Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:43 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,362,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Something as complex cannot be attributed to a simple issue. Certainly Mexico pays a high price for corruption.

Argentina was one of the 10 wealthiest countries in the world a hundred years ago. Yet it is almost the same as Mexico today.
CIA estimate PPP per capita GDP estimate (wealthiest Latin American countries in 2016)
Chile $24,000 2016 est.
Panama $22,800 2016 est.
Uruguay $21,600 2016 est.
Argentina $20,200 2016 est.
Mexico $18,900 2016 est.

And note as well that Chile, which consigned Salvador Allende and his Marxist trash to the dung-heap over forty years ago (albeit, admittedly and regrettably, by less-moral means) now leads the list.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,657 times
My opinion why Mexico is not a first world country: Rampant and widespread corruption both institutionally and in the free society, drug cartel power and money, the usual rich getting richer schemes and biased backroom deals and legislation by crooked bankers, investors and politicians (hey, sounds like the US!), and the outright oppression, discrimination and racism toward the indigenous, dark-skinned Mexicans by the whiter, ruling monied class. Let's not forget that Mexico was raped, pillaged, plundered and taken over by the Spanish. The collective consciousness of fear and oppression of this rape and terror still exists in Mexico today. The continued brainwashing and dogma taught by the Catholic church also plays a role. Mexico is still 85% Catholic.

Indigenous Mexicans number in the millions (about 25 million) and many live in extreme poverty due to the aforementioned blights on their country. They are the majority of the total population. Unlike the indigenous peoples of the U.S. (today numbering about 5 million), Mexican indígenas weren't nearly decimated or forced to live on reservations by their invaders. The extreme income inequality and discrimination against tens of millions of people does not a first world country make. Come to think of it, nowhere invaded and taken over by Spain and the Catholics has ever really prospered, has it? It's true in this hemisphere and in the east (e.g. Philippines).

Mexico is considered an "emerging" market with a growing middle class. I've spent a lot of time there (non-tourist, I lived there) and I honestly don't see much emerging but more corruption, nepotism/cronyism, slimebag politicians, worsening environmental pollution from all the big factories (heck, even China is moving factories to Mexico!), and crooked police who prefer to extort money from citizens instead of doing their job.

I hope the indigenous majority will rise up one day and demand better living conditions and a fair shake. They've collectively lived in fear of the powers-that-be (and the Church) for so dang long (hundreds of years), some days I wonder if it will ever happen. A planned and calculated culture of fear, intimidation, retaliation and extortion (and death--we all know the gruesome stories) by the powers-that-be is a gigantic hurdle.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,494,991 times
Mexico should be like canada

Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 PM

146 posts, read 151,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Mexico should be like canada

What would Mexico should be like Canada?? Mexico economy is wealthier than Canada Mexico has 2.2 trillion USD Canada 1.5 USD trillion but hey I give you credit Canada does have more wealth among its citizens 40-50,000 per capita only because has 35 million people Mexico 120 million still not about for a per capita of 18,000 and 2.2 trillion dollars.

Mexico has natural ancient beauty such us beaches prehispanic pyramids warm weather more exotic tropical fruits tourism (35 million yearly) food and Oil.

[Mod cut]

Last edited by elnina; 04-23-2017 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
My opinion why Mexico is not a first world country: Rampant and widespread corruption both institutionally and in the free society, drug cartel power and money, the usual rich getting richer schemes and biased backroom deals and legislation by crooked bankers, investors and politicians (hey, sounds like the US!), and the outright oppression, discrimination and racism toward the indigenous, dark-skinned Mexicans by the whiter, ruling monied class. Let's not forget that Mexico was raped, pillaged, plundered and taken over by the Spanish. The collective consciousness of fear and oppression of this rape and terror still exists in Mexico today. The continued brainwashing and dogma taught by the Catholic church also plays a role. Mexico is still 85% Catholic.

Indigenous Mexicans number in the millions (about 25 million) and many live in extreme poverty due to the aforementioned blights on their country. They are the majority of the total population. Unlike the indigenous peoples of the U.S. (today numbering about 5 million), Mexican indígenas weren't nearly decimated or forced to live on reservations by their invaders. The extreme income inequality and discrimination against tens of millions of people does not a first world country make. Come to think of it, nowhere invaded and taken over by Spain and the Catholics has ever really prospered, has it? It's true in this hemisphere and in the east (e.g. Philippines).

Mexico is considered an "emerging" market with a growing middle class. I've spent a lot of time there (non-tourist, I lived there) and I honestly don't see much emerging but more corruption, nepotism/cronyism, slimebag politicians, worsening environmental pollution from all the big factories (heck, even China is moving factories to Mexico!), and crooked police who prefer to extort money from citizens instead of doing their job.

I hope the indigenous majority will rise up one day and demand better living conditions and a fair shake. They've collectively lived in fear of the powers-that-be (and the Church) for so dang long (hundreds of years), some days I wonder if it will ever happen. A planned and calculated culture of fear, intimidation, retaliation and extortion (and death--we all know the gruesome stories) by the powers-that-be is a gigantic hurdle.
You sound like a typical Trump supports you don't know anything about Mexico you only spreading misconceptions from your biased personal beliefs.

All countries are corrupted there's never going to be a free corruption country the U.S. also suffers from corruption but from smaller scale than Mexico even Hillary is very corrupted Second Mexico poverty is reducing dramatically a lot and the middle class population is becoming dominant since more Mexicans are having less kids also Mexico has a very young large population that's another bonus and religious has nothing to do with that.

