Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM

272 posts, read 1,510,017 times

Advertisements

Just a short post. I came across a funny, excellent article about Jewish cuisine in Mexico City that I think some of you might enjoy. Called "Where there's an OY there's a VEY", it addresses both kosher foods in the city and what being Jewish in Mexico means.

He starts his article off with this:
Quote:
So they ask a Jewish boy from Manhattan to write about Jewish food in Mexico? What, you think I should be nice? They call those fluffy pillows from Wendy's Kosher Bakery bagels? The corned beef sandwich at Klein's has two measly slices of dry meat in it-two! The pickles are from a jar! And the prices! You could plotz!

Did I go into it with a bad attitude? You bet. But bubbeleh, I ended up learning something. So nu?
Not being Jewish myself, I found this article very interesting, and I began to wonder about the state of Jewish cooking in other parts of Mexico. Anyone have any insight on keeping kosher outside of Mexico City?

Anyhow, you'll find the article at http://www.insidemex.com/taste/food/...y-theres-a-vey

Enjoy!
-------------

We are one species. We are star stuff harvesting star light. Our lives, our past and our future are tied to the sun, the moon and the stars. -Carl Sagan

Visit me at Rocky Point Tides
http://rptides.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times
Quote:
The affable Clara Melameh, librarian at the Centro Cultural México-Israel in the Centro Histórico, is of Russian-Polish extraction like me. She claims to make the best gefilte fish in town. "Only there's no one left to eat it," she laments. "Nobody alive even knows what it is! My son went to live in Israel, and I'm divorced. I'm going to do all that work-for who?" Invite me, Clara!
Invite me, too!

Great article! Thanks for finding and sharing it.

It was very hard being Jewish in Puerto Vallarta. I'm pretty sure I was the only one!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
I was actually surprised in Oaxaca. A good percentage of the study abroad students from both my program and others were Jewish and some host families were familiar with the customs. My host mom was not and was absolutely shocked when I fasted for Yom Kippur (but I got to learn all kinds of fun Spanish words to explain what I was doing!). She was very supportive and proceeded to make me the biggest dinner ever. I don't keep Kosher so it wasn't an issue for me, but two of the girls in my program (out of 18 of us total) keep Kosher style (as in the meat doesn't *have* to be Kosher but they won't eat pork, mix dairy and meat, etc) and they found it easier to just be vegetarians. One of the host dads was actually Jewish, but non-practicing. According to him, there used to be a small Jewish presence in the city but most people had left to Mexico City or the States for more opportunities. At least that was the enlightened response, my host aunt informed me that Jews wouldn't live in Oaxaca because it was too poor :P

In Oaxaca, there's an American expat who makes bagels on site at his cafe. They're not perfect, but they were acceptable. In Chiapas, I met an Israeli couple running a falafel joint in San Cristobal. We ended up having a bit of a chat and it seems as though they close up shop for the High Holy Days and head to Mexico City to celebrate.

Mexico City was a joy though... I spent a bit of time in Polanco because a good friend of mine works there and it was an easy meeting place before I went to his family's home in Las Lomas. I'll never forget getting a Kosher taco... I was well pleased.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
...my host aunt informed me that Jews wouldn't live in Oaxaca because it was too poor :P
Stereotypes die hard, don't they?

Jill61: Explain gefilte fish for me. Being Swedish, I somehow equate it in my mind with the dreaded lutefisk and so I've never tried it (and never researched it either, obviously)-- but I'd bet they're nowhere near the same thing.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I was actually surprised in Oaxaca. A good percentage of the study abroad students from both my program and others were Jewish and some host families were familiar with the customs. My host mom was not and was absolutely shocked when I fasted for Yom Kippur (but I got to learn all kinds of fun Spanish words to explain what I was doing!). She was very supportive and proceeded to make me the biggest dinner ever. I don't keep Kosher so it wasn't an issue for me, but two of the girls in my program (out of 18 of us total) keep Kosher style (as in the meat doesn't *have* to be Kosher but they won't eat pork, mix dairy and meat, etc) and they found it easier to just be vegetarians. One of the host dads was actually Jewish, but non-practicing. According to him, there used to be a small Jewish presence in the city but most people had left to Mexico City or the States for more opportunities. At least that was the enlightened response, my host aunt informed me that Jews wouldn't live in Oaxaca because it was too poor :P

In Oaxaca, there's an American expat who makes bagels on site at his cafe. They're not perfect, but they were acceptable. In Chiapas, I met an Israeli couple running a falafel joint in San Cristobal. We ended up having a bit of a chat and it seems as though they close up shop for the High Holy Days and head to Mexico City to celebrate.

Mexico City was a joy though... I spent a bit of time in Polanco because a good friend of mine works there and it was an easy meeting place before I went to his family's home in Las Lomas. I'll never forget getting a Kosher taco... I was well pleased.
I was under the impression nearly all of Mexico's Jewish population is in the Greater Mexico City area - DF and Edomex particularly. While it's debatable whether Cuernavaca is part of Greater Mexico City there are synagogues there. Guadalajara and Monterrey have tiny Jewish communities.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post

Jill61: Explain gefilte fish for me. Being Swedish, I somehow equate it in my mind with the dreaded lutefisk and so I've never tried it (and never researched it either, obviously)-- but I'd bet they're nowhere near the same thing.
Not even close! Gefilte fish can best be related to Swedish quenelles - they're basically poached fish patties - except they're served cold, and without the sauce. Though I suspect the texture is more like a frikadeller (the ingredients are basically all the same except with fish instead of meat), as opposed to what I imagine is the more "mousse-like" texture of quenelles (I've never had them).

Gefilte Fish
Quenelles
Frikadeller

You should try them sometime.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks, Jill. That sounds like something reassuringly edible, as opposed to lutefisk. Since the trauma of experiencing lutefisk as a child I have balked at eating anything Swedish that had to do with fish unless it was smoked (they do smoke a good salmon), so I never tried quenelles or frikadellers, either, but I will give gefilte fish a try sometime.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 AM

You're welcome! They might be an acquired taste, but I can assure you they are nowhere near as disgusting as lutefisk! My husband is Danish (not just in heritage, but born and raised) and he likes gefilte fish, even though he didn't grow up eating it like I did, so you never know, you might like it. It's traditionally eaten on matzoh with a dollop of horseradish sauce on it.

Enjoy!

P.S. I am also of Swedish heritage -- my great grandmother on my mother's side was born and raised there.

Last edited by Jill61; 06-08-2009 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Added post script

Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 21,881 times
I grew up in Mexico City in a neighborhood called Tecamachalco, known for it´s large Jewish population. Mexico City has the biggest concentration of Jews in Mexico, particularly in the Polanco area and some of the neighboring colonias (neighborhoods), including the one I mentioned.

In-and-around Polanco you can find anything from Kosher food to Jewish Scarfs to Haredi Orthodox men (born and raised in Mexico of course).

I´m not Jewish myself but became quite familiar with the Jewish traditions since a lot of my friends growing up were Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico