Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

I kind of made peace with a family member tonight. I had some minor issues with my aunt and have not spoken to her in 5 years. My mom has been keeping me up to date with her health because it's been slowly going down hill since 2008. I found out tonight she was in the hospital with serious health issues and decided to let my past issues with her go. I called her up and she was so glad to hear from me. We talked for 15 minutes and I felt very good about this. She is also my godmother and it meant so much to my mom that I made the call. I have been wanting to call her for a year now but I did not want to rehash the past. Even if I don't like someone or their actions or choose not to speak to them I certainly don't wish them to be Ill or near death.There's very little family left on my mom's side and I needed closure. So for me making that call was the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
lubby..Good for you for calling your Aunt! Good that the call went so well too!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,906 times
For some families peace is impossible.

Sometimes the best we can do is make peace with the fact that some family members will never be satisfied no matter how hard you try to please them.

Make peace with your family? Only if you mean making peace with yourself first, then trying to do what is right by your standards. If you mean trying to suck up to your family and beg their forgiveness for your flaws, I guess it depends on whether or not your flaws or sins are imagined on their part, or if they are negative things that you truly did do.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
If you were considering going away permanently, would you want to make peace with all of those who either wronged you, or those whom you just fell out with? Even if you weren't going to be around, would you at least want to put it to rest and say "no hard feelings", even by letter or email, no matter how much it might go against your grain of thought?
What do you mean by permanently?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,145 times
To forgive someone is a gift you give to yourself. Remember The Lord's Prayer: "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us". Think about it. . . Do you REALLY want the Lord to forgive you as you forgive others? Might want to beef up on that Forgiveness task.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Trust me, I forgave already.

They're going to have a bit of a shock in a year's time though!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
If you were considering going away permanently, would you want to make peace with all of those who either wronged you, or those whom you just fell out with? Even if you weren't going to be around, would you at least want to put it to rest and say "no hard feelings", even by letter or email, no matter how much it might go against your grain of thought?
If you were to go away permanently?
Hell yeah - wave and smile, wave and smile)))

Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,401,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If you were to go away permanently?
Hell yeah - wave and smile, wave and smile)))
Heh. The "me" they thought they knew has most definitely gone away permanently.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
And that's okay, the most important thing is that the *new you* wouldn't be bothered by them too much..

Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 AM

256 posts, read 480,339 times
Quote:
Those who truly love you, will always love you. Those who didn't love you before are not going to start loving you later, so why bother thinking about them, right?
Love and accept yourself. Unconditionally. God made you this way and he doesn't make mistakes. There is a reason why you have to undergo a transformation.
And I think this reason is personal growth.
So go ahead butterfly, come out of your cocoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health