Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
Seems we are rewiring our brains, with lowered attention spans, skimming, distracted, interact with others in a more detached way, etc.
I agree and find that very scary. Purportedly, the designers of these devices KNEW how addictive they are and designed them expressly to BE addictive; I read they many won't let their own children use them. Hopefully just to make a profit, and I hope not for any more nefarious reason such as to dumb us all down.

And make us less human, which they undoubtedly have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 06:57 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
For children and teens is a desaster. They don't read anymore, have less empathy, less imagination, higher anxiety, social anxiety, more depression, self-harm, higher rates of suicide, year afer year. I read a book about it in 2014, "The Big Disconnect", by a psychotherapist.

During Corona, the suicide rate has increased dramatically, especially in girls. I've read about it, I'm interested in the subject/psychology. CDC refuses to post the data on their website, there is no information about suicide in the whole population for the last two years. It incresed for sure but we just don't know the exact numbers. Yet. Election year.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:30 AM

316 posts, read 304,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I unfollowed a number of friends who took to FB for their amazingly toxic posts. They aren't like that in person so I haven't deleted them completely (yet). I mean, how many tasteless political cartoons can someone post in a day?
Yes! I don't understand how their personality is so different from what I experienced in-person vs the hatred they are spewing online. I find myself doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out who the "real" version could be.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:34 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Yes! I don't understand how their personality is so different from what I experienced in-person vs the hatred they are spewing online. I find myself doing mental gymnastics trying to figure out who the "real" version could be.
I have a teacher friend who has done that! They often comment on public news posts and some of their comments are just downright mean and bizarre (like a certain type of people should just die). They teach little kids for gods sake. (and actually that one I'm going to unfriend because it's just so bad). I've known them about 15 years, worked with them, really enjoyed their company until they started doing this a few years ago.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:20 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
I go in phases with being online too much. When I lived on a ranch I was working so hard outside that I wasn't online a lot. Last year was terrible because it never stopped raining and I was awaiting a hip replacement.

I've grown almost completely disgusted with Facebook. The only reason I stay on there is for groups that have to do with nature, science, health issues... I find it very useful for things like that.

I have over 100 Facebook "friends" but only about 10 ever interact. I've found that it's a lot to do with the FB algorithm. People tell me they don't see my posts until weeks later, or ever. I have the same experience. The worst was when a friend's brother died and I didn't learn of it until literally months later. She is not on FB very often, so the algorithm ignored her, I guess. She was very upset that I didn't respond. Thanks Facebook.

I posted why I am pro choice (even though I am Catholic), because a childhood friend was trafficked in L.A. as a pre-teen and had two illegal abortions forced upon her by the perps. A girl died next to her on the way back after the 2nd one. She was never able to have children. Not one person responded in any way to that post. Not one.

Next day someone posted about their house build in Texas. 35+ responses. Another posted yet another of many photos of their grandchild. Again, 35+ responses. I was so angry and upset. My post was about a childhood friend that at least 30 of my FB friends knew as a child and they couldn't give one cr-p to even make a sad face on FB about her. All because my post was about pro-choice. And I rarely post political things. Even personalizing it didn't make a difference. I shouldn't blame those friends, most of them live in Orange County now with almost perfect lives. They live in a comfortable bubble. I guess I disturbed them. Maybe they didn't believe the story. Maybe they don't want to take a stand one way or the other (which granted, is their prerogative). But I'm still not over it.

Last week the local high school raffled off a machine gun. That's right: a machine gun. A "Smith & Wesson AP15-22 Sport." THREE DAYS after Uvalde, Texas. Not one person reacted or posted a comment about the post I made about it. There are a few other examples over the past 10-15 years.

If it weren't for Facebook interest groups it's be a complete waste of space, especially with all the filters and spammers/scammers nowadays. That's why I've cut way back on FB and am on C-D a lot more. Far more interesting and useful. As for being affected by being online too long, it's more about creaky limbs from sitting too long

Old 06-02-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I have a teacher friend who has done that! They often comment on public news posts and some of their comments are just downright mean and bizarre (like a certain type of people should just die). They teach little kids for gods sake. (and actually that one I'm going to unfriend because it's just so bad). I've known them about 15 years, worked with them, really enjoyed their company until they started doing this a few years ago.
My goodness, I can't imagine a teacher behaving that way! I do have a couple of teacher friends and their in-person self seems to match up to their online persona. I would think there would be some sort of liability issue/conflict of interest with the school district, but I guess not.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

Last week the local high school raffled off a machine gun. That's right: a machine gun. A "Smith & Wesson AP15-22 Sport." THREE DAYS after Uvalde, Texas. Not one person reacted or posted a comment about the post I made about it.

Wow, that just seems so wrong! At the very least, cold-hearted.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:30 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times
Quote:
...Not one person responded in any way to that post. Not one.
People don't know how to react to evil happened to you/others and they don't say anything, or just run and abandon you. It happens quite often.

It is what it is.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:23 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
I go in phases with being online too much. When I lived on a ranch I was working so hard outside that I wasn't online a lot. Last year was terrible because it never stopped raining and I was awaiting a hip replacement.

I've grown almost completely disgusted with Facebook. The only reason I stay on there is for groups that have to do with nature, science, health issues... I find it very useful for things like that.

I have over 100 Facebook "friends" but only about 10 ever interact. I've found that it's a lot to do with the FB algorithm. People tell me they don't see my posts until weeks later, or ever. I have the same experience. The worst was when a friend's brother died and I didn't learn of it until literally months later. She is not on FB very often, so the algorithm ignored her, I guess. She was very upset that I didn't respond. Thanks Facebook.

I posted why I am pro choice (even though I am Catholic), because a childhood friend was trafficked in L.A. as a pre-teen and had two illegal abortions forced upon her by the perps. A girl died next to her on the way back after the 2nd one. She was never able to have children. Not one person responded in any way to that post. Not one.

Next day someone posted about their house build in Texas. 35+ responses. Another posted yet another of many photos of their grandchild. Again, 35+ responses. I was so angry and upset. My post was about a childhood friend that at least 30 of my FB friends knew as a child and they couldn't give one cr-p to even make a sad face on FB about her. All because my post was about pro-choice. And I rarely post political things. Even personalizing it didn't make a difference. I shouldn't blame those friends, most of them live in Orange County now with almost perfect lives. They live in a comfortable bubble. I guess I disturbed them. Maybe they didn't believe the story. Maybe they don't want to take a stand one way or the other (which granted, is their prerogative). But I'm still not over it.

Last week the local high school raffled off a machine gun. That's right: a machine gun. A "Smith & Wesson AP15-22 Sport." THREE DAYS after Uvalde, Texas. Not one person reacted or posted a comment about the post I made about it. There are a few other examples over the past 10-15 years.

If it weren't for Facebook interest groups it's be a complete waste of space, especially with all the filters and spammers/scammers nowadays. That's why I've cut way back on FB and am on C-D a lot more. Far more interesting and useful. As for being affected by being online too long, it's more about creaky limbs from sitting too long
My daughter goes off and on FB, because of the politics and reasons ypu mention. My FB experience is quite pleasant. Most of my friends are from my writing program, poets and writers, and i know many of them who are all quite famous now. So our thoughts and opinions are mostly in sync as far as politics goes. My extended family friends, likewise. If there are differences it raises some interesting discussions. Yes a few post too many great travel pics, but i dont mind. It is the family gatherings that gets my envy. My two adult kids and my grands are plane trip away and i dont see them as often as i would like to. I see their live on facebook and instagram.

Old 06-02-2022, 07:31 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:

The algorithms are awful. It shows me very specific political posts (which do not always align with my views). I have just under 100 friends because I feel I can't keep up with many more, yet I have to go directly to their pages to read anything current, they just rarely show up in my feed even if I favorited them.

I do belong to a number of special interest groups and I'd say for the past 1-2 years they are what show up in my feed most often. I spent time recently unliking pages and groups and that gave me more friends for a little while but it didn't last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
My goodness, I can't imagine a teacher behaving that way! I do have a couple of teacher friends and their in-person self seems to match up to their online persona. I would think there would be some sort of liability issue/conflict of interest with the school district, but I guess not.
It's like they don't think they will be seen? Yet they are pubic posts so anyone can see them! They are all hot topics too: abortion, vaccines, elections. Just out of principle I wouldn't want my kids taught by someone so obviously biased. I'm surprised no one's complained, this has been going on for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health