Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 02:28 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I agree, I mean I don't have any problem speaking in english, or portuguese, but if someone comes and talks to me in spanish I'll be flattered
I do the same. As a matter of fact, if a guy wants to approach me, this is the best way to get my attention...LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM

42 posts, read 105,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
So Mexican actor Diego Luna being Nonwhite himself would blend right in Paris. But he would racially stick out like a sore thumb in any European city that has little to no racial diversity.
No, he wouldn't. If you saw this guy

http://www.dentrocine.com/wp-content...ego-luna-1.jpg

anywhere in Europe except maybe Scandinavia, he would not stick out.

I just asked a few British guys in another board if they saw Diego Luna in European country if he would stick out as non-white, and they said no.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post

I just asked a few British guys in another board if they saw Diego Luna in European country if he would stick out as non-white, and they said no.
Interesting...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,755 times
Quote:

I showed a picture of Diego Luna to some of my Anglo friends and asked them if they think he looks White and they all said no.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,437,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I showed a picture of Diego Luna to some of my Anglo friends and asked them if they think he looks White and they all said no.
lol you should see the picture of my profile and I'm 100% mexican

Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
Diego Luna looks mexican to me...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Diego Luna looks like he could be French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Italian, or any combination thereof....all whiteys, albeit Mediterranean white. I'm willing to bet he has little to no indigenous blood typical of the "Chicano" stereotype.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 PM

983 posts, read 3,599,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post

Not even in Scandinavia would he stick out. I've been to different parts of Norway and Sweden and know a lot of Scandinavians. Just two days ago I spent the night talking with two Swedes and a Norwegian. Proportionally there may be more blonds in Scandinavia, but I can assure you that someone who looks like the guy in the photo would not stick out there.

Jeff Jarrett, you need to go to Europe and see for yourself how the people here actually look like. If you don't think the guy on the photo looks Anglo, fine with me, but the statement that he would stick out like a sore thumb in Europe is simply untrue.

Regards

Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 21,885 times
Default Being White in Mexico

Very interesting topic! I´m a Mexican of European descent. My dad was half Italian and half Swiss, born and raised in Italy. My mom was born and raised in Mexico City but her parents came from Spain and Lebanon respectively. I grew up in Mexico City myself.

When I grew up, most of the people around me were white...my relatives, my friends, my classmates and just about every person close to us was white. Even our maid was white. She was born in a small town in the state of Jalisco called Arandas, where most of its inhabitants are descendents of French people.

Growing up I was aware that Mexico was a country of many races and ethnic backgrounds, particularly Mestizos and of course indigenous peoples but the Mexico I was part of seemed pretty white to me. All my cousins and friends married other whites and when we would go to parties or family gatherings, it was hard to tell if you were in Mexico, Spain, Germany or France.

In the mid 2000s I decided to get my MBA from Kellogg School of Management (Northwestern University) in Evanston, IL right outside of Chicago. During that time I met four other Mexicans who were also getting their MBA. We became good friends and we would go out in Chicago regularly with other students from other countries including the US. It was very funny to us that when the five of us Mexicans were together in a restaurant or a bar, Americans always thought we were Europeans. The places people would always guess were Italy, France and Spain but they would usually throw in other places into the mix such as Switzerland, Austria, Croatia and even Russia.

I guess they had never seen Mexicans with light hair, blue or green eyes and tall stature. I´m not saying that being white is better than being Mestizo or Native American, but the reality is that there are approximately 18 million people of mostly European heritage in Mexico and they should be included in the racial makeup of the country.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,891 times
You expect we believe all that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico