Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times

Advertisements

All I can say, is if you end up working with a sociopath, if you can find another job, do so. If you are stuck, try to not let the negative energy take over your life, or dominate your thinking. The whole situation can really skew your thinking. I seriously was in therapy, and taking medication, just to keep going to work.

After you leave the sociopath, being in a normal work environment, with people who have petty fiefdom issues, is almost laughable. The good thing about surviving a sociopath at work, is that you also become a skilled fighter, because you had to develop the skills, after all, you learned from a master. It is like you have gone from combat, to a training camp.

I will never forget the sociopath I worked with. She was amazingly vicious, a liar, skilled at creating drama, and under mining my self esteem. She was always dropping these little negative innuendos...that were lies. And yet, she seemed like a normal person...it was crazy.

I will never forget, I went crazy one day at work, when my boss started in on me about stuff she said...I yelled at him, that she was a crazy sociopathic liar, and I was sick of him being her puppet. That was the day I went to the union. I took him to the table for being an ineffective supervisor and creating an unsafe work environment because of his lack of supervison. He knew I was done. He had just always let her have her way, and it was over.

He knew he would be in trouble, so he flipped it on her. I let him have a pass. She came to the meeting, butter would not melt in her mouth, she thought it was going to be her show...and she would be the star.

After the day, with HR, two supervisors, two union officials, an outside mediator, it was obvious that she was crazy, and all I wanted was out. She got a smack down. And she was very careful with me until I left.

So, at some point, do stand up for yourself. Make sure you have enough documentation, ie, examples of various outrageous situations, that the sociopath is buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM

167 posts, read 278,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I've worked with a few ppl who fall within the descriptions, there good at spotting your weaknesses and capitalize on them. Inspite of themselves their amazingly successful because they don't worry about things the way honest ppl with integrity do. Frankly, I don't mind working with them as long as they don't step on my toes, but lets just say, I've had some head to head run-ins.
So typical for companies to pick these socialpaths and Bi polar types in supervisory roles. God I am glad I am near retirement. I just hope I don't do something serious to these type of people. I don't have the patience anymore for them.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4himdude View Post
you know i now just yesterday got my 1st mark against me at work in dealing with what i believe is a sociopath. its a long story. i met him the day we both were in orientation in 2011. no kidding. so we got acquainted with each other and come to find out he was(is) and awesome drummer. i play guitar and had a drumset so there goes a thriving friendship.WRONG!!!!! so long story short he was in a relationship where the girl initially hated me because unbeknownst to me at the time .every time he would come over to play music for an evening or afternoon hed not go home for 3 sometimes 4 days. he didnt stay at my house to begin with. i caught n to what was happening to a small degree the first couple times his ladtfriend called looking for him. i tried to cover for him initially figuring he went out and tied one on. and she screaming in my ear made me all the more at ease doing so. well he went to a different job and we remained friends but now he started coming over out of the blue anytime day or night rain or shine needing me to let him stay on my couch for the day. at first i thought to myself it was a relationship in the midst of collapse between him and her . but it was worse. they were having a child and he was not calling in to work for these days on end he would disappear from his "normal" life and finally lost that job. well he came back to where i met him to find employment again. but this time i was seeing things that i felt i wasnt able to continue allowing him to do on my conscience. so i cut him off the couch and drumset in my household. so now that i wasnt allowing him to blame me for these things i realized he was doing his woman and i realized that somebody needed to face the music. well he didnt. exactly. he just recently was on one of his benders lets call em and i was at work . and b4 lunch i got a call from his lady asking if i would pick up a gallon of milk and some baby formula due to him ditching the kids and her with no caSH AND LOW ON FOOD. I DID. I PARKED BEHIND THEIR APT . ON THE ROAD I FOLLOW HOME FOR LUNCH SO I BNEVER WENT IN. OOOPS.SHHH . well he had just gotten this apt, and his job back where ive worked since i met him and this turns out to be the second time he did this in the 3 wks he was rehired and started working there again. no call no showed twice in 3 wks. and they fired him. lost the apt and she went to stay with relatives. taking the children.(she had 1 previous) therefore i start getting rude texts from him. rude voicemails and letters under my wipers on my windshield at work. apparently he begged for his job so he managed to not lose it for long but i had enough of his **** so i confronted him about his behavior toward me without laying a finger on him and it was at work while on break. we got suspended.he actually pushed me away because i was in his face. i mean eyeball to eyeball letting him know ive had enough and i didnt touch his old lady neither. but oh no he doesnt want to believe its his fault. a mngr watched from a good 50 yds away and failed to realize that i was holding a 16oz a&w creme soda in one hand while eating a jack link's beef stick with the other. so i got blamed for creating a conflict on company premesis during my shift. oh ya. it took 3 weeks and 3 statements of me saying the same thing as initially stated to find me worth a second level reprimand b4 allowing me to return. oh get this with all the punctuality problems hes had and all the no call no shows in three wks of his return being fired and begging to save his job then this happens where i proved he was harassing me and i only needed it to stop. still doesnt have 3 disciplinary actions against him??????? say what???? ya he still has his job. im like WTF? so we get to promote a nonhostile work environment. plus hes actually been over to my house recently pounding on my window.in the middle of the night which i ignored until he left. ive got to figure something out. this isnt going to work!
This is unreadable. Sorry.

Capitals at the beginning of sentences, please.
Skip a line after every few sentences, too.

Don't you read other posts, first, and see what they're doing????

Old 09-19-2013, 07:56 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,153 times
Many workplaces are so toxic and dysfunctional you need to be a heartless sociopath to keep yourself in a Job.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:18 PM

304 posts, read 397,104 times
dealing with Anti social personality disorders (Psychopaths- the new word for sociopath) and narcissists is like hell- if you have personal experience with these nut cases you will have a heads up idea on how to cope with them- they are nasty, negative, manipulative evil people.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
I thought I was friends with one. He ended up owing me $1300 and lying about me to my friends, and I never got the money back. It was a lesson learned.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
(Psychopaths- the new word for sociopath)...
Actually, its the other way around. "Psychopath" is by far the older word, and "sociopath" was coined as the replacement.

[Nitpicker set to "OFF"; returned to its cubbyhole...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health