Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 03:13 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,394 times

Advertisements

I've read here that l-theanine works for the treatment of anxiety. Can anyone recommend a specific brand/dosage? I've been awakening through the night with high levels of anxiety....going through major life transition at the moment. I'm in therapy and it's helping but am interested in hearing more about this supplement or any others you may have used with good outcome. Would also appreciate hearing brand names. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:44 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Hell yes!

I'm using Solgar L-Theanine, 150mg capsules twice a day. I stopped waking early in a state of anxiety and my anxiety generally lowered. I then added 5-HTP, 150mg which improved me even further. My depression is pretty much gone now. I am still on meds but those meds were only marginally effective until I started the L-Theanine and then 5-HTP. (5-HTP is the synthetic form of tryptophan found in cashews and is supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier more effectively). I had been eating cashews for the tryptophan which helped quite a bit some months before starting the L-Theanine. It's not expensive and is nothing more than an amino acid found in tea leaves.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 PM

20 posts, read 54,663 times
I tried it, and it did not work. However, I find many supplements and substances do nothing to me, even ones with some (or a lot of) promising research, and that are very well reviewed by many people.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I tried it, and it did not work. However, I find many supplements and substances do nothing to me,
I suppose it will only work if one has a GABA deficiency to start with. GABA deficiency is not the only cause of anxiety. Mood swings would be another indication of GABA deficiency. I must say L-Theanine while effective, did not stop my anxiety completely. Taking 5-HTP together with L-Theanine helped further. One could also have zinc and/or magnesium deficiencies which can cause anxiety. I'm taking those too. I now sleep like a log! Comparing that to waking in the small hours feeling anxious and waking too early, again feeling anxious, is a huge improvement.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Try Calm. It's powdered magnesium. It works really well and helps you sleep.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Hell yes!

I'm using Solgar L-Theanine, 150mg capsules twice a day. I stopped waking early in a state of anxiety and my anxiety generally lowered. I then added 5-HTP, 150mg which improved me even further. My depression is pretty much gone now. I am still on meds but those meds were only marginally effective until I started the L-Theanine and then 5-HTP. (5-HTP is the synthetic form of tryptophan found in cashews and is supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier more effectively). I had been eating cashews for the tryptophan which helped quite a bit some months before starting the L-Theanine. It's not expensive and is nothing more than an amino acid found in tea leaves.
Thanks 303guy, have you ever tried the powder form? I read some good reviews of a powder form made by Liftmode.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks everyone. I've read online that it works best when taken with caffeine. Unfortunately, I can not take caffeine....keeps me awake no,matter when I take it.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 AM

I've only tried the capsules (which contain a powder). I'm not sure about caffeine. Stimulants will surely make anxiety worse!

Old 01-01-2015, 08:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
It works, but I had to take such high doses it was almost cost prohibitive. I stopped after a couple of weeks

As mentioned try to keep the caffeine down to 1 cup of coffee a day or none.

Exercise and meditation work well too.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Exercise and meditation work well too.
Good point. I do believe this to be true and now that you mention it, I need to do both!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health