Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:07 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

Great posts! Thanks!..Even though this thread is basically about not having many (or any) expectations I've been feeling a strong urge to start a "wish list" again. (I haven't had a "wish list" since the early 80's.)...I'm going to write down some of my goals and dreams for the future. Right now it doesn't seem like I have much of a future. I'm living in limbo hoping and praying that my son will recover from his brain tumors. And it feels like my life basically "stopped" when my husband died in 2010...I'm going to have to reinvent myself (whether I feel like it or not) in order to have a future of my own...Who am I? What do I want for myself? What excites me? What don't I like or want anymore?...I'll just start with expecting to have a future and go from there. I'm still here. (So far anyway!) How do I want to spend the rest of my life? What do I need to do to feel excited about "going on?"...So what if everything on my "wish list" doesn't materialize or "come true" for me. I feel proud of myself for just wanting to "wish" and "dream" again! This is a big step for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Jasper,
I'm glad you hung in there & things worked out better than expected!

CArizona,
DREAM BIG!!

Ryan Shupe & the RubberBand - Dream Big - YouTube

Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I learn more from my cat every day. Just having some food, and a place to lay in the sun makes any day perfect. He is an excellent role model. But he is a bit of a slug.

I have set one goal for myself, I need to be more healthy. And I am failing quite miserably at it so far this year. But, tomorrow is another day!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Add

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Coolhand68...I agree with you. It helps to have a little consistency and predictability. Otherwise everything seems like a "free-for-all" and very chaotic!...I have a "chaotic" friend who forgets most everything and doesn't usually "follow through" on anything she says! I accept her for "who she is." I still like her. But her ways and forgetfulness can cause a lot of stress at times.
Your friend may have attention deficit disorder. Adults can have this also, possibly even having had it from childhood. Possibly bi-polar could be invoved also. Maybe she should see a doctor regarding this problem.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM

Expectations of "Old" Friends

We have a number of friends from many years ago, all of whom live in other states. I do have the expectation that they will be in contact once in a while--at least once or twice a year. And a number do call/e-mail us. I write those who do not off my list. If they can't be bothered to make the effort, why should I call, e-mail or send them photos and Christmas cards. I'm culling my e-mail list today of those slugs! And taking them off my Christmas card list. Simplify life is what I'm into these days, and this is one small thing I can to to accomplish that.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
I think goals and dreams are different from expectations. Goals and dreams move you forward.
Expectations hold you back, cause discontent.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Default "The Secret"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Great posts! Thanks!..Even though this thread is basically about not having many (or any) expectations I've been feeling a strong urge to start a "wish list" again. (I haven't had a "wish list" since the early 80's.)...I'm going to write down some of my goals and dreams for the future. Right now it doesn't seem like I have much of a future. I'm living in limbo hoping and praying that my son will recover from his brain tumors. And it feels like my life basically "stopped" when my husband died in 2010...I'm going to have to reinvent myself (whether I feel like it or not) in order to have a future of my own...Who am I? What do I want for myself? What excites me? What don't I like or want anymore?...I'll just start with expecting to have a future and go from there. I'm still here. (So far anyway!) How do I want to spend the rest of my life? What do I need to do to feel excited about "going on?"...So what if everything on my "wish list" doesn't materialize or "come true" for me. I feel proud of myself for just wanting to "wish" and "dream" again! This is a big step for me!
Have you read the book or seen the video, "The Secret?" It will help you on your quest to decide what you actually want and then put your thought processess into actions to help you attain your goals. It's very unique and a good read.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But, tomorrow is another day!
I'm with you, Jasper. I've got some projects for tomorrow too.

Hey! Let's get everyone similar together!
Procrastinators of the world... UNITE!!!... Tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think goals and dreams are different from expectations. Goals and dreams move you forward.
Expectations hold you back, cause discontent.
Agreed.
Expectations are similar to goals & faith, except expectations have strings attached.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Have you read the book or seen the video, "The Secret?" It will help you on your quest to decide what you actually want and then put your thought processess into actions to help you attain your goals. It's very unique and a good read.
It's actually not unique at all. It's another version of the same idea that has been put forth in many incarnations. I have a book about developing your natural psychic abilities, and part of it is the creation of a "goal bowl" to read aloud every night and direct your mind to help you attain the goals you listed therein. The author of this one has been dead since long before The Secret hit the shelves.

But, one of the goals I wrote down this past October was "quit smoking", and a little more than a month ago, I did. After 35 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health