Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,535 times

Advertisements

Great information on this thread. I too am considering a move to Playa. My wife and l spent last year in Puerto Vallarta and loved it. We would like to check out the gulf side now. I work from home and only need a fast internet connection in the 2MBPS-4MBPS range for my VOIP phone to work. I assume I can get Telmex service in Playa like I did in PV, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Here are my questions, can we find a furnished villa to live in walking distance to 5th ave. for $1500-$2000/month range? Also, I am curious to know how much we would spend in electricity costs during the summer. My wife has allergies so we would need to have the A/C going most of the summer.

We plan on visiting this spring to determine whether we want to make the plunge next spring. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on where we can find a long term rental.

tedd101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,526 times
Hi Ted, i have lived in the Playa (riviera maya) area for nearly 6 years now and i love it. YOu will have no troulble getting high speed through tel mex. If you are looking to invest in a small place over here you should check out [url=http://www.cheapmexicorealestate.com]Mexico real estate - Puerto Morelos Mexico homes[/url]

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,400 times
Hi everybody,

I have been living in San Cristóbal de las Casas in Mexico and now I am offered a job in Playa del Carmen. I will be earning about 1400 dollars a month. Can anyone who lives there or has lived there, give me an idea of general costs per month? The company where I will be working for told me that I would be able to find an apartment for 150 up to 300 dollars a month. What I am finding on the internet shows much higher prices.

And things like food, a drink at a bar etc. It would help me out a lot. And maybe any tips in finding an apartment? San Cristóbal is so small and cheap, I'm afraid that Playa del Carmen is going to be too touristic for me. Are there that many tourists year round? Or only in some months a year?

Thank you so much for your response,

Saludos, Moniek

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
1,400 dollars a month are like $18,000 pesos, its like a low middle class salary. It's ok for 1 person, for 1 family insufficient.

Any way, you would live in mediocrity and more in a city like Playa...

Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,523 times
Mazatlan is totally across Mexico from Playa, on the West Coast. The people you say were successful and living well....all I can say is, unless you saw their bank accounts and where they lived, you really don't know. Most of the people in that industry are full of it; the more full of it, I guess the more successful. If you count lying to people for a living as success, then they are successes. I don't.
Time share, hahahha! I was in one resort in Playacar delivering a couple to the hostess when the FBI came in very discreetly and removed a very SUCCESSFUL manager. Seems they'd been seeking this fellow for ten years. Think about that. Ten years. That's an awfully long statute of limitations, don't you think? What crime he was finally busted for I never found out. But whatever it was, ten years' time had not exhausted their right to seek and arrest. There are a lot of people down there from the States, shady types.
The murderer-husband of Laci Peterson, Scott,was headed for the border and had he not been caught, likely would have ended up in a time share sales room. You don't need an FM3 work visa to work inside the hotel, since the immigration people normally don't invade the inner sanctum of the resorts when looking for illegals. So the hotel doesn't waste time and money to procure papers for these in-house time share guys and women.
Immigration cops look on the streets, into the restaurants and shops, etc., for anyone to bust who might be illegal from another country. I had an FM3 and still felt very uncomfortable.
Hate to say it, but the time share crowd was a load of drunks and druggies and if you met some of them in a bar (very likely) they will tell you tall tales of their great success. I knew a guy in Vallarta who was from the States who lived well and had a nice car but he was one of the very few. Even most of the Mexicans in time share are not living so well.
But, do whatever it is you have to do, go there and you'll see how different it is living there when compared to the rumors and myths posted by lug-nuts on the internet. Be my guest. The only way I'd go back to that place is under the auspices of an American company and with pre-arranged housing and a contract!
Some people have to learn the hard way, and Playa attracts a sucker a minute. I was one of them.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
PlayaDreamer
did you move? if so how is it? I want to relocate to Playa bcuz i fell in love with it when i went on vacation last year in March.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,818 times
Hi,
Great information here. I would just like to say that 1,400 US a month, for a single individual is ok and it is in no way a middle low salary range. Then again if you have kids and need private schools this salary will definitely not help.

You should be able to get a one or two bedroom appartment with AC and swimming pool for 8000 pesos a month, if you want it furnished add 1000 pesos more.

One of the most expensive things here is the rent. Indeed jobs selling timeshare can pay very well... if you know how to sell. Quite often they don't pay salary and you only get comissions.

Going from San Cristobal to Playa will be a big change and, yes, Playa is way more expensive than San Cristobal.

Good luck to everyone who wants to move here. It is indeed paradise, even if you live here full time. It is indeed expensive and it is indeed worth it!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
hello people, I'm looking to move to the yucatan area, playa just crossed my mind. All I see are the people posting want to live an extravagant lifestyle expecting it to be a long vacation. Me, im just looking for a life and experience out of the states . I like to be outdoors in nature doing extremist activities( scuba/rock climbing,mountain biking,exploring unknown areas etc etc) so most of my interest dont require any dinero.I'm more of the traveler type and probably wont be chained down to one position for too long before I get bored and want to go on a new adventure.I will be getting my dive masters certification. I see that you need a permit for jobs, does that include include tourist/under the table jobs? Only need a job to eat and drink and sleep. Hell, i fed my self through spearfishing and grew my own food in Socal.I'm very independent for I don't need other people to survive. I can make my own fun.What are the people like? Crime rate high? Drug cartels a problem like they are at the border? I don't want to move to some scum ridden place like I see here in Las Vegas( Gangs,Drug Addicts,Whores, the whole shibang) I lived in Socal most of my life and the latin people there are very friendly besides the gangster trash, but every races has its garbage. I don't really plan on being inside the apartment that much, just need a place to sleep and Heat doesnt bother me since I live in Las Vegas,Nv and I wont be using A/C ( A/C is for *******). Also, what are the gas prices in México, as I travel by motorcycle and that is how I would get there and get around. Any places have free Wi-fi since I would like to keep contact with some people. Would anybody suggest any other place In the Yucatan to relocate to?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,634 times
Hey everybody!! This conversation woke my attention. I am living in Playa del Carmen right now. Just a lovely place, right! Paradise for sure. I am looking for work and i dont know how to proceed. I just want a regular job in a resturante or something like it, so i can practice my spanish and afford to live here. Maybe you could give me some advice to make it easyer for me? I dont even know were to begin.

Saludos

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I was under the impression foreign nationals couldn't "just get a job" in Mexico. My understanding is that you have to do what someone else can't, such as teach English or run your own company. We don't want Mexicans taking jobs from Americans and Mexicans don't want Americans taking jobs from them. How do you afford to live there now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico