Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm thinking that it's both environment and brain wiring. Different individuals have different results from growing up in the same environment.

I agree - my sibling and I both grew up in a dysfunctional family. I have chronic depression (dysthymia) but she has rarely had a depressed day in her life and we are both middle aged now. There is a history of depression on both sides so maybe I was the lucky one. Add to that becoming a widow and then being diagnosed with cancer eight months later just added to the fun. :-(

I had been doing pretty good lately, got off my anti-depressants six months ago but now my youngest has moved out (he's 28) so my finances are going to take a hit plus I won't be seeing my grandchild very often. Most people can snap out of these things quicker than a person who deals with depression regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:34 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think conversely, there are people who suffer from mental illness who had none of those experiences and who, actually, were born with both social, educational, and financial advantages. It's an interesting issue.
Personality disorders aren't the same category as mental illness (in this context). I've heard PD are "made" but mental illness is "born". (of course there can be comorbidity)

I'm not trained to have an opinion btw. I posted because in my family mental illness is genetic and regardless of the advantages, good parenting, even the high intelligence of the parties involved - the mental illness manifested and destroyed anyway.

I don't know any cluster Bs in my family though, but one might be suspect. He's a dick but it wasn't due to his loving and spoiled upbringing as far as we can tell, and he isn't like his siblings at all.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrongun View Post

Actually BPD can be passed down genetically, it's the 3rd most inherited personality disorder and 40% of people diagnosed with BPD are suspected to have had the condition inherited from a parent, bet ya didn't know that smarty
I was involved with a NPD/BPD man whose father was BPD (diagnosed, I assumed he was "worse" than that). The consensus from their POV, the bf was disordered based on being raised by the disordered. His mother left him and raised his brother away from his father. His brother is awesome and doesn't suffer the same. Really loving to his brother who took the abuse so he could be sheltered from it.

This is anecdotal only of course. It just worked for me logically. I never read it could be genetic but some traits maybe? *shrug* just yapping, not proclaiming any "facts"

Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree - my sibling and I both grew up in a dysfunctional family. I have chronic depression (dysthymia) but she has rarely had a depressed day in her life and we are both middle aged now. There is a history of depression on both sides so maybe I was the lucky one. Add to that becoming a widow and then being diagnosed with cancer eight months later just added to the fun. :-(

I had been doing pretty good lately, got off my anti-depressants six months ago but now my youngest has moved out (he's 28) so my finances are going to take a hit plus I won't be seeing my grandchild very often. Most people can snap out of these things quicker than a person who deals with depression regularly.

Can I ask why, if you have chronic depression did you go off medications?

I agree about nurture, and siblings is a great example of how everyone turns out different.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:57 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
Personality disorders aren't the same category as mental illness (in this context). I've heard PD are "made" but mental illness is "born".
If the disorder is in the DSM (=Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it's a mental disorder.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
There is a history of depression on both sides so maybe I was the lucky one. Add to that becoming a widow and then being diagnosed with cancer eight months later just added to the fun. :-(
Yes. Just one sibling may have blue eyes and another brown, the genetic load for all traits varies within one family. As does the environment, since no two people have the same experiences or are treated exactly the same within one family. Nor, as you pointed out, do siblings have the same later lifetime experiences.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times
Schizophrenia has a lot to do with genetically driven. I know one who has a brother on a mental institution, with both schizo and BD 1. The person is schizo and bipolar 2.

Others not so much. In reality personality disorders are mental illnesses as well. BPD is a personality disorder but it is also a mental illness, because your personality starts with the mind, same thing as BD, mental illness but it is classified as a "mood disorder".

I think both factors are relevant, depending on the problem, one more than the other.

Last edited by skywalker2014; 03-25-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 02:48 PM

I think too disorders (such as Borderline PD) are classified differently because meds don't help, unlike a "brain illness" like bipolar.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If the disorder is in the DSM (=Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), it's a mental disorder.

Yes, I'm saying mental illness vs mental disorder. Is that what you said here?

And of course it is the DSM. Homosexuality used to be in the DSM.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I think too disorders (such as Borderline PD) are classified differently because meds don't help
Personality disorders are classified differently because they are long standing character traits and ways of coping; enduring patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving that are relatively stable over time and are often resistant to change. Most people with personality disorders don't seek therapy; they don't think that anything is wrong with them. Often those who seek therapy are people who live with or work with a personality disordered individual.

Some people with Borderline Personality Disorder do use medication to treat symptoms like anxiety, impulsivity and depression.
Treating BPD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health