Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:10 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times

Advertisements

Considering we're born with brains that are only 25% developed, when it comes to dis-ease that doesn't presents itself at birth, I'd consider environmental influence as much more powerful than genetic.
That is hopeful - as long as people are willing to take responsibility.

If you're interested in diving into this deeper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=OwH7xuue5rE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:09 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Considering we're born with brains that are only 25% developed, when it comes to dis-ease that doesn't presents itself at birth, I'd consider environmental influence as much more powerful than genetic.
However, the personality disorder itself is determined by genetics. Don't forget that the person will not develop a personality disorder unless h/she has experienced fairly severe trauma by the age of 6 or 7.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:07 PM

41 posts, read 112,384 times
Depends greatly on the specific personality disorder. To start off your question, many of them can be caused by both environmental and passed on by genes. Although the answer to this question is still under a lot of debate on which definitely causes some of these disorders, a lot of times people who deal with these disorders( such as myself, Borderline,) have been through abuse or some sort as a child or sometimes even an adult. A lot of people with BPD have had similar experiences to people who are PTSD such as, sexual abuse, child molestation, neglect, verbal abuse, physical abuse, and physiological abuse. When it comes to others such as bipolar and antisocial, im not sure. I've personally have never dealt with those. I hope this helps

- A person who has dealt with both PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, and OCD.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrongun View Post
many of them can be caused by both environmental and passed on by genes
A gene, per se, does not cause a personality disorder to be passed on. It is not like a mood disorder or a psychotic disorder, which are heavily genetically determined.

Every personality disorder has a hallmark feature. In Borderline PD, it's abandonment. A person would not develop this specific PD unless he or she faced trauma in this area as a young child. The personality disorder is what helps the child cope with his or her environment.

Quote:
When it comes to others such as bipolar and antisocial, im not sure. I've personally have never dealt with those.
The Bipolar disorders I and II are not personality disorders.

Recent research on Antisocial personality disorder shows there is a strong genetic predisposition. However, like the rest of the personality disorders, it cannot develop without environmental triggers.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A gene, per se, does not cause a personality disorder to be passed on. It is not like a mood disorder or a psychotic disorder, which are heavily genetically determined.

Every personality disorder has a hallmark feature. In Borderline PD, it's abandonment. A person would not develop this specific PD unless he or she faced trauma in this area as a young child. The personality disorder is what helps the child cope with his or her environment.

The Bipolar disorders I and II are not personality disorders.

Recent research on Antisocial personality disorder shows there is a strong genetic predisposition. However, like the rest of the personality disorders, it cannot develop without environmental triggers.

Actually BPD can be passed down genetically, it's the 3rd most inherited personality disorder and 40% of people diagnosed with BPD are suspected to have had the condition inherited from a parent, bet ya didn't know that smarty

Old 03-21-2016, 11:38 AM

oh and also, I have BPD, and have a clinical psychiatrist. Thank you very much.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Personality Disorders such as Schizoid, Antisocial, Borderline, etc., are they caused by abnormal brain wiring, or is a result of environment?

For example Schizoids have blunted emotions. They either don't feel anything or they bottle up their feelings so well its like they don't have them. I can see how a lack of emotions seems like it would be due to some structural difference of the brain. The same could be said of Antisocials/psychopaths.

Borderlines however are overly emotional with extreme emotional reactions.

I can see how either of these could be adaptatations to a traumatic childhood/environment, or could be due to brain wiring (like Autism).

I'm not sure what the current research says about this. Hoping someone may be able to tell me in a nutshell.

Thank you in advance
I don't think "schizoid" is a Personality Disorder, it's a mental illness. There's a lot of debate in the mental health community over whether schizophrenia is biological in origin, or the result of early trauma. Currently, the pendulum is swinging toward it being the result of trauma and the early family environment.

As to some of the rest: anti-social, borderline, narcissistic, I think it's largely a result of "nurture" rather than "nature". You can take a couple of siblings, one raised with the biological parents, the other raised with a relative or other caregiver, and the one raised in the dysfunctional family of origin will develop a personality disorder similar to the parents, the other will have a more well-adjusted profile, if raised by healthy, happy surrogate parents. One of the posters above points out that bi-polar is different, which makes sense. But narcissism and some of the others in my observation are learned behaviors from the family environment, others can be the result of parental abuse or dysfunction.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrongun View Post
Actually BPD can be passed down genetically, it's the 3rd most inherited personality disorder and 40% of people diagnosed with BPD are suspected to have had the condition inherited from a parent
A person cannot develop a personality disorder without both the genetic load and environmental triggers. This physician's description accurately depicts the causes of BPD: http://www.borderlinepersonalitydiso...ohn-gunderson/

Quote:
bet ya didn't know that smarty
Um, right.

Last edited by CA4Now; 03-21-2016 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: link

Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think "schizoid" is a Personality Disorder, it's a mental illness.
H/she possibly means Schizotypal Personality Disorder, still in the DSM-V.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:06 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Genetic predisposition and also the environment.

Usually peopole with mental illness comes from a dysfunctional family environment
: Divorces, lack of a father figure, controlling mother or father, abuse history and the list goes on.

But also there is the genetic factor. Thing with mental issues is they are so subtle, often the person doesn´t even know they are this way, much less why.
Not always, it might be more likely in someone with a personality disorder but there are also mental illnesses that are all brain chemistry, with no signs of a dysfunctional family.

Quote:
However, the personality disorder itself is determined by genetics. Don't forget that the person will not develop a personality disorder unless h/she has experienced fairly severe trauma by the age of 6 or 7.
I don't there is a true cutoff, personality disorders come on like a perfect storm. It's never just one thing, that's what makes them challenging to treat.

Quote:
A person cannot develop a personality disorder without both the genetic load and environmental triggers. This physician's description accurately depicts the causes of BPD: Notes from Professionals | John G. Gunderson, MD
Great link. Dr Gunderson is truly a pioneer in the world of BPD. He works with Mclean Psychiatric Hospital in Massachusetts and is the founder of the Gunderson Residence, which is an intensive residential treatment program for women with BPD. I've heard great things about its results.

Unfortunately it doesn't accept insurance. It's also a minimum 60 day stay at the cost of $1,350 per day.

That's one of the most frustrating thing about mental illness, the insurance companies just don't care and don't take it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health