Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Thank you, I wondered if it would just relax me, I didn't want to be knocked out as hubby drives me to the hospital.
Chances are that's all it will do, calm you down. Any drug can work differently on different people, yes some who take this kind of drug ( not just Benzos) will get very sleepy, others will feel a little high. Chances are if you can not take " cold medicine" you will feel a little high or no effect at all. Sort of like people who drink booze a lot, effects can vary. Again , we are not trying to scare you, all drugs have side effects that can work differently depending on the person. For the procedure you are having, chances are you don't need any meds. Your Doctor knows best, Xanax has a calming effect and that can be good for everyone around you too. Actually for people who have recurring anxiety, many Drs. Will prescribe a drug ( a Benzo too ) that has a timed release property. Some people are on these drugs for many years, they can help and hurt, ether way listen to your Dr........and the reactions you feel, sometimes nothing at all. My guess is you won't notice any effect with that low a dose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
WOW, what a drug. I have a high pain tolerance that wasn't what was troubling me. It was the ???? benign or malignant??? That was enough to tear my nerves to pieces. My let's ignore it and it will go away, but not the sleepless nights pondering and worrying is something eating me alive.

I took one Xanax as prescribed one hour before the procedure and didn't need another one at all. One did the trick. Nerves, what nerves I had no nerves.

I thank all of you for your helpful comments and the biopsy was benign.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
WOW, what a drug. I have a high pain tolerance that wasn't what was troubling me. It was the ???? benign or malignant??? That was enough to tear my nerves to pieces. My let's ignore it and it will go away, but not the sleepless nights pondering and worrying is something eating me alive.

I took one Xanax as prescribed one hour before the procedure and didn't need another one at all. One did the trick. Nerves, what nerves I had no nerves.

See, as prescribed, and i never was a 'legal' dr. ether. Congrads for you !!!

Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:

Congrats on your results. I have some .5 Xanax left over from a procedure almost a year ago. I take *half* of one, on days when I am expecting something especially stressful (like a mammography or my mother coming up to visit from Florida). If it's an ongoing stress (like mom being here for two days) I'll take half of one in the morning - then another half just before dinner - rinse and repeat til the stressful event is over.

Definitely not something I'd want to take every day, but for those moments (or limited number of days) where extreme stress is inevitable, it's very helpful in making it easier for me to handle the stress. It doesn't eliminate the stress. It just takes the edge off. That's what it's for though so it does exactly what it's supposed to do as long as you take it in the manner in which it was intended.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Congrats on your results. I have some .5 Xanax left over from a procedure almost a year ago. I take *half* of one, on days when I am expecting something especially stressful (like a mammography or my mother coming up to visit from Florida). If it's an ongoing stress (like mom being here for two days) I'll take half of one in the morning - then another half just before dinner - rinse and repeat til the stressful event is over.

Definitely not something I'd want to take every day, but for those moments (or limited number of days) where extreme stress is inevitable, it's very helpful in making it easier for me to handle the stress. It doesn't eliminate the stress. It just takes the edge off. That's what it's for though so it does exactly what it's supposed to do as long as you take it in the manner in which it was intended.
That can be the problem, we can have so many days when stress is worse than the last time, so , take a whole pill , then, another stress, take 1 1/2 . ....on and on , till you find yourself addicted. Many people include booze as part of the prescription, which only makes the depression worse. After several years of this, and 4-5 pills every time i felt a panic attack coming on , well lets just say it only takes one major event that you feel insurmountable , like a operation for cancer , a death of a close relative , etc. , to push you over the edge. No one is immune to getting addicted , it just takes more or less drugs to have the calming effect, depending on the person. ......and , the intended reaction. Remember, we are not talking about recreation drugs or the use of a drug thats meant to help in hard times, no it all starts out as a sane, responsible action. Many times, a person can control their intake, no different than alcohol , but it only takes one wrong move to get started down the road of addiction, and it can take a long time to turn your life around too. Weaning yourself off any drug, especially a Benzo can be hell on earth. The best advice should always come from your medical professional. There are people out there who are taking Benzos ( XanaX and like kind ) drugs for their entire life, and they can mean the difference between life or death, and a persons mental conditions. Taking say 1MG of Clonazepam every day is often part of a controlled program to withdrawal for some people , others will take this drug, which is a timed released form of XanaX , as part of their mental health for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health