Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,674,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirl16 View Post
Hello well I was wondering what do you guys think my family looks racially and ethnically.My families from Mexico. So were mexicans but to my umderstanding Mexico is ethniclly diverse. So heres some pics of me and my family. C: Do we look like White Mexicans or something else. Thank you. Give me your honest opinion White, Mestizo, Afro, Indigneous, a little bit of each prodeminately something, etc.
Since you look very young, you should get a short lesson on the English word "race". The word meant

"group of people with common occupation" (c.1500),
"wines with characteristic flavor" (1520),
"generation" (1540s).
"tribe, nation, or people regarded as of common stock" is by 1560s.

As you should know in 1520 the Spanish El Cortez conquered Mexico, and the first mestizos were born in the early 1500's.

By the late 1700's the so called "color coded" concept of "races of man" was developed. Humanity was divided into the white, black, brown, red, and yellow races. By the 1800's the concept that these different races grew up on different continents with completely unique ancestors was born.

Modern science does not recognize the concept of "race". To say dark skinned pgymies and 7 foot Watusi's are part of a black race, and freckle faced Irishmen and Greeks are part of a "white race" is meaningless.

Given the large civilized population of Mexico before the conquest, and the fact that 90% of the indigenous population died off from disease, slavery, and overwork, the current genetic makeup of Mexico is one of the most diverse in the entire world. Only Hawaii is more diverse than Mexico.

The questions you are asking are scientifically meaningless. Your family has genetic roots in many different places. Even among closely related people you have wide variations in skin color and hair style. It may be of interest to pay to get a genetic test done among your parents and siblings. You probably have different percentages of your ancestries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM

836 posts, read 2,952,867 times
^^ good answer!

Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,487,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirl16 View Post
Lol interesting. Well imma be honest were not even Mexican I just wanted to see what people would say. I wanted to see if people would see "Mexicans" as just Mestizo's. When really my family is something very different. C;
Sorry for this little test. Am just really curious because always ask "Hey Alexa are you like Mexican or Latina?" Always! When am actually not Mexican!
So heres the truth my mom's Italian and my dad's Armenian, Spanish, and Greek. C;
Everyone looks tri-racial definitely not just Armenian, Spanish, Greek and Italian. Mum doesn't look solely Italian. I would more likely believe Mexican than the ancestries stated above.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,993,085 times
Guys, OP has been gone for over a year, lol. She hasn't come back. I know this is a race based topic, but let's all try to calm down now

Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,487,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Guys, OP has been gone for over a year, lol. She hasn't come back. I know this is a race based topic, but let's all try to calm down now
I didn't think anyone was irate or anything. Anyway she should be honest about her background because no race is better than another. People should be proud of all their ancestries. If I got a dna test I'd be quite pleased if something unusual showed up as I've only ancestry from one country.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,993,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I didn't think anyone was irate or anything. Anyway she should be honest about her background because no race is better than another. People should be proud of all their ancestries. If I got a dna test I'd be quite pleased if something unusual showed up as I've only ancestry from one country.
I meant calm down as in let's not get all excited at the thought of race. I know it's one of the Big Three discussion items (the other two being sex and religion) but, come on people

Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM

57 posts, read 182,267 times
They clearly look mestizo.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:50 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,085,050 times
Mestizos; and very clearly as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM

603 posts, read 1,636,643 times
Your family even though looks Mestizo they still can easily be Iberian also.

I dare to even say Greek.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,081,894 times
Guys, this girl has not been in these forums for over a year. I bet she now has a little boyfriend pal and has forgotten all about the thread while you guys keep going at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico