Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 07:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,336,875 times

Advertisements

Well I'm on here about 3 hours later than usual. I took the Seroquel around 10 p.m. last night, (50 mg.) fell asleep around 10:30, woke up around my usual 4:00 and slept fitfully until a little while ago. Had all kinds of weird nightmares from 4:00 on. I actually got out of the bed at 7:00 to let my dog out, then went back into bed. I still feel groggy even though it's been almost 12 hours since I took the Seroquel. I'm wondering if I was supposed to take it with the Valium. The nurse said not to take the Lamictal, she didn't say to not take the Valium.

Yesterday I was looking forward to going to the gym today but now I just feel tired, groggy and hopeless. I just want to crawl into the bed and stay there all day. Will probably do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,588,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well I'm on here about 3 hours later than usual. I took the Seroquel around 10 p.m. last night, (50 mg.) fell asleep around 10:30, woke up around my usual 4:00 and slept fitfully until a little while ago. Had all kinds of weird nightmares from 4:00 on. I actually got out of the bed at 7:00 to let my dog out, then went back into bed. I still feel groggy even though it's been almost 12 hours since I took the Seroquel. I'm wondering if I was supposed to take it with the Valium. The nurse said not to take the Lamictal, she didn't say to not take the Valium.

Yesterday I was looking forward to going to the gym today but now I just feel tired, groggy and hopeless. I just want to crawl into the bed and stay there all day. Will probably do just that.
It takes some getting used to. If you don't get used to it, your doc might say to cut it back. You will want to check if you're supposed to take the valium or not. It seems she doesn't want you to start the Lamictal until your sleep is straightened out on a different routine than the benzo. I like that she wants to do one change at a time. I never understand multiple changes because there is no way to know which is doing what.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,885,527 times
Quote:

I have not nightmares but vivid odd dreams on Seroquel.
It has barely begun to accumulate in your system...

Keep taking your meds!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:18 PM

Well I slept from noon till 4 p.m. I thought Seroquel was a sleeping pill, but apparently it is a mood stabilizer also. Anyway one of the warnings that I just read said it can cause higher blood sugar (diabetes) in people who have or who are at risk for diabetes or who have a history of diabetes. I am on Metformin because I was on the verge of becoming diabetic. I have diabetes on both sides of my family and my father died from diabetes complications. The doctor has my health history and all the meds I was taking yet she prescribed Seroquel for me. This is why I don't trust doctors; they don't listen or pay attention before they start prescribing medications for you.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well I slept from noon till 4 p.m. I thought Seroquel was a sleeping pill, but apparently it is a mood stabilizer also. Anyway one of the warnings that I just read said it can cause higher blood sugar (diabetes) in people who have or who are at risk for diabetes or who have a history of diabetes. I am on Metformin because I was on the verge of becoming diabetic. I have diabetes on both sides of my family and my father died from diabetes complications. The doctor has my health history and all the meds I was taking yet she prescribed Seroquel for me. This is why I don't trust doctors; they don't listen or pay attention before they start prescribing medications for you.
It doesn't seem that it's meant for long term use for you. It's not going to give you diabetes short term.

It's a drug that was developed for schizophrenia, and then bipolar mania, and then (as these meds tend to do) was studied for help with unipolar depression. It is also used off label as a sleep aid. Your doc seems to be using it to get you off the benzos. This is a worthy endeavor, imo.

I took some sort of anti-psychotic off label to regulate my sleep patterns w/o unisom and it worked. The daytime sleepiness is going to take some time for your body to adjust to. It will either stop making you sleep too much or she will lower the dose.

If you never follow through with any trials, you are never going to get anywhere. I am paranoid about drugs too, this is not one I am paranoid about at all.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It doesn't seem that it's meant for long term use for you. It's not going to give you diabetes short term.

It's a drug that was developed for schizophrenia, and then bipolar mania, and then (as these meds tend to do) was studied for help with unipolar depression. It is also used off label as a sleep aid. Your doc seems to be using it to get you off the benzos. This is a worthy endeavor, imo.

I took some sort of anti-psychotic off label to regulate my sleep patterns w/o unisom and it worked. The daytime sleepiness is going to take some time for your body to adjust to. It will either stop making you sleep too much or she will lower the dose.

If you never follow through with any trials, you are never going to get anywhere. I am paranoid about drugs too, this is not one I am paranoid about at all.

Agree!!

Seroquel is used for me as a mood stabilizer, for depression as well as sleep aid.

If you're concerned ask your MD about this and your family hx of diabetes...then if ok, KEEP TAKING IT if you want to help yourself.

If nothing changes, then nothing changes.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 AM

I didn't stop feeling groggy on the Seroquel until about 8 p.m.; that's 22 hours after I took it. I didn't do anything yesterday except have a light breakfast and sleep most of the day. My eyes were super dry and my mouth was also so dry that I could barely swallow. I guess that is another side effect? I didn't read the list they give you with the medication Monday night because I knew I would be afraid to take it so I just swallowed it without my usual theatrics. I only read the part that said "Who should not take this drug" yesterday and that's when I saw the part about the diabetes.

All I know is I can't wait for my body to adjust to it. I have a part time job that requires me to be sharp. I can't afford to take time off financially. I also don't want to risk diabetes at all. I finally got my A1C down to 5.8 with my last blood test and that's taken almost 2 years, losing 25 pounds, giving up sweets & most carbs and exercising. My long term goal is to get off the Metformin and eventually maybe even one or both of the high blood pressure meds. Since I don't have a thyroid I will always have to be on that medication.

Anyway yesterday I called my pharmacist. Who knows better about drugs than them? She said 2 mg. of Lorazepam is equal to around 20 mg. of Valium. The shrink gave me a script for 10 mg. No wonder it wasn't doing much for me. She also told me the best way to get off of Lorazepam is the tapering off method. Years ago I was able to wean myself down to 2 mg. from the 3 mg. with no problem. I've tried going lower over the years and could never get below the 2 mg., even when I took 1.75 mg. I would toss & turn all night. Well I tried it again last night; just took the 1.75 mg. (it's not easy cutting those small pills into 4 pieces) and surprise surprise I actually slept straight through from around 11:00 to 6:50! It did take me longer to fall to sleep than usual which was about 20 minutes rather than my usual 5 but I did it. It's possible I still had some of the Seroquel in my system but I did it!

So that's how to plan to wean myself. For some people it can take up to 6 months. Although I have been taking the Lorazepam for 16 years, I only took it at bedtime. I rarely ever felt anxious during the day despite the fact that Lorazepam is short acting. I know I have the Valium and Seroquel if I need it once in a while. The pharmacist said the Seroquel does come in one smaller dose than I was given. I'm not sure why the psychiatrist assistant didn't give me that one especially since I told her to give me the lowest dose. The pill doesn't look like it can be cut in half either.

So right now I'm concentrating on getting off the Lorazepam. Once that is done I will deal with the depression which will probably get better once I'm off the Lorazepam. If not, then I will try the Lamictal again. I think the Lorazepam is part of the reason I feel numb to things inside. It gets rid of anxiety but it seems to also remove joy & wonder from your life. I'm not saying anti-anxiety drugs don't have their place but patients need to be told about how addictive benzos are and should not be put on them long term. There are other meds for depression with anxiety. My late husband took Luvox long term and it worked well for him.

So there's my novel for this morning. At least I feel mostly normal today and I won't be so groggy I can barely walk. Hopefully tonight will be as successful as last night. Can't wait to get to the gym.

How is everybody else doing? I feel like we have only been talking about my problems the last few weeks. Jen, Great Blue and the rest of you guys - how are you doing?

* Edited for fix spelling (because I'm anal that way).

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 09-19-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I didn't stop feeling groggy on the Seroquel until about 8 p.m.; that's 22 hours after I took it. I didn't do anything yesterday except have a light breakfast and sleep most of the day. My eyes were super dry and my mouth was also so dry that I could barely swallow. I guess that is another side effect? I didn't read the list they give you with the medication Monday night because I knew I would be afraid to take it so I just swallowed it without my usual theatrics. I only read the part that said "Who should not take this drug" yesterday and that's when I saw the part about the diabetes.

All I know is I can't wait for my body to adjust to it. I have a part time job that requires me to be sharp. I can't afford to take time off financially. I also don't want to risk diabetes at all. I finally got my A1C down to 5.8 with my last blood test and that's taken almost 2 years, losing 25 pounds, giving up sweets & most carbs and exercising. My long term goal is to get off the Metformin and eventually maybe even one or both of the high blood pressure meds. Since I don't have a thyroid I will always have to be on that medication.

Anyway yesterday I called my pharmacist. Who knows better about drugs than them? She said 2 mg. of Lorazepam is equal to around 20 mg. of Valium. The shrink gave me a script for 10 mg. No wonder it wasn't doing much for me. She also told me the best way to get off of Lorazepam is the tapering off method. Years ago I was able to wean myself down to 2 mg. from the 3 mg. with no problem. I've tried going lower over the years and could never get below the 2 mg., even when I took 1.75 mg. I would toss & turn all night. Well I tried it again last night; just took the 1.75 mg. (it's not easy cutting those small pills into 4 pieces) and surprise surprise I actually slept straight through from around 11:00 to 6:50! It did take me longer to fall to sleep than usual which was about 20 minutes rather than my usual 5 but I did it. It's possible I still had some of the Seroquel in my system but I did it!

So that's how to plan to wean myself. For some people it can take up to 6 months. Although I have been taking the Lorazepam for 16 years, I only took it at bedtime. I rarely ever felt anxious during the day despite the fact that Lorazepam is short acting. I know I have the Valium and Seroquel if I need it once in a while. The pharmacist said the Seroquel does come in one smaller dose than I was given. I'm not sure why the psychiatrist assistant didn't give me that one especially since I told her to give me the lowest dose. The pill doesn't look like it can be cut in half either.

So right now I'm concentrating on getting off the Lorazepam. Once that is done I will deal with the depression which will probably get better once I'm off the Lorazepam. If not, then I will try the Lamictal again. I think the Lorazepam is part of the reason I feel numb to things inside. It gets rid of anxiety but it seems to also remove joy & wonder from your life. I'm not saying anti-anxiety drugs don't have their place but patients need to be told about how addictive benzos are and should not be put on them long term. There are other meds for depression with anxiety. My late husband took Luvox long term and it worked well for him.

So there's my novel for this morning. At least I feel mostly normal today and I won't be so groggy I can barely walk. Hopefully tonight will be as successful as last night. Can't wait to get to the gym.

How is everybody else doing? I feel like we have only been talking about my problems the last few weeks. Jen, Great Blue and the rest of you guys - how are you doing?

* Edited for fix spelling (because I'm anal that way).

So while weaning, are you or are you not taking Seroquel?

I'm good...my cat, who was ill, now is much better...they are thinking pancreatitis.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-19-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM

If it's not extended release it can be cut in half.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:17 PM

My son, who is 6'4" and 175 pounds was prescribed 25 mg of Seroquel. He was shocked I was prescribed 50 mg. because he said one of his pills knocks him out for about 12 hours so he has to take it early enough in the evening to be okay in the morning to go to work. I'm 5'1" and weigh 136 lbs so it seems I got a bigger dose for some reason. For those on Seroquel how many mgs. are you taking? I'm not taking the Seroquel right now. I may try it if I can cut it in half and on a day when I don't mind staying in bed all day.....

GBH - pancreatitis is nothing to mess with, that's what I was in the hospital for 11 days with last fall. Is the kitty on medicine?

Jen - it is an odd shaped pill, small, round and kind of tall. I have a pill cutter and I guess I could try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health