Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2022, 11:34 AM

591 posts, read 323,259 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
I’m convinced wifi is bad for you, when I turn off the router and avoid being online I feel semi normal. Prefer ethernet but my imac stopped working ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
WiFi doesn't bother most people but I am convinced that EM sensitivity is a "thing" for a small percentage of people.

In my neighborhood where the houses are about 10 feet apart I can often "see" over a dozen hotspots though. If you get relief from just shutting off your own router you are probably not as sensitive as some people I've spoken with.

You might be able to use wired rather than wireless even if you laptop lacks an ethernet port. Google for "USB to Ethernet adapter". I know they exist for Macs, I would be astounded if you can't find them for Windows. In your case it might be $29.95 or so well spent.
Thank you mordant. My laptop does have ethernet so I can hook it up, but has other issues so it is ok for short term use. Maybe I can do the cable for my other devices? Hm. I heard about that cable but thought it would be more complicated.

Somebody I know scoffs at turning off the router makes any difference. Some guy has a site with suggestions and I vaguely recall trying the easy ones, like shutting off the router, etc.

There are towers everywhere. It’s not like I feel 100 percent. Somehow I think we are all worn down by emf pollution but don't notice.

The younger generations don't know the difference.

I wonder about autoimmune illness and emf radiation. I don’t take meds but if I had health conditions, I’d probably try to control my living conditions more, but I have too short an attention span to have done so by now. Another thing on my to do list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That all sounds like me (except for tv which is usually on while I’m online…ugh). That’s pretty drastic, turning off the router! Druggy haze is a perfect way to put it. I’m ADD too and used to read obsessively but don’t have the patience for the story to unfold anymore.
Yeah ha, you might actually like being free of the Net for a whole day. I tend to read and eat my meals, my excuse I’m multitasking. One of the great pleasures reading and eating, used to read a book though and eat, nimble on some prose, a bite of food. Now it’s weird stuff online.

I really do enjoy reading but seem unable to much. All my books are on the other coast and kindle type things seem wrong. I do have a few books here but not really feeling it, probably have to look online.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:28 AM

316 posts, read 304,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I spent a lot (too much) of today online. First here. Then my Newsfeed (which leads to more and more stories) Then here again. I felt pretty good this morning, got enough sleep etc. Now I feel like I’m in a fog, even a state of inertia. I find it hard to rejoin the physical world in a way after I’ve spent hours on my phone or computer. Part of it is a lot of the stories on my news feed left me feeling angry and depressed, but I also think there’s a temporary physical effect from spending a lot of time online. Almost like a hangover. Can anyone relate?
Yes, I can certainly relate. I've gotten into the habit of avoiding social media for at least one day a week, sometimes two. At first it was difficult, because I kept wondering what I was missing out on, but it gradually got easier.

I think our bodies weren't really meant to be sitting idle for endless hours and I often notice feeling sluggish when I've done so. The motivation to do anything seems to just fade away.

Lately, I find myself becoming annoyed and sometimes angry with the political rants of "friends" online who can't seem to stop at just one post. Some have a threatening vein to them; in essence, telling people who don't believe in the same ideology as they do 100%, then they should "unfriend" the poster. It takes up too much mental space in my head: do I simply unfriend? do I post a rebuttal? do I stay silent and just ignore?

Old 05-31-2022, 10:39 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Yes, I can certainly relate. I've gotten into the habit of avoiding social media for at least one day a week, sometimes two. At first it was difficult, because I kept wondering what I was missing out on, but it gradually got easier.

I think our bodies weren't really meant to be sitting idle for endless hours and I often notice feeling sluggish when I've done so. The motivation to do anything seems to just fade away.

Lately, I find myself becoming annoyed and sometimes angry with the political rants of "friends" online who can't seem to stop at just one post. Some have a threatening vein to them; in essence, telling people who don't believe in the same ideology as they do 100%, then they should "unfriend" the poster. It takes up too much mental space in my head: do I simply unfriend? do I post a rebuttal? do I stay silent and just ignore?
I think the unfriending over every little thing is silly, too. I am already dreading 2024 because hate and division are going to be everywhere on social media! I stay away from it, I am very rarely on FB. Even here Politics is the one forum I stay far away from.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Definitely. Social media can be toxic. I don't spend a whole lot of time on the computer anymore. I got baby rabbits in the garden I'd rather be out there.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:22 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
Yeah ha, you might actually like being free of the Net for a whole day. I tend to read and eat my meals, my excuse I’m multitasking. One of the great pleasures reading and eating, used to read a book though and eat, nimble on some prose, a bite of food. Now it’s weird stuff online.

I really do enjoy reading but seem unable to much. All my books are on the other coast and kindle type things seem wrong. I do have a few books here but not really feeling it, probably have to look online.
Interesting about the reading falling away. I don't experience that. In fact, I have two Kindle books open on my laptop right now, and another on the Kindle itself. I love the big type and bright screens on both for my older eyes. So I toggle between here, You-Tube and my books, maybe some music in the background.

I love You-Tube for the Nature documentaries I watch while on my exercise bike/elliptical. I've been all over the world! That is so mind-expanding. I really treasure the documentaries. We both enjoy the cooking shows too and learned a lot from them. Don't have any other social media.

If I could find some other hobbies, though, I know I would not be online as much. I know, because that's how it "used to be", lol.

Old 05-31-2022, 12:57 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post

I unfollowed a number of friends who took to FB for their amazingly toxic posts. They aren't like that in person so I haven't deleted them completely (yet). I mean, how many tasteless political cartoons can someone post in a day?

Old 05-31-2022, 01:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
I never posted anything political, nor do I argue with anything political, but I actually got unfriended by a few people for simply not liking or commenting on THEIR political rants...

"Silence is violence" and all that.

Old 05-31-2022, 02:26 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
I have FB but use it rarely. No pictures with me there, just some jokes with cats and dogs. I don't follow anyone, no politics, nothing.

I had a former coworker "friend" there and we used to write/talk sometimes, some years ago. She was married but I didn't know her husband. At one point, I realized that in fact...I was writing/communicating to her husband, he pretended to be her, was connected on her profile. He was a moron, I never met him in my life. What an idiot. He unfriended me fast when I confronted him. She had no clue about all this. I never told her anything. He died suddenly and then...I could not tell her.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Interesting about the reading falling away. I don't experience that. In fact, I have two Kindle books open on my laptop right now, and another on the Kindle itself. I love the big type and bright screens on both for my older eyes. So I toggle between here, You-Tube and my books, maybe some music in the background.

I love You-Tube for the Nature documentaries I watch while on my exercise bike/elliptical. I've been all over the world! That is so mind-expanding. I really treasure the documentaries. We both enjoy the cooking shows too and learned a lot from them. Don't have any other social media.

If I could find some other hobbies, though, I know I would not be online as much. I know, because that's how it "used to be", lol.
Yeah, I hear you. Online provides some definite portals into things you cannot get anywhere else. I appreciate it certainly but some things are lacking for me spending too much time online, yet I do it.

I am just kind of built differently. I know people older than me that love the internet, wish it had been available earlier. I long more for a direct experience, which seems to be elusive. I don't enjoy screens and being wired to do things like read, maybe I’m just low tech. I’d rather be in a painting studio than seeing it online, or in the darkroom than viewing it on a tutorial. Experiences now are increasingly online with greater ease and more of an effort in person, and I understand it, but it leaves me lethargic.

Online too it’s hard to limit since our lives become intertwined. Some people might be able to come online and limit the time. Maybe my connection is too slow. I considered getting high speed but maybe it’s more radiation, I live in a tiny studio, not sure it would lower my time online or increase it.

It’s like living in the burbs vs a city that has good public transit and you walk everywhere. One you need a car and live in a bubble of self protection and detachment. The other seems more human an experience and normal seeing other humans, observing life unfolding as one has throughout the ages.

The internet too is like carbs for me. I don’t buy bread or snacks because I used to eat more than I intended. Some can eat a slice, serving and be ok. I just know sweets cake etc just is there to tempt and distract me from healthier fare and fill me up with empty calories. Sometimes at the end-of the day, it feels like that. I don’t feel that way from reading something challenging. With reading you engage more actively. Seems we are rewiring our brains, with lowered attention spans, skimming, distracted, interact with others in a more detached way, etc. and it seems hard to break away from it. I don't know if it’s an addiction or just the ease of it leads to compulsion.

Last edited by Ghobi; 06-01-2022 at 06:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health