Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I like both of these. I can't do it for a good few months at the earliest, but when I am ready, does anyone an opinion on either of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM

990 posts, read 2,555,938 times
I am a HUGE Roadster fan !!!!

That said, if this is to be a primary vehicle, it is not the most versatile choice.

The SLK's in particular have VERY limited storage space, and virtually NO ability to transport any items of size. (If it's bigger than a six pack, you're out of luck).

Therefor, versatility goes to the CLK. That said, SLK's are a "kick in the pants" to drive and have many smiles per gallon.

For a more mundane thought. 2001 on an SLK, is getting a bit long in the tooth. German cars in general, Mercedes Benz as a breed and sports cars in particular are VERY maintenance intensive (read as expensive). Seven to eight years is getting into an age where many expensive factors begin to appear. Things like timing belts, transmission maintenance, brakes, shocks etc.. On this class of vehicles these things get pricey rather quickly.

Just food for thought, I hope I helped.

Edit: forgot to add, of the two, I am most fond of the 350 engine. Very smooth and powerful with good response. generally a nice running powerplant. It will throw an occasional "puff" of smoke for some odd reason at random intervals, known only to itself. (not really a problem, but odd and totally random).

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
You did help, thank you. It would be a primary vehicle, though only for me and I don't do any shopping on my own. No biggie that it has no storage space. As long as I can throw a small over night bag in the front seat a couple times a month I'm good. I travel light.

Hadn't really thought of all the maintenance. Pretty crummy that something that expensive would have major expensive problems so soon. Poo!!

Ok, I'll think on it a bit. I've got time.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
I don't have any first-hand experience with the SLK, but I've owned a CLK. I enjoyed my CLK and would recommend one to someone looking for that type of car. It was relatively fun to drive, comfortable and easy to live with.

Banger brings up a very valid point about maintenance concerns. SLK's don't have the greatest reputation for reliability, and an '01 is likely to get into your wallet sooner rather than later. I'd definitely take an '06 CLK over an '01 SLK. In fact, I'd probably take an '06 CLK over an '06 SLK.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:41 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
I've owned two Benz vehicles, and the least I can say is RUN AWAY...especially on the 01.

I had an 01 S500. Times in the shop? 49 before it was bought back through the Lemon Law. It was replaced with a newer S430. Gorgeous car...in the shop almost 20 times. Tons of electrical problems, transmission leaks, steering problems. You name it, Mercedes-Benz had it. I thought it was just the S Class that was problematic until I joined a MB owners forum and was shocked by the complaints a good number of these owners have.

If you must buy one of these vehicles, make sure there is an extended warranty and DEMAND a VMI (vehicle maintenance info) report. Anything more than a few issues, you are going to be in store for a nightmare. These are truly terrible cars.

I would look at a SC Lexus before any German vehicle.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I'd only buy a new Mercedes. Go to the JD Power site for 'incidents per 100 new cars' and you'll see that they're going to require more than the average amount of time in the shop. Which is no big deal until you factor in the fact that Mercedes repairs/maintenance tend to be pricey. So I'd stick with something under warranty.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd only buy a new Mercedes.
Personally, I wouldn't touch a brand new MB. They depreciate so badly that a lightly used model will almost always save the buyer a significant amount of money.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The CLK350 (as opposed to the 320, mind you) is a better car by orders of magnitude. Much better chassis and much better engine. If your budget will allow you to step up to the 350 over a 230, then do it without looking back. You might consider splitting the difference and look at an SLK350. (NOTE: make sure it's a SLK350 with the new body style and not a SLK 320 with the old body style.) The SLK350 with a manual gearbox in particular is a killer little machine.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
My personal problems are that German cars are too expensive to maintain and generally unreliable when used, and depreciate too much when new. In either case, they cost a lot of money, but they are certainly nice to drive.

As long as the local MB dealer offers a loaner while your car is in the shop, I wouldn't be afraid of either, but I'd go with the SLK since its more fun to drive (imo) and will cost you less upfront. If you really need the extra room for hauling stuff on occasion, can you borrow a friend's car or SUV?

Old 11-04-2008, 01:52 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
You know, owning one of these high-dollar cars is possible. Maintaining it is a bear! Research the cost of normal maintenance. These type of cars have $40 wiper blades, $175 oil change (including $25 filter), $1000 tire change, high-test gasoline... This goes for any luxury car, actually. You gotta pay to play!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart