Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times

Advertisements

Wow. The meds have already stopped the voices, etc. I would be surprised if it's schizophrenia then. My sister had schizophrenia. Her meds would get her well enough to ignore the voices, and know they weren't real, but they were always there for her. Regardless, obviously she can be treated. I bet the group therapy will do her wonders, too.

I know it's been exhausting and stressful for you. Good on you for helping her :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM

293 posts, read 469,376 times
Needs to be taken care of ASAP. I have a distant cousin that has been battling it for years; when he first started showing signs, he did not have a support group. Stole his parent's car and ended up in Seattle claiming he was there to meet with Ted Turner. Ended up in prison and threw acid in a priest's face after the priest tried to help him. Horrible story. His parents spent every dime they had getting him out. He now lives with his mom; his father passed away several years ago at somewhat young age. He is better now but they have him heavily medicated.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM

196 posts, read 424,580 times
When my Mom was hospitalized, it was always so amazing to me that she came around in a few days under the meds.

Hopefully your family member will have someone around to ensure meds are getting taken. When my Mom was out of the hospital, she would quickly go off her meds, and the paranoia/delusions/schizophrenia would kick back in.

Glad to hear of some good progress.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times
My mom had something similar develop when she was 50 too. The voices, delusions, etc. We tried to do multiple interventions and get her to see a doc. She wouldn't and in the end she committed suicide. She never showed symptoms prior to the late onset, it came out of nowhere.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:32 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,530 times
- There's a Doctor that has a TV show Dr. Becker that I catch sometimes.
Some of the things pertaining to me has worked.

But this week I caught him talking about Schizophrenia.

And I was surprised about what the most simple thing he said
for a person with Schizophrenia to do. Or, not to do.

Which has been proven to reverse this disorder
which even one's Doctor could recommend wouldn't hurt their patient to try.

Stop Eating Wheat, Stop The Gluten Diet All Together.

Hope This Helps.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- There's a Doctor that has a TV show Dr. Becker that I catch sometimes.
Some of the things pertaining to me has worked.

But this week I caught him talking about Schizophrenia.

And I was surprised about what the most simple thing he said
for a person with Schizophrenia to do. Or, not to do.

Which has been proven to reverse this disorder
which even one's Doctor could recommend wouldn't hurt their patient to try.

Stop Eating Wheat, Stop The Gluten Diet All Together.

Hope This Helps.
I would be very interested to see empirical, peer-reviewed research that backs up this claim.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Really thankful for all your input.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:03 PM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
When my Mom was hospitalized, it was always so amazing to me that she came around in a few days under the meds.

Hopefully your family member will have someone around to ensure meds are getting taken. When my Mom was out of the hospital, she would quickly go off her meds, and the paranoia/delusions/schizophrenia would kick back in.

Glad to hear of some good progress.
Well, she has been at home, taking her meds, the family thought she was so much better, then 2 weeks ago she refused to take the meds anymore. My brother told me she has been fine, but it's only been two weeks.

I've heard so much about problems when they don't take their meds. Does it take a while for the symptoms to come back, or is a remission even possible?

And she found out that he told other family members and she got so angry & humiliated, even though of course we don't think bad of her. She doesn't want anyone to mention it, doesn't want to talk to us, doesn't want us talking to her grown kids. Wondered if that was some of the paranoia.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:38 AM

97 posts, read 145,881 times
Sorry, I was diagnosed BP1 but Scizhoaffective fits well too.

Before I had a full break, complete with auditory hallucinations and 3 seconds from extreme violence, I heard heavy metal playing, when hypomanic happy tunes. At my worst, I have heard those voices you really don't want to hear telling me to do bad things to me and others, just did them to me.

The main I reason I posted is I would have imaginary conversations with people that are real in my 20's my break was about 40 so looking back there were signs.

The best, best advice I can give anyone with MI is.................do whatever it takes whatever to lower you stress. Stress and Mental Illness = Psycosis.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I would be very interested to see empirical, peer-reviewed research that backs up this claim.
..still listening to the crickets chirp, one year later. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health