Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 08:57 PM

659 posts, read 898,885 times

Advertisements

I just started reading from the first page so I'll comment more later. I've scanned through and I think I've been prescribed every drug mentioned.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 12:17 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Here are some helps:

* EFT (see Brad Yates, YouTube) - you can do EFT on any issue and you will feel relief
* 4/7/8 breathing - Inhale for 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8 (very effective for sleep)
* edibles (if legal in your state)
* Homeopathy - find a good therapist online - amazing results are possible
* Vitamins: B, C, D, Zinc, etc. - research those good for depression
* Make a list of fun stuff and start doing stuff on the list
* Dogs. Dogs are anti-depressants
* Massage
* Healthy, organic diet
* Hydrate - drink lots of filtered water
* Exercise - walk every day, if you can
* Volunteer - do good for others, no matter how small (smile at people, help people)
That is excellent advice! If someone were to write down everything on that list and attempt them all, and at least stick with half of them, your depression would either be cut in half, or disappear completely.

Speaking strictly for myself, when I was depressed and a doctor prescribed Lexapro, for the year and a half I was on it, I was more depressed than ever. Like an idiot I never thought the medication could be making me feel worse, I attributed it to my environment, and the things that caused me to be depressed. Once I finally realized Lexapro was not helping, I stopped using it, and it felt like a fog lifted. I've never taken another prescription for depression since then.

What worked wonders for years was running, I did it for the mental benefits, it seriously lifted my mood, for an entire day after a run. I ran at least every other day. An injury in 2011 put an end to running, and I notice it. I've not found anything to replace that, but a combination of things can help. Your list is a great start.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
I struggled with this also in the past. I tried so many things and what works for me is:

- a very clean diet, very very low carbs, no sugar, no processed food, no alcohol, no coffee, no gluten. The most important for me is very low carbs. It's key for my mental health. I read about it extensively. There is new data about it.
- working out at least 3 times a week. I like lifting weights, doing Yoga and Pilates and a form of Callanetics. I tried QiGong and walking in nature. I do that some times also but most of the time I do Pilates/Yoga and squats.
- no screens first thing in the morning and before I go to sleep. For about one hour each. No internet, no phone, no tv, nothing. I knit, play with my cat, do the dishes, read etc.
- using positive affirmations and meditation. Daily, twice a day sometimes for meditation. In the morning and the afternoon, for about 15-25 min per session. In silence.
- aromatherapy, lavender, mint, perfumes etc. I smell herbs and lotions and use perfumes every day. My husband creates perfumes as a hobby and I test them all the time. it sounds silly but the smell helps my brain to relax.
- having and growing a garden on the balcony. It's a flower and herb garden, small but it relaxes me. I'm an introvert, artist that creates daily and prefer silence and quiet time. I need alone time and the Covid thing made everyone work from home. I need to spend alone time in my garden on the balcony to recover and stay in silence.
- no excitants like coffee, alcohol, sodas with caffeine, drugs or other things.
- supplements daily, Magnesium and fish oil. Also Kali Phos. It's a Ayurvedic salt for sleep. Natural. I use it daily, 4 times a day 4-5 pills. They are very small.
- not spending time with/around negative people. I'm super empathic and like a sponge for vibrations. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I have a very open and friendly nature and many people/friends and relatives take advantage of it. I'm a good listener. They use me as their personal psychotherapist in many instances. It might be nice for them but it's not for me. They feel great after talking to me but I have to come home and recover for hours and hours. So ... limited time with negative people is very important.

Take care!

Old 11-12-2021, 09:21 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,371,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I struggled with this also in the past. I tried so many things and what works for me is:

- a very clean diet, very very low carbs, no sugar, no processed food, no alcohol, no coffee, no gluten. The most important for me is very low carbs. It's key for my mental health. I read about it extensively. There is new data about it.
- working out at least 3 times a week. I like lifting weights, doing Yoga and Pilates and a form of Callanetics. I tried QiGong and walking in nature. I do that some times also but most of the time I do Pilates/Yoga and squats.
- no screens first thing in the morning and before I go to sleep. For about one hour each. No internet, no phone, no tv, nothing. I knit, play with my cat, do the dishes, read etc.
- using positive affirmations and meditation. Daily, twice a day sometimes for meditation. In the morning and the afternoon, for about 15-25 min per session. In silence.
- aromatherapy, lavender, mint, perfumes etc. I smell herbs and lotions and use perfumes every day. My husband creates perfumes as a hobby and I test them all the time. it sounds silly but the smell helps my brain to relax.
- having and growing a garden on the balcony. It's a flower and herb garden, small but it relaxes me. I'm an introvert, artist that creates daily and prefer silence and quiet time. I need alone time and the Covid thing made everyone work from home. I need to spend alone time in my garden on the balcony to recover and stay in silence.
- no excitants like coffee, alcohol, sodas with caffeine, drugs or other things.
- supplements daily, Magnesium and fish oil. Also Kali Phos. It's a Ayurvedic salt for sleep. Natural. I use it daily, 4 times a day 4-5 pills. They are very small.
- not spending time with/around negative people. I'm super empathic and like a sponge for vibrations. I know it sounds weird but it's true. I have a very open and friendly nature and many people/friends and relatives take advantage of it. I'm a good listener. They use me as their personal psychotherapist in many instances. It might be nice for them but it's not for me. They feel great after talking to me but I have to come home and recover for hours and hours. So ... limited time with negative people is very important.

Take care!

I do not do ALL of these things, but I think this is a great post!

Old 11-12-2021, 06:30 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times
To those of you who have, did cutting out caffeine make a noticeable difference to your mental health?

I have extreme social anxiety (take gabapentin for it) and I don't think my coffee drinking helps it at all.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:26 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Yes, definitely. It makes me jumpy now when I drink it. And I can't sleep at night. That's why I do not drink it. Rarely.

Sometimes I would drink decaf but only in the morning and it's a latte. I call it that. I make the decaf coffee, let it to cool and then put ice in it, plus cacao, plus vanilla extract, blend all and then add some whipped cream on top and some cinnamon.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:41 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
seratonin is what gives us an upbeat feeling,ever notice after exercise,we feel great /
hypothyroid,lack of sunshine (D),anemia,nagging spouse,inlaw,stock market crash,not enough money.been treated badly and unfairly,too much rain and no sunshine,long list.loneliness.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:43 PM

depression can be contagious,stay away from depressed,negative constant complainers

Old 11-12-2021, 07:45 PM

They feel great after talking to me but I have to come home and recover for hours and hours. So ... limited time with negative people is very important.

Take care!
-----------------
see those are vampires,suck up your good spirt and dump theirs on you.

Old 11-12-2021, 08:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That is excellent advice! If someone were to write down everything on that list and attempt them all, and at least stick with half of them, your depression would either be cut in half, or disappear completely.

Speaking strictly for myself, when I was depressed and a doctor prescribed Lexapro, for the year and a half I was on it, I was more depressed than ever. Like an idiot I never thought the medication could be making me feel worse, I attributed it to my environment, and the things that caused me to be depressed. Once I finally realized Lexapro was not helping, I stopped using it, and it felt like a fog lifted. I've never taken another prescription for depression since then.

What worked wonders for years was running, I did it for the mental benefits, it seriously lifted my mood, for an entire day after a run. I ran at least every other day. An injury in 2011 put an end to running, and I notice it. I've not found anything to replace that, but a combination of things can help. Your list is a great start.
Thank you. I'm glad you find it useful!
Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health