Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 04:25 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,457,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Two mornings ago, the minute I woke up I knew it was going to be of "those" days. Felt depressed and hopeless. However, it was a rare, beautiful middle of May morning here in SW Florida so I decided to have my coffee outside on the back patio while keeping an eye out for one of my dogs, who is very tiny so a hawk doesn't take her.

The humidity was low and the temp was about 70 degrees with a nice cooling breeze. I sat there listening to the wind blowing through the trees and the birds singing. Without even realizing it at first my mood lifted. Now, I have suffered from dysthymia (chronic depression) most of my life so this was unexpected to me. I've been doing it every morning since. However, I know once the humidity arrives I probably won't want to sit out there.

For those of you who live somewhere with decent weather (and who have the time in the morning) try it and let me know if it helps you also.

Be well, everyone and know you are not alone.
I just saw this. I live in the PNW and live for the days that it's sunny. When I first moved up here, I was practically manic during the long summer days, and winter started slamming me after about 3 years here.

A few months ago, I started to be crippled by anxiety, to the point that I don't even want to go outside on beautiful days. The sun always saved me. Now it doesn't matter.

Ooof, I have hit the wall. The past year has been hard, but it has been hard for everyone. My survival skills & resiliency are depleted.

The depression sucks but I slog through it. This anxiety, though...unbearable. I am only comfortable in the middle of the night, like now.

I really don't know how to get past this. I do appreciate knowing I am not alone in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 08:46 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,123,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
OMG I am just now seeing this. Gabapentin will totally mess with your head, i took it for nerve pain and it works for that but it made me spacy and forgetful. I almost lost my job. Felt better immediately after I stopped taking it.

No joke, this is a dangerous medication. Find something better for anxiety! That's what prozac is for!

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a694007.html
It's the only thing that seems to get me through the period each night I work around people.

I don't know what to do without it.

And I'm a man and I don't like the sexual side effects of meds like Prozac and SSRIs.

The thing is, the one thing I keep going back to that has been constant since roughly 2015 when I think I started to feel physically weak is that is around the time I started taking Gabapentin.

I really do think it might be making me sick, but I don't know. I would love to get off it for a month and see if I feel like my soul is coming back, but i have to be around people for my work so I don't see how I can do that?

I am going to try to really lower the dose to the least possible, and strategically place it at the right time so I get the most benefit. I don't know what else to do.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:38 AM

15,225 posts, read 10,405,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I just saw this. I live in the PNW and live for the days that it's sunny. When I first moved up here, I was practically manic during the long summer days, and winter started slamming me after about 3 years here.

A few months ago, I started to be crippled by anxiety, to the point that I don't even want to go outside on beautiful days. The sun always saved me. Now it doesn't matter.

Ooof, I have hit the wall. The past year has been hard, but it has been hard for everyone. My survival skills & resiliency are depleted.

The depression sucks but I slog through it. This anxiety, though...unbearable. I am only comfortable in the middle of the night, like now.

I really don't know how to get past this. I do appreciate knowing I am not alone in this.
Do you take anything for the anxiety?

Old 05-22-2021, 03:02 PM

No. I really don't want to go that direction. I feel like I would get trapped & never get out.

Marijuana is legal in this state. But it sure isn't the weed of my youth. It only increased my anxiety plus made me paranoid. No thanks.

Has anything helped any posters here? This level of anxiety is unbearable.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:44 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,786,631 times
Quote:
No. I really don't want to go that direction. I feel like I would get trapped & never get out.

Marijuana is legal in this state. But it sure isn't the weed of my youth. It only increased my anxiety plus made me paranoid. No thanks.

Ativan (lorazepam) helps me. It is a benzo.

Old 05-23-2021, 10:04 AM

15,225 posts, read 10,405,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Same for me but it can be highly addictive depending on whether you take it daily or just when you have an anxiety/panic attack.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 638,685 times
Quote:

I feel the same way. There is always magnesium for high anxiety. There is actually a magnesium powder called Calm, you mix it with water or juice.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,579,341 times
dont force yourself to do chores you hate or you feel irrelevant?
Animals are smarter than we are.after filling their stomach,they climb up a tree and start grooming itself,and then take a nap,tomorrow is another day.
They dont worry about their 401K,their dental appointment,or wearing the same outfit for more than a day or missing a call probably a robo call for a cruise to nowhere.
yes,play jigsaw,stream movies ,start at the ceiling,watch the birds outdoor are all better than balancing the checkbook,paying bills or make worthless small talk with someone you run into.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. Ironically, although the state I live in has legal marijuana, there is also a huge push against benzodiazepine & opioid prescribing because of all the drug addicts here & the chaos they caused. So, my chance of getting a script for Ativan is probably equal to winning the lottery jackpot.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
I feel the same way. There is always magnesium for high anxiety. There is actually a magnesium powder called Calm, you mix it with water or juice.
I'm interested. Has it helped you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health