Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador04 View Post
So what is the actual legal structure of Americans owning in Mexico near the coast? What about a wealthy Mexican citizen?

One is in trust or both are in trust or????

How are trusts structured? Is there a power of attorney? Are there trustees, successors? Can the Mexican govt (any level) take it on a whim? What are other risks one should consider besides burglary and home-value fluctuations. Are there things like eminent domain?
Foreigners have to set up a trust, Mexican citizens do not. They are not terribly complicated and I doubt many run into trouble with them. Could the government take it on a whim? Not on a whim, but I am sure there could be some scenario where there could be a seizure or some serious restrictions put on them if a national law passed. None on the horizon but never say never. The biggest annoyance is the cost and time to set them up. And talk about how polished the whole process is, every real estate person and the people who do the trusts write off the whole cost as a minor annoyance and say "hey property taxes are so low, the few hundred dollars a year you spend are nothing in comparison". Total spin.

Eminent domain is a potential problem, but seems a bigger issue over time has been legal rulings over ejido lands. Seems these are becoming less of a problem, but plenty of houses have been lost over it with no restitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:37 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
BTW, the fideicomiso law stands as before. It failed to get support in the legislative branch.
On my last trip to Rosarito Beach to pay a visit to my older RE agents (now friends) they brought this issue up, that there was a possibility of this happening, clear ownership of land anywhere in Mexico, scrapping the limits.

Well, it's too easy to figure out who would be opposed to this, and who were lobbying against it!

Old 10-30-2015, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 938 times
I've been going to Cabo since the mid 80's and the very very best advice I can give you is RENT!!!!!. If you don't take my advice you will soon regret it. There are very very very few transactions involving money that go down as planned or as you think they might. Fact is, you real can't trust ANYONE in Mexico. If you disagree, someone should take away your check book and deem you fiscally irresponsible. Oh, by the way, even renting is risky. Remember don't trust and verify 10 times in 10 different ways. Pay little or nothing up front. It's them against you and your American dollars.

Last edited by BillSykes; 10-30-2015 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-07-2015, 04:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,274,892 times
I have never been to"Cabo"..... but I owned a home on Cozumel.. Not a time share not a condo a single family stand alone.. Are there issues? Yes there are .. as was said ....your bound to get "robbed" somewhere along the ways.. but it will be , as I have seen and lived .. from breaking and entering.. it will be when you get the proverbial " Gringo Price" for almost everything you buy.. Though I will admit many leave their brains at the border.. and YES there are a LOT of Con Games Going on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSykes View Post
I've been going to Cabo since the mid 80's and the very very best advice I can give you is RENT!!!!!. If you don't take my advice you will soon regret it. There are very very very few transactions involving money that go down as planned or as you think they might. Fact is, you real can't trust ANYONE in Mexico. If you disagree, someone should take away your check book and deem you fiscally irresponsible. Oh, by the way, even renting is risky. Remember don't trust and verify 10 times in 10 different ways. Pay little or nothing up front. It's them against you and your American dollars.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:53 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
I have New neighbors the last couple of months. Was talking to the landlord today (friend) and he was telling me that the tenants had a 2nd car and some furniture at the last nearby home they had rented. Well turns out all the furnishings and the car was Stolen and the home was EMPTY. Like I have said in the past that if everyone who stole in Mexico was prosecuted over 1/2 of the country would be behind bars. Saw things when living in Mexico City with my New Mexican wife. Everything is behind some gate or wall with many dogs or Security guards. Why would a store that sells toys etc for small little pre school kids need a Security guard at the door.........after all they are Not making that much money considering.

A Mexican/American neighbor was at the chain grocery mkt and his car was stolen and later recovered 6 months later by the Police while being used as a Taxi in TJ complete with decals and fake ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico