Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,051 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Moved from Parenting forum - Not specific to parenting.

I learned last year after my husband's single vehicle accident that broke his back in 2 places that my husband has a huffing addiction to canned "air". He has been huffing up to 5 cans a day for over a year now. I fear every day I will walk in and find him deceased from his addiction. I no longer know what to do to help him. This is not just a problem that affects teens, but adults as well. My family has been destroyed. Our children are shocked and feel helpless, as do I. Unfortunately, because you can buy the canned air at WalMart in a self check isle, nothing we have done has prevented my husband's access. He believes because it is not "illegal" he doesn't have to worry about being caught ... I'm more worried about his life.

Last edited by JustJulia; 07-18-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,225,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kld_pi View Post
Moderator cut: Moved from Parenting forum - Not specific to parenting.

I learned last year after my husband's single vehicle accident that broke his back in 2 places that my husband has a huffing addiction to canned "air". He has been huffing up to 5 cans a day for over a year now. I fear every day I will walk in and find him deceased from his addiction. I no longer know what to do to help him. This is not just a problem that affects teens, but adults as well. My family has been destroyed. Our children are shocked and feel helpless, as do I. Unfortunately, because you can buy the canned air at WalMart in a self check isle, nothing we have done has prevented my husband's access. He believes because it is not "illegal" he doesn't have to worry about being caught ... I'm more worried about his life.
I have no knowledge of huffing but it just seems so weird to me that someone would inhale canned air. I assume it makes him high but I am not sure how air would do that. (you can tell I know nothing about this)

I am sorry you are going through this and hopefully he will seek help.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM

I just googled it and now see that canned air products have a gas in them that can be highly flammable as well as toxic.

OP, I hope your husband will get help. I can only imagine how worried you must be.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM

5,608 posts, read 6,538,544 times
^^^^^ Why, oh, why, is this stuff legal????????

Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,051 times
I'm excited to say that my husband entered a 30 day rehab program 7 days ago. I pray that he will have the strength to conquer his addiction ... especially when he returns to a "real life" setting.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kld_pi View Post
I'm excited to say that my husband entered a 30 day rehab program 7 days ago. I pray that he will have the strength to conquer his addiction ... especially when he returns to a "real life" setting.

It is good he's acknowledged he has a problem and is seeking help. I know you and your family are relieved he has taken the first steps towards conquering his addiction. Hopefully he will succeed and your familiy can move forward. Good luck to him.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 PM

95 posts, read 247,978 times
That's great news kld_pi, and a big relief for you I'm sure. Lots of luck to you all.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 PM

22,678 posts, read 24,669,137 times
Yikes, I would never do this.

‪Allison from Intervention‬‏ - YouTube

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM

730 posts, read 2,257,129 times
Sorry to hear about your husband but I am pleased to hear he sought treatment. My older children's father who they visit every other weekend is also addicted to huffing canned air.So no it is not just a problem facing teens. My children report their dad will huff and then they will find him passed out (canned air in hand). What is does with his life is not my call, I just pray that they are not there when he doesn't wake up......

Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 AM

20,971 posts, read 28,508,718 times
I am glad your husband sought out treatment. Hopefully he can stay clean. He was huffing for a year and you did not know? He must have hid it really well. good luck and god bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health