Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 09:56 AM

11,090 posts, read 6,961,579 times

Advertisements

I put this thread under mental health because it affects my mental health.

Over the years I've had various relationships and housemates. Looking back, it's mostly men who are really grouchy in the morning. This really affects me because I am a morning person. I wake up energetic and happy, looking forward to the day. I've had 2 relationships (which includes 1 marriage) and 2 housemates. persons I am speaking of are all male. And, my parents and I were all larks, while my brother was a nigh owl who hated mornings (still does). They were/are grouchy and grumpy and you best not try to even talk to them until after noon. It's a huge downer and a waste of time.

I've only ever ended up in one relationship where the man was cheerful in the morning. Why start out the day so negatively? I usually keep quiet because I know better but what I'm thinking is "get over yourself."

I'm not a night person. I get sleepy really early, sometimes by 8pm. I'm not grouchy or crabby when I'm sleepy and/or it's time to go to bed. I just go. No sniping and crabbing.

It is what it is. I do wonder why it is that so many men are grouchy in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 12:58 PM

23,438 posts, read 19,071,586 times
Well, people are individuals and your sample size is quite small OP. I've shared work camp/bunkhouse situations with a number of men and have also had male housemates. Obviously we were around each other early in the mornings. Not all of them were grouches, in fact I'd say the majority were not. Many just weren't chatty in the am.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,617,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I put this thread under mental health because it affects my mental health.

Over the years I've had various relationships and housemates. Looking back, it's mostly men who are really grouchy in the morning. This really affects me because I am a morning person. I wake up energetic and happy, looking forward to the day. I've had 2 relationships (which includes 1 marriage) and 2 housemates. persons I am speaking of are all male. And, my parents and I were all larks, while my brother was a nigh owl who hated mornings (still does). They were/are grouchy and grumpy and you best not try to even talk to them until after noon. It's a huge downer and a waste of time.

I've only ever ended up in one relationship where the man was cheerful in the morning. Why start out the day so negatively? I usually keep quiet because I know better but what I'm thinking is "get over yourself."

I'm not a night person. I get sleepy really early, sometimes by 8pm. I'm not grouchy or crabby when I'm sleepy and/or it's time to go to bed. I just go. No sniping and crabbing.

It is what it is. I do wonder why it is that so many men are grouchy in the morning.
Yes!!! I've noticed this, too! Men are more prone to being grump in the morning. Why? I'm not grumpy in the morning, so I don't relate at all. I'm not grumpy at night, either. I get grumpy sometimes, but it's not related to the time of day at all.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:08 PM

I realize the sample size is quite small. I'm not trying to bash men, not at all. Just that I've noticed it. I've had a few female housemates and this did not occur.

Anyway, my question is asking for input as to why it seems men are grouchy in the morning. I have a few ideas.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:20 PM

868 posts, read 728,799 times
It's hormonal, I think. Larks and owls can't help but be what they are.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:25 PM

Yes, and perhaps circadian rhythms?

I found this:
What happens if your circadian rhythm is out of whack?
Changes in your sleep cycle may lead to cognitive and behavioral issues like diminished focus, vigilance, attention, motor skills, and memory. These symptoms can subsequently result in workplace errors, reduced efficiency, or even accidents—according to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,711,245 times
Some people are morning people while some people are night owls. I have not seen any gender differences in this. I’m actually a morning person, but I am not particularly chatty or enthusiastic immediately. I actually like going in to work early because it’s quiet and I can have some alone time to get work accomplished without distractions.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:24 AM

I don't think it's too much to ask that if someone is not in a good mood in the morning, they can at least refrain from snarking or generally being in a bad mood, thereby causing distress for the lark.

I'm the same as you. I like to get up early and start my day quietly and ease in to it. I am not available before 2pm at my new part time job because being retirement age I would find it very difficult to give up those precious hours.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:00 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,559,503 times
Morning people are a downer for me!

Old 06-08-2022, 12:39 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,102,231 times
Someone saying they’re “not a morning person” is just an a-hole. How can a person be considered mentally stable and “good” if they are obnoxious for the first 5hrs they’re awake each day, regardless of what is going on in their life?

Also, for some perspective OP, go to a gym at 5am and count how many men vs women…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health