Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
My recommendation upthread to consider a CPO Mercedes was based upon a couple of factors that are real with the CLA, no matter how quickly it sells.

First, it is a FWD vehicle. Mercedes has always done well with a RWD and 6 cylinder engine in the small/mid-size class (C and E). The 8-cylinders in the larger cars are good, but the AMG is really only for aficionados due to the added complexity and operating costs. The CLA is also a new introduction of a FWD vehicle, so not only is it a new model, it's a new type of vehicle for Mercedes-Benz. Could it be wonderful? Sure. Could it be a nightmare? Sure. We don't know real world answers, and have no basis upon which to draw a hypothesis as to its reliability.

Second, it's built to a price. What I mean by this is that the base model is not going to feel like a Mercedes, or be luxurious. It will have a good ride quality, but I even notice in the lower-tier C a departure from what would be expected as a Mercedes by many, since the rental car spec C's are usually C250 with the turbocharged engine. The C is a good vehicle, too, which is why I recommended looking at a recent model in a CPO coupe.

The E coupe that I recommended as an option for CPO is a real Mercedes, with leather, wood, four-place seating, etc. Nobody would know that it's not new, except your mother, and I think that 20k miles on the clock might not be as big a deal breaker when you compare it to the CLA. I find no comparison between the two, honestly, as the E350, even a couple of years old, would be a superior ownership experience as opposed to a newer CLA.

Since you plan to buy, not lease, where a rotten vehicle is not something with which you might be stuck with rapidly depreciating value, that's why I recommended looking elsewhere in the Mercedes family for the best value.

Since I last posted, I looked at the CLA and took one for a quick spin when I was at the dealership with one of our cars. For what it is, it's okay, but the variant I drove seemed to be overpriced as it was loaded with options, making the C a more attractive buy. I have a relative who was interested in it, too, since they live in an urban area and liked the thought of a smaller Benz. I would not recommend the CLA to them as a purchase, but would recommend the C. For your mother, though, since she wants the coupe, I thought that was more to the personal luxury coupe angle as opposed to merely a two-door; hence, the CPO E recommendation as it's truly a different vehicle.

Since your mother wants a new Mercedes for about $30k, I don't think anyone can really offer an option, as there aren't any others that meet that criteria from Mercedes-Benz. I wish you luck with it, and hope that the car lives up to expectations.
What about the A-class in Europe? Doesn't that use a similar platform to the CLA? Can't we use the A-class' numbers to predict CLA reliability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone have one of these or knows someone who has one?

My mom wants to get one by the end of the year. It's only $30K, so no bad. She didn't really want a 4-door, but for that price, it's nice for a Mercedes.

Any comments?
I think she should get what she wants. Why care what others think? I don't know anyone who owns one, but I know a few people who own more expensive models of the MB brand. They are incredibly well-off financially and simply prefer the brand. They have enough money to not worry about repair costs.

I prefer a Lexus myself. To each her/his own.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What about the A-class in Europe? Doesn't that use a similar platform to the CLA? Can't we use the A-class' numbers to predict CLA reliability?
The A-Class has had issues in terms of long-term reliability, and reported reliability has improved, but is nothing to the level of Mercedes' traditional RWD vehicles. The saving grace for the A-Class is that it is inexpensive; and, with the diesel engines, very economical in terms of operating costs; whereas the CLA is not particularly inexpensive, once optioned, especially in the size/class in which it competes. Mercedes has not had a FWD vehicle in the US previously, where the the operating environments and owner expectations do tend to differ from European cities that have more transit options.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think she should get what she wants. Why care what others think? I don't know anyone who owns one, but I know a few people who own more expensive models of the MB brand. They are incredibly well-off financially and simply prefer the brand. They have enough money to not worry about repair costs.

I prefer a Lexus myself. To each her/his own.
Yes, my mom had a Lexus already & she's the type who'd never get the same kind of car twice. There's too much other stuff out there.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:16 PM

157 posts, read 285,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
$30K will get you a fully loaded with every option Ford Fusion AWD Platinum Edition and IMO is a better Bang for the Buck car.
Can't disagree with that. For 30 grand I'd take the Ford over a budget Merc.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Well, some people do care about prestige. Again, in my mom's case, she wants to "go out with a bang" so to speak. She's in her 70s. This will probably be the last new car she ever drives, she's worked hard all her life, & she wants a really nice car that's known for class, prestige, etc. PLus, she's never had a Mercedes before.

I'm young & there's several makes of cars I'd just never get. If other people like them, that's great.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
There are two types of people. Those that want all of the options and would buy the loaded Ford over the Benz. And those that don't care about all of the options and would buy a Benz over the loaded Ford. Some people need all the gadgets. Some don't.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
I'm with mom, do it up, you only have today.

From an automotive standpoint, however, I would never buy a new model that has never been produced until it had been in it's third year of production. That's how long it takes to work out the bugs. Been in the industry thirty years BTW.

Personally, I will never buy a new car again. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:04 PM

170 posts, read 316,499 times
I would ask in a BENZ forum. Some people here don't like luxury goods. Some understand why it's good to buy a benz some don't. Just buy what makes you or your mom happy. Think about if you buy a Ford it's what make the other guy happy not you. The Ford also doesn't look like it's worth 30k. CLA looks way better

Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM

Default Update!!!

Well, my mom bought this car today in the color Northern Lights Violet Metallic, which looks almost black, but you can see that it's a purple color.

She so deserves it & is so excited naturally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart