescribed Seroquel for sleep at a very low dose and it just threw me into a delirium. If you can share more, I might have some more thoughts.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What's his diagnosis? There are many other meds than Seroquel that can be prescribed. I was prescribed Seroquel for sleep at a very low dose and it just threw me into a delirium. If you can share more, I might have some more thoughts.
His dx was ADD, RAD, and ocd. The started throwing seroquel at him when he complained he couldn't sleep. they keep upping the dose, started at 150 mg/day, not its 300 mg morning, 400 mg night, which I find completely ridiculous. Surely there's something not so powerful for sleep. he seemed to have luck with valerian, an OTC product.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
His dx was ADD, RAD, and ocd. The started throwing seroquel at him when he complained he couldn't sleep. they keep upping the dose, started at 150 mg/day, not its 300 mg morning, 400 mg night, which I find completely ridiculous. Surely there's something not so powerful for sleep. he seemed to have luck with valerian, an OTC product.
There are many ADD drugs out there - ritalin, adderall, concerta, vyvanse.

Sorry, what is RAD?

As far as sleeping, I take Klonopin and Ambien and Melatonin (OTC) when I have to. Also, non addicting that works for many people is Trazadone (which is also an anti-depressant).

SSRIs (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft type) can be used for OCD.

Seroquel is a pretty powerful drug used for bipolar and schizophrenia with the very nasty side effect of weight gain (and often a lot of it).

Don't know why they can't put him on these other drugs (except don't know what RAD is - new one on me).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
There are many ADD drugs out there - ritalin, adderall, concerta, vyvanse.

Sorry, what is RAD?

As far as sleeping, I take Klonopin and Ambien and Melatonin (OTC) when I have to. Also, non addicting that works for many people is Trazadone (which is also an anti-depressant).

SSRIs (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft type) can be used for OCD.

Seroquel is a pretty powerful drug used for bipolar and schizophrenia with the very nasty side effect of weight gain (and often a lot of it).

Don't know why they can't put him on these other drugs (except don't know what RAD is - new one on me).

RAD = reactive attachmet disorder

Please understand, we've had no say in the meds he's been on. The past year, he's been in 4 RTC, all 4 completely changed his meds around, with the instructions to follow up with his local psychiatrist. the local psychiatrist dimply added Seroquel to whatever mix they threw at him. When I tried to cut down some of the drugs, I was charged with medical neglect and undermedication. Apparently I'm supposed to just accept whatever they want to cram down him.

The suggestion to contact the nurse or doctor at the facility---there isn't one. They have NO medical support on site, they take him to a local psychiartist for RX refills. They barely answer the phone, its a cell phone, and all the cell says is to leave a message, in case of emergency to call ----the number I just called.

I have the feeling no one is minding the store. This place is approved by CPS, but when I call the CPS supervisor for that facility, I'm just transferred right back to their cell phone of the facility.

I requested they email me the meds he's on and dosage, that was 2 days ago, no response.

But, this was a kid who tried to kill me with a knife, had to be taken away to juvenile, then sent to a RTC. He's NOT in a state mental hospital, its a private RTC who contracts with CPS, I have the feeling they're not doing squat, and what condition will they hand him back to me in? But if I dare question them, they just sick CPS on me, medical neglect, etc. They're the ones guilty of medical neglect, prescribing meds that result in side effects that were cautioned against, and just prescribing more.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 07-07-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
I'm skeptical about Seroquel causing suicidal thoughts. Antipsychotics have never been known to cause this, with the exception of a study done on schizophrenic patients (which your son is not). He's probably depressed about being in the facility, causing him to be suicidal. Regardless, the dose he's receiving is massive for someone his age and must be causing other problems (like weight gain as another poster mentioned).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I'm skeptical about Seroquel causing suicidal thoughts. Antipsychotics have never been known to cause this, with the exception of a study done on schizophrenic patients (which your son is not). He's probably depressed about being in the facility, causing him to be suicidal. Regardless, the dose he's receiving is massive for someone his age and must be causing other problems (like weight gain as another poster mentioned).

Actually, it was the other way around, he had problems, then was placed on meds, then in a facility. I don't understand why they have him on such high doses. he complained not being able to sleep, so they upped the seroquel dose. I tried one seroquel, it knocked me out for almost a day and a half! WTH is a kid his age even doing on such crap?

Seroquel does carry a black box warning about suicide, so, there must be some linkage. All I know is, the more treatment he receives, the worse he gets. It was to the point he attacked me and dd with a knife, that's why he's now in state custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health