Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 AM

972 posts, read 3,924,862 times

Advertisements

Give me your honest opinion about the mexicans living in Mexico...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,824 times
Is this a serious question??

If so, we love the Mexican people! They are warm, friendly and charming for the most part. They are very family-oriented and most are open and kind to us gringos who have helped the economy but have also been instrumental in raising prices for the average Mexican.

One gets used to the manana syndrome - but sometimes it's infuriating! The mordida system (used by some) corrupts everything but you can almost understand it for the average Mexican because of the cost of living.

Soo, in conclusion, I'm much happier and more content when I'm in Mexico but if I could wave a magic wand and make 2 things go away; I'd abolish both manana and mordida! Then Mexico would truly represent paradise..

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Yes, is serious, thanks for share...

Old 11-24-2008, 04:03 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
Dios mío... if you actually wanted an actual answer from "gringos" you wouldn't address them in that way because many people know that "gringo" is a disrespectful term.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Dios mío... if you actually wanted an actual answer from "gringos" you wouldn't address them in that way because many people know that "gringo" is a disrespectful term.
It depends. Some of my closest friends in Mexico call me "la gringa" or tell me that I sound like a "gringa loca" when I speak Spanish. They're certainly not being disrespectful at all! Like any term, it all depends on how it's used. I find "guera" much more threatening than "gringa"... though that's because I lived in Oaxaca.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:27 PM

Why´s disreptectful term? Is widely used in Mexico, even 1 dude has a show named ¨Gringo en Mexico¨ were an american man travel around the country....

wera is = blond girl, i dont see lack of respect on that....

Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,190,824 times
I think the origins of the word gringo have somewhat disappeared into history and now it's an okay term when referring to a US citizen.. I have no problem with it..

Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,324 times
I would not call güero/a an offensive term; it simply means very light-skinned or blonde. It has approximately the same meaning as rubio/a.

Gringo, however, means "foreigner to the Latin culture." This is the best definition I can articulate of the term. Though it is sometimes used in a non-negative way, it is often used derogatively to refer to non-Latins, and usually to Anglo-Americans.

I understand that this is a matter of opinion and that its use is probably a bit "nicer" in Mexico than it is used in Florida and the Caribbean (where I grew up), but it is nonetheless a term that is to be used with caution because it can - and often does - offend. For example, if an Anglo-American knows a lot of Spanish and makes an effort to use his/her Spanish in Mexico but has a bad accent, it would be insulting to call him/her a "gringo" to his face... I am Latin myself and speak fluent Spanish and would never think of calling someone a "gringo" who is making an effort to "fit in" in a Latin country.

Last edited by Marlin331; 11-24-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Guera is used in place for gringa in the state of Oaxaca. I couldn't go a day down the street in the city without being followed with "guera" cat calls- and I am far from blonde! Guera, at least in Southern Mexico, has a VERY different connotation from rubia.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Guera is used in place for gringa in the state of Oaxaca. I couldn't go a day down the street in the city without being followed with "guera" cat calls- and I am far from blonde! Guera, at least in Southern Mexico, has a VERY different connotation from rubia.
I have to disagree with you. If you have read any of our posts on color, you will find that in Mexico, the whiter or blonder you are, the more value as far as beauty, you possess. So when you go down the street and they are flirting with you, they are really saying you are beautiful.

Of course it feels uncomfortable and it is disrespectful to call you out in public. Regardless of how they do it, when you get called guera...they are admiring your beauty.

Guera=beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico