Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM

527 posts, read 1,020,924 times

Advertisements

Hi- can anyone suggest anything? its very frustrating, My mom was diagnosed w dementia 7 yrs ago and it progressed extremely in the last 2 yrs, she is currently on seroquel- she suffers from extreme agitation at times, has anyone known anyone that goes thru this and could recommend any different medication? the neurologists tell me its all a crap shoot and i tried to keep her off the "drugs" as long as possible, it seems when they had me try the different drugs 2 years ago thats what all seemed to trigger these "rages" -- tried: Aricept, namenda, excelon, valiums, xanax, risperdal, ativan - they all seemed to have made the aggression much worse- she is currently on seroquel but still hallucinating and goes into blind rages out of nowhere- I do NOT want to put her in a home and I dont want her to be a total zombie, But I need to have her somewhat sedated at this point-- Any suggestions? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
The only suggesitonm is behavioral management, which doesn't work on a really demented patient. You could ask her doc about Benadryl as it can be sedating for most. But for some, it can be like taking speed. You say you don't want her in a home but that may be the safest place for her. Do you have children? A spouse who is getting worn-down and fed-up?

There's something called Geodon I think - have you tried that? Maybe a combination is what she needs now. Her mind is well past reasoning by the sounds of it. She can be a danger to herslef and others now.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM

23,616 posts, read 70,539,170 times
It'll zombify a little, but sounds like you need to start considering thorazine. We had to use a lot of it with the severely demented patients or have wards that were total chaos and dangerous to everyone. Talk with her doctor.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,657,489 times
A friend had to put his father in a special place for Alzheimer and dementia patients who become abusive. His father kept attacking and hitting his mother. They tried drugs, but ended up putting him in this special place it got so bad.

I'm sorry I can't offer any help. This is such a sad thing to happen to anyone.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,791 times
Atypical antipsychotics (Risperdal, Seroquel, Geodon, etc.) should not be used in elderly patients with dementia due to an increased risk of death. I believe it is a Black Box warning on all atypicals.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:56 PM

37,168 posts, read 41,364,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
Atypical antipsychotics (Risperdal, Seroquel, Geodon, etc.) should not be used in elderly patients with dementia due to an increased risk of death. I believe it is a Black Box warning on all atypicals.

You are correct. Thorazine is also contraindicated (may increase risk of stroke.)

OP, you might want to ask the neurologist about lamotrigine. See here: Aggression in Dementia With Lamotrigine Treatment -- DEVARAJAN and DURSUN 157 (7): 1178 -- Am J Psychiatry

The biggest problem is with a potentially severe sunburn-like rash. The rash usually starts after the first week but usually not after the eighth week. If the rash begins, it can be accompanied by other serious symptoms and the medication must be stopped.

This is OFF LABEL prescribing, and you may need to consult a psychiatrist who is experienced in prescribing it.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM

thanks for the responses- I know seroquel?Atypical antipsychotics are not for elderly dementia but 3 different neurologists explained that this is what is given to elderly/dementia patients- unfortunately nothing is approved for this so everything is "trial and error". I will look into Lamotrigine Treatment, this is the first I am hearing of it and will look it up thanks- I really do NOT want to put mom anywhere, For the most part I have it under control but there are times where the disease flips a switch in her and its blind rage time- It has been a long road, But I am grateful (for her) that I am able to do it and keep her home, I do not trust strangers in a home to take care of her especially when she does go into these rages. it is such a horrible disease. thanks again and I look forward to any/all suggestions

Old 11-02-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
thanks for the responses- I know seroquel?Atypical antipsychotics are not for elderly dementia but 3 different neurologists explained that this is what is given to elderly/dementia patients- unfortunately nothing is approved for this so everything is "trial and error". I will look into Lamotrigine Treatment, this is the first I am hearing of it and will look it up thanks- I really do NOT want to put mom anywhere, For the most part I have it under control but there are times where the disease flips a switch in her and its blind rage time- It has been a long road, But I am grateful (for her) that I am able to do it and keep her home, I do not trust strangers in a home to take care of her especially when she does go into these rages. it is such a horrible disease. thanks again and I look forward to any/all suggestions
I applaud your decision to avoid placing your mom in a home. However, you need to take care of yourself and your family, too. Burnout comes all to soon if you do not have some respite available.

Do you have other family members to help? If not, there should be reliable, trustworthy resources for in home help in your community. Your neurologist may be able to help, or there may be referrals through Alzheimer's support groups.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 11-02-2010 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I applaud your decision to avoid placing your mom in a home. However, you need to take care of yourself and your family, too. Burnout comes all to soon if you do not have some respite available.

Do you have other family members to help? If not, there should be reliable, trustworthy resources for in home help in your community. Your neurologist may be able to help, or there may be referrals through Alzheimer's support groups.
Hi- yes burnout does come fast - my family has ceased the help/coming around - they buried their heads in the sand and feel it is "too much for them" to see mom become a shell of a person- it is their own excuse for not dealing - out of sight out of mind- after many discussions/arguments I gave up- we see them on holidays thats about it- anyway I work during the week So I pay a caregiver to watch mom while I am at work, mom likes her and they go for walks a couple of times during the day etc. I get out to go to dinner or functions normally 2-3 times a month. It is VERY hard, I changed my whole life in the past 2 years, I am 41, thank god my b/f has been as understanding as possible and tries to help out as much as he can. We used to go out all the time. It is VERY expensive to say the least. I cant save a penny but we are doing it -- My sisters talked me into putting mom in a home 2yrs ago, it was suppose to be the best of the best, cream of the crop etc. - I had mom in there for 2wks and I broke her out- to make a long story short they had her drugged up like a zombie, had her in diapers (mom never needed that) and when i walked in during feeding they had heavy towels around her neck and hands in lap with heavy towels over them and they were spoon feeding her, she didnt see me come in, she was crying and had food in her hair etc. needless to say that confirmed my knowing she will never go into a home again- You see my mom is physically fit as a horse she just turned 77 BUT she has SEVERE full blown dementia- She can NOT communicate- She is literally like a 3 year old girl- So I do what I have to do. I love my mom to death and I will care for her,I keep her happy and smiling as much as I possibly can, I do NOT want nor trust for strangers in a home to do it, I have heard horror stories and even one of the nurses in that home told me when they saw me first walk in they knew I would be taking mom out she even hinted with moms disease that nothing beats family doing it over strangers- If mom was physically ail then it might be differnt, Well , thanks for the vent, I feel somewhat better

Last edited by jackinyc; 11-03-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Hi- yes burnout does come fast - my family has ceased the help/coming around - they buried their heads in the sand and feel it is "too much for them" to see mom become a shell of a person- it is their own excuse for not dealing - out of sight out of mind- after many discussions/arguments I gave up- we see them on holidays thats about it- anyway I work during the week So I pay a caregiver to watch mom while I am at work, mom likes her and they go for walks a couple of times during the day etc. I get out to go to dinner or functions normally 2-3 times a month. It is VERY hard, I changed my whole life in the past 2 years, I am 41, thank god my b/f has been as understanding as possible and tries to help out as much as he can. We used to go out all the time. It is VERY expensive to say the least. I cant save a penny but we are doing it -- My sisters talked me into putting mom in a home 2yrs ago, it was suppose to be the best of the best, cream of the crop etc. - I had mom in there for 2wks and I broke her out- to make a long story short they had her drugged up like a zombie, had her in diapers (mom never needed that) and when i walked in during feeding they had heavy towels around her neck and hands in lap with heavy towels over them and they were spoon feeding her, she didnt see me come in, she was crying and had food in her hair etc. needless to say that confirmed my knowing she will never go into a home again- You see my mom is physically fit as a horse she just turned 77 BUT she has SEVERE full blown dementia- She can NOT communicate- She is literally like a 3 year old girl- So I do what I have to do. I love my mom to death and I will care for her,I keep her happy and smiling as much as I possibly can, I do NOT want nor trust for strangers in a home to do it, I have heard horror stories and even one of the nurses in that home told me when they saw me first walk in they knew I would be taking mom out she even hinted with moms disease that nothing beats family doing it over strangers- If mom was physically ail then it might be differnt, Well , thanks for the vent, I feel somewhat better
Vent all you want! We're here to help if we can! Are your sisters helping with expenses, at least?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health