Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 01:35 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Someone saying they’re “not a morning person” is just an a-hole. How can a person be considered mentally stable and “good” if they are obnoxious for the first 5hrs they’re awake each day, regardless of what is going on in their life?

Also, for some perspective OP, go to a gym at 5am and count how many men vs women…
Ok, for the 'larks' are these 'downers' grumpy when left alone?
I'm not a morning person, but I'm fine as long as you aren't in my face with excessive noise, over the top cheery greetings and chatter, and an insistence that your way of being is somehow superior to my way of being. Obnoxious can run both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 02:00 AM

133 posts, read 95,932 times
After hanging around on this planet for 9 decades now, and mixing with all sorts of people, all I can say is that emotional states such as chirpiness or grumpiness are temporary. I find that most people are in a neutral state most of the time when life is 'normal'.

I usually wake without an alarm about 5.30 AM or 6.00 AM, get dressed, get a cup of tea ready for my myself and have things ready for my wife to pour her own when she wakes up -- usually about an hour after me. I check my emails and maybe check this 'City Data' site.

Chirpiness of grumpiness don't come into the issue unless there's a problem or an issue to attend to that day, or at the other end of the spectrum, a special treat that day.

I know that some people have a lag time waking up after a deep sleep and this may be mistaken for grumpiness.

Do some people really wake up singing and whistling to greet each new 'normal' day?

Old 06-08-2022, 05:06 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,063,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm not a morning person, but I'm fine as long as you aren't in my face with excessive noise, over the top cheery greetings and chatter, and an insistence that your way of being is somehow superior to my way of being. Obnoxious can run both ways.
This, a million times. I am a morning person, but I cannot abide chatter and in my face cheerfulness —really any time, but certainly not in the morning.

When did “larks” decide that’s the superior approach? And what would your reaction be if an “owl” treated you at 11pm the way you treat them in the morning?

Can’t you just be happy and cheerful AND quiet?

Old 06-10-2022, 03:38 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
Notmy experience at all in regards to it being gender related. In fact my husband's (male) business partner is annoyingly peppy in their 7:30 am zoom calls.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:59 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Mornings are a downer. Good for you that you're a morning person. Lucky you. Not everyone is.

You say you go to bed when you're tired. How do you feel if someone keeps you up until 2 a.m., though? Non-morning people don't have a choice about getting up when they want like you have a choice about when you go to bed.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:57 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask that if someone is not in a good mood in the morning, they can at least refrain from snarking or generally being in a bad mood, thereby causing distress for the lark.

I'm the same as you. I like to get up early and start my day quietly and ease in to it. I am not available before 2pm at my new part time job because being retirement age I would find it very difficult to give up those precious hours.

I will echo the thoughts of a couple of other posters here. I consider myself to be a morning person in that I actually love to be up and moving very early. But I am NOT wanting to interact with other people. There is something about the sound of human voices talking that causes me feelings of irritation within the first couple of hours or so after I get up. I'm not talking "noon" here I mean like 6-8AM or so. I can easily make sure I have enough time to be functional in that respect before I need to be at work, but I would not be happy with housemates who wanted to have normal conversations that early.

I am not grumpy. I just want peace and quiet. Let me watch a sunrise with my coffee and no chatter and my mood will be glorious. Oddly, a favorite thing I like to do very early in the AM is housework. It is just the right kind of "no talk, just do" for me. I do the dishes every day around 6am while my coffee is brewing. I guess doing "auto pilot" through the tasks as a matter of basic routine, without thinking about it too much, short circuits my otherwise likely tendency to procrastinate or see it as a huge nuisance.

I dunno, I think this might be a compatibility problem that people should have honest conversations about if they want to share living space. But in order to do that, no one can approach it as, "I'm right and you're wrong" when it's just two different ways of people's brains working. I would not want to live with someone who would encounter me before 8am and need to be all chattery. I find it stressful.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Andropause?

https://www.healthline.com/health/me...-syndrome#tips

I couldn't agree more with this:

Quote:

Old 06-13-2022, 10:12 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,772,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

It is what it is. I do wonder why it is that so many men are grouchy in the morning.
Man here, never grouchy. I'm also an early riser.

My wife is definitely not a morning person. She used to be occasionally grouchy in the AM but has managed to overcome that flaw. Neither one of us is especially "chatty" at any time.

Last edited by Arktikos; 06-13-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-13-2022, 10:24 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad Arktikos that your wife realized she needed to alter her behavior somewhat.

I'm not chatty in the morning. I too want peace and quiet like some others here (Sonic and others). When I applied for jobs recently I put that I was not available before noon. I need that special quiet me time because for me, mornings are magical.

I love the early morning with birds singing, and the cool air, and things being peaceful and quiet. It's really a downer when you ask a question that needs to be asked and you get a sour response. I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to be courteous. It's not like I'm trying to have a conversation.

As for being kept up late by a night owl, my body literally crashes so good luck keeping me awake! But I don't snark at people trying to keep me awake. And I've only experienced that a few times.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:32 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
you have to wake them up the right way

I am also a morning person and I wake up happy.

I think that maybe a lot of women just sleep longer and then get up when they are "done" sleeping while men get up even though they are not mentally ready yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health