Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM

289 posts, read 568,009 times

Advertisements

[quote=butterfly57;30942324]

Wellbutrin XL Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

For more information here's a link to wikipedia and pretty much everything you need to know about wellbutrin (Bupropion), beware if you start reading the side effects part, it can be scary, but that's true of any pharmaceutical drug (and let's not forget there can be side effects even from herbal remedies for some people).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry, I've never learned how to quote selectively. I just feel the need to say that I was one of those people for whom Wellbutrin was a horror show. I had a seizure in my dentist's office ---three minutes earlier I was behind the wheel of a car---and when I got to the Er and was having the "seizure" discussion one of the elements was that you can't drive for six months. When I mentioned I had been taking taking Wellbutrin, the doctor said "Oh, well, that's it then. We won't report this to the Registry, just don't take anymore." Wellbutrin has had a checkered history, and been recalled twice, I think, seizures being one of the main reasons.

So yes, every drug can have side effects, but this one....if there's an alternative take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Welbutrin worked for me but after being on it for about a year it started to make me edgy and short tempered. I have started myself on SAM-E. I'll try and report back here in a few months to let everyone know if I think it works.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 34,742 times
I was on Welbutrin 150mg for 3 months. Welbutrin made me wired up and aggressive. I had trouble sleeping and couldn't relax. I switched over to Venlafaxine a few days ago and feel much better. I got the first good nights sleep in 3 months.
As far as waiting- Welbutrin has a short half-life. Its out of your system in a day or two. Definately try Venlafaxine and see how you do. I have taken just about every SSRI and they all make me lethargic. Venlafaxine doesn't have that effect on me.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM

291 posts, read 378,088 times
I take Effexxor & it works well for me. The only con is the horrible night sweats it causes me to have but they don't bother me enough to quit taking it.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:26 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,911 times
To OP, I think it is always a good idea to gain as much information about anything you are taking. That means factual research as well as personal experiences - BUT- and this is a big BUT - everyone's chemistry and circumstance is different. You can't base your choice of treatment by someone else's reaction to the drug. You must work closely with a doctor you feel is competent and who listens to you and your concerns.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Effexor seems to work well for me. I primarily take it for anxiety. There was a 5 year period where I wasn't on it because I decided to try to "tough it out", and I had panic attacks all the time. I cannot tell you how many times I had to pull over on the highway or into a parking lot because of these stupid panic attacks. I decided that was it, back on the Effexor. It doesn't help me with insomnia as some people have mentioned it does them, but at least I do not have panic attacks all the time anymore. Just once in a while.

One thing I noticed is that when my dosage was increased, is the unpleasant side effect of loose bowels. I've had the same thing happen back when I was on Lexapro and had a dosage increase. It could be the meds, or the meds in conjunction with something else. I've also noticed heart palpitations after the higher dosage (nothing terribly frequent, but enough to be noticeable). Again, not sure if it's wholly attributable to the drug, or something else.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:45 AM

245 posts, read 956,307 times
Default Off all anti-depressants

UPDATE: I weaned myself off my Wellbutrin and don't take anything now. I have not noticed any difference in how I feel off of it. It has been about one year since weaning off.

I realized that things happening in my life were causing my depression. I have started on a regimen of supplements, trying to wean off sugar and I have reduced a good bit of my RX meds.

I don't recommend this for everyone, it is just what worked for me.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly57 View Post
UPDATE: I weaned myself off my Wellbutrin and don't take anything now. I have not noticed any difference in how I feel off of it. It has been about one year since weaning off.

I realized that things happening in my life were causing my depression. I have started on a regimen of supplements, trying to wean off sugar and I have reduced a good bit of my RX meds.

I don't recommend this for everyone, it is just what worked for me.
I had triggers on every corner. I moved, and weaned myself off both meds. I feel like myself again and even sleep. I still cycle but they are very mild swings I've had all my life.

If you know your depression comes from a cause, and your meds zone it all out as if it never was, then trying life without them and dealing with the causes will often be enough. And if possible find a therapist to talk about it with someone. Or find a group to talk about your feelings. Bottle them up and you will never disarm them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health