Also what does RACE?? Has to do with Mexico???? Mexico isn't the U.S. we don't go like the U.S. with stupid labels to divide it's citizens from others African American white Americans Asian American etc under Mexico national law we all label as equeal citizens racism and descrimination its part of American culture.

I'm Mexican of full European ancestry Spanish and French and I'm not label Euro-Mexican I'm treated equally.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMex View Post
You sound like a typical Trump supports you don't know anything about Mexico you only spreading misconceptions from your biased personal beliefs.

All countries are corrupted there's never going to be a free corruption country the U.S. also suffers from corruption but from smaller scale than Mexico even Hillary is very corrupted Second Mexico poverty is reducing dramatically a lot and the middle class population is becoming dominant since more Mexicans are having less kids also Mexico has a very young large population that's another bonus and religious has nothing to do with that.

Also what does RACE?? Has to do with Mexico???? Mexico isn't the U.S. we don't go like the U.S. with stupid labels to divide it's citizens from others African American white Americans Asian American etc under Mexico national law we all label as equeal citizens racism and descrimination its part of American culture.

I'm Mexican of full European ancestry Spanish and French and I'm not label Euro-Mexican I'm treated equally.

I am the furthest one gets from being a Trump supporter. Wow! I think you're probably offended that I called out the Spanish (and Catholics) for messing up Mexico and screwing the indigenous peoples. I know quite a bit about Mexico--studied Mexican history extensively and lived and worked there for a few years. I witnessed widespread racism against indigenous Mexicans by the the monied class (which you cannot argue is whiter/more European). My fiance is an indigenous (Otomi) Mexican and I have lived among the Otomi for a few years. Don't tell me that indigenous peoples of Mexico have equal opportunities. That is a laugh and a half. Yes, you are also Mexican by virtue of being born there (as I am American by birth, but ancestors are from elsewhere). I regret you are upset at my post, but I am calling it as I see it.

I suggest you read this:
In Mexico, racism hides in plain view - CNN.com

Last edited by TotallyTam; 04-22-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:32 PM

This excerpt from the article noted above should sum it up for our discussion, LeoMex:

"And yet, even with all the progress and openness in Mexico over the past few years, there is still one subject that no one talks about, one that is still off-limits: race.

The enduring taboo subject is skin color, whether an individual's complexion betrays an allegiance to the Spanish who conquered the Aztec empire in 1521 or the Aztecs who were conquered. It's no exaggeration to say that, in this country and especially in this city, the best, highest-paying, most important jobs often seem to go to those who, in addition to having the best education and the strongest connections, have the lightest skin."

Last edited by TotallyTam; 04-22-2017 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:57 PM

That's not true at all Mexico isn't India. Mexico population is around 60 million mestizos (European-Indian) 25 million indians 10-15 million European Mexicans

I don't really believe you been to Mexico probably border towns you been to Mexico city Guadalajara etc?? I just came back from the mall and saw a indigenous looking Mexican buying expensive watch brand (Emporio Armani)[Mod cut: trolling]

Again Mexico with a economy of 11th wealthiest of the world and a per capita of 18,000 nobody will died of starvation.

Mexico isn't india or Africa nice try.

Last edited by elnina; 04-23-2017 at 12:59 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMex View Post
That's not true at all Mexico isn't India. Mexico population is around 60 million mestizos (European-Indian) 25 million indians 10-15 million European Mexicans

I don't really believe you been to Mexico probably border towns you been to Mexico city Guadalajara etc?? I just came back from the mall and saw a indigenous looking Mexican buying expensive watch brand (Emporio Armani) indigenous Mexicans are poor because They're lazy and don't want to work.

Again Mexico with a economy of 11th wealthiest of the world and a per capita of 18,000 nobody will died of starvation.

Mexico isn't india or Africa nice try.

I didn't mention India or Africa--why are you changing the subject? We are talking about Mexico, understand? And I don't care if you don't believe that I have lived there. I have most certainly lived and worked in Mexico City. It is my home away from home, in fact. I have traveled extensively in central and south and Mexico and on both coasts. My travels and stays in Mexico cover 25+ years, including working and living in Mexico City for extended periods and living with the Otomi outside of the capitol. I have traveled and spent time in all Mexican states except for those in the Yucatan peninsula. I have probably seen more of Mexico than you!

The sentence in bold above proves and rests my case. You are a racist, plain and simple. Stop spreading the lies that indigenous Mexicans are lazy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I didn't mention India or Africa--why are you changing the subject? We are talking about Mexico, understand? And I don't care if you don't believe that I have lived there. I have most certainly lived and worked in Mexico City. It is my home away from home, in fact. I have traveled extensively in central and south and Mexico and on both coasts. My travels and stays in Mexico cover 25+ years, including working and living in Mexico City for extended periods and living with the Otomi outside of the capitol. I have traveled and spent time in all Mexican states except for those in the Yucatan peninsula. I have probably seen more of Mexico than you!

The sentence in bold above proves and rests my case. You are a racist, plain and simple. Stop spreading the lies that indigenous Mexicans are lazy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

When I said India I was referring to their population they all indigenous to the land and dark skinned they also want Caucasian features and light skin racism in Mexico isn't like the U.S. we don't suffer the type of colonial mentality like they do in India because Mexico has a big mix population of Europeans with Indigenous they are over 60 million of them in Mexico they're the largest ethnic groups and they range from looks and 10-15 million European Mexicans mostly of Spanish Portuguese Basque and French decent they're located in big cities and Northern states and some West -central

Second when I said Africa was referring to their poorness. Mexico being the 11th largest economy and GDP of 18,000 nobody dies of starvation believe me indigenous people are poor because they don't want to work to gain a better income it's there personal choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico