Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there a such thing as a normal life?
Yes there is a such thing as normal/standard. 19 55.88%
No there's no such thing as normal/standard. 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:44 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times

Advertisements

i notice a lot of people say 'there is no such thing as normal,' just because there's some oddballs in the world like myself or others.... but imo there is a such thing as normal: dating as a teen, dating/partying in college, getting married, having children. it's the reason you see this pattern played out all over societies and with different religions, backgrounds etc. not sure why people 'pretend there is no normal or standard' when clearly there is? if you veer far off the path of 'normal' they certainly notice, don't they? where do you stand on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
i notice a lot of people say 'there is no such thing as normal,' just because there's some oddballs in the world like myself or others.... but imo there is a such thing as normal: dating as a teen, dating/partying in college, getting married, having children. it's the reason you see this pattern played out all over societies and with different religions, backgrounds etc. not sure why people 'pretend there is no normal or standard' when clearly there is? if you veer far off the path of 'normal' they certainly notice, don't they? where do you stand on this.
That is a societal normal, not a human normal.

In some countries, and in some cultures, teenagers are not allowed to "date." The Romani, for example - virginity is *expected* and women *are* virgins when they get married, period. And their husbands are typically picked for them by their families, and they are often married before they turn 16. And - once they are married, it is *normal* for them to live with their in-laws, and cook and clean and make babies and keep house for not only their husbands, but for their mother-in-law and father-in-law and all -their- unmarried children. Dating is not an option.

In some parts of Indian society, marriage is still arranged by the parents, the daughters do not get to veto a husband she doesn't want, and in fact, she is raised to not even realize that "wanting" and "not wanting" a particular husband isn't even something to think about.

In some parts of the MiddleEast, a man caught partying in college can be executed. A woman caught partying at all can be executed and her family fined.

So no, these things you mention aren't "normal." That's the wrong word for it. They're cultural norms, cultural standards. But they aren't universal, and so are not normal with regards to human psychology.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
anyone, else?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
When you are communicating to other people, you should use words they understand.

Many people use the word normal to describe typical or average behavior. Or the condition we are in physically can be commonly described as "normal" or "not normal". Development of a child, etc.

Various professions have unique terms and phrases. Like legal, medical, mental health, electronics, etc. When you are in one of those fields and are talking to another person in that field, then you can communicate more precisely by using technical terms.

Anyway I would say it depends on who you are talking to.

FYI - I just went for a check-up at my doctor's office. He told me my blood tests were normal. I understood what he was talking about.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
If you are using the term "normal" as a statistical term, then yes, there is such a thing as normal . . .

Otherwise, no. There are too many variables (oops- another statistical reference!)

Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
I think I'm a normal person.

By normal I mean, no particular quirks, kinks, disabilities, or fears. Two arms two legs, good health. No criminal record. Average intelligence.

Nothing that threatens a normal lifestyle...by which I mean, get up, go to work, come home, go to bed. Repeat.

I have a car, a house, a couple of kids and a couple of pets. I'm not mean to anyone and I mind my own business.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
What is considered normal for a human being

Every single human is special. There is no such thing as a "normal" someone or comrade -- try to see it that way. There are mainstream people, or average people, but they are just as normal as eccentric people are, although it might not seem that way! Really, God created us all and we are all special and different from each other. We are not sheep in a flock.

Read more: What is considered normal for a human being

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
normal is a loser.
lots of normal around to see.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
I think there is a way of life and behavior that's considered "normal" in each society, but if someone was "normal" in every aspect of their life, well, that wouldn't be normal! Some people fall so far outside what's supposed to be normal that they can't even function, or commit horrible crimes, etc, so that's pretty obvious. With other people it might not be as obvious that some aspect of their life is out of whack with what normal is supposed to be, especially if they try to appear they're conforming to the normal. But if there really is someone out there that doesn't have ANY "abnormal" traits... well that would be weird. And the more I see of people, the less I believe that person exists.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I think I'm a normal person.

By normal I mean, no particular quirks, kinks, disabilities, or fears. Two arms two legs, good health. No criminal record. Average intelligence.

Nothing that threatens a normal lifestyle...by which I mean, get up, go to work, come home, go to bed. Repeat.

I have a car, a house, a couple of kids and a couple of pets. I'm not mean to anyone and I mind my own business.

Well then - you are most definitely NOT normal, by anyone's standards that I'm aware of (maybe some obscure tribe of indigenous peoples of Alaska? Someone would have to google it and it's too early in the morning for me).

Normal people around here, have fears. Some of them fear spiders. Some (like myself) fear heights that have sharp drops (like standing on top of a ladder). Some are afraid of death, some of failure.

Normal people around here, have quirks. I play text games on the internet. My sister has four cats. My next door neighbor is deaf, the neighbor on the other side of the house thinks it's fun to ride his ATV in circles around his back yard.

And we all live in a normal neighborhood and consider ourselves and each other to be within the range of "normal."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health