Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,899,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Don't know how to be more specific than that.

But...just thinking...a lot of everyone wants to move to America. But where can Americans go? Most people block us from emigrating to their countries.

I've been living in Asia for 10 years or so...can't legally emigrate anywhere over here...even if you marry into a culture, still pretty limited on any rights, etc. Nothing whatsoever similar to what America offers when people emigrate there, and the fact America offers it and you don't even have to marry into it, etc. You'd NEVER be able to that over here in Japan, Korea, China, Vietnam, on and on where I've been living as an American. I know Americans who's American parents were born in Japan, they were born in Japan, and fathered/mothered kids in Japan...but NONE of them have any rights whatsoever...still on their 'tourist' or 'work' visas connected to jobs, and never lived in the U.S. where their passport is from...pure unstability.

I was a bit curious about Mexico once...but heard it was near impossible. But it kind of surprises me as Mexico has 50 million in the U.S., so is there ANY recipricocity whatsoever...or does the Mexican government just block all Americans altogether...unless they have Mexican ethnicity/history/connection. I kind of have an impression we're completely blocked.

But that can't be right...no reciprocity at all...or am I wrong about that.

I've also heard 'why would an American want to emigrate to Mexico?'. Well, if there was reciprocity, and 40% of Mexico City was Americans...like Los Angeles with Mexicans...then of course we'd want to emigrate...and Mexico would probably have money pouring into it, facelifting the country and could be a real interesting place in general.

But I kinda get the impression that even 5% Americans making up Mexico City would be WAY too much for the Mexican government...but it just made me think about the possibilities.
There is no real blocking of Americans as long as they follow the process and speak Spanish. Same thing in the US, if you want to legally emigrate and then gain citizenship you have to follow a process and speak English (although its not a rigorous testing of English ability). But realistically few people of working age would ever want to do it. Mexico is a place where wealth is created by starting your own business, but to succeed in business in Mexico one must have good cultural understanding and good relationships. Those things are hard for all but large foreign companies who hire locals to handle this for them. An American entrepreneur trying to make it in Mexico faces enormous hurdles while a Mexican entrepreneur in the US has lots of opportunity. This is at the heart of the land of opportunity this country represents to the world and is why almost all the desired working age immigration is inward, not outward. After retirement age it all turns around where people look for lower costs and better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 06:07 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,600,891 times
Even if the official policy is lenient for Americans to migrate to Mexico, the only suggestion I have is to not be too vocal about what you are trying to do. Many Mexicans will be very interested in why you are there...that is fine since it is just usually curiosity. However, living down there full-time is often controversial. (I know this from a gringo who did just that) Unless you know someone well, just tell them you are down there as a tourist for a few weeks. Do not tell them you have your own place and your own car.

I know that many Americans do retire to Mexico. However, there is limited recipriocity. For example, illegal immigants to Mexico are thrown in jail then deported...no exceptions. It doesn't matter that the Mexican government encourages illegals to come here. It doesn't have to be right or wrong. It is just that people usually have a strong preference for their own cultural groups. I am not faulting Mexico at all for this...even in multi-cultural America people usually prefer their own group. I am also not suggesting that you do not go to Mexico. I spent 5 weeks in Mexico and LOVED it. The ruins, beaches, jungles, colonial cities, culture, etc. were all fascinating to me. Also, people were very friendly and it is much easier to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger in mexico than it is up here. I am just saying that Americans should not be to vocal about staying there full-time, since you would be always seen as an outsider in their country.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,945,434 times
This last statement is a crock of bull.

I lived in Mexico City (Mexican wife) for three yrs and never had any problems.

Currently I'm in Baja over 13 yrs south of Rosarito. Approximately 14,000 Americans living in the general area of Rosarito which does cover a few miles southward to where I'm at. My mail comes thru the city PO. All these people cannot be wrong.

Five days or five weeks is garbage. Some people have a honeymoon that long.

Shoot...the sub division I'm in is all Mexicans and I'm the only American...bought a lot and built my own home...did all my own lumber work and contracted the brick work. I have an old 1966 VW car and the only one like it around here and am recognized by the locals and police who patrol by here. Have had people ask me if the car is for sale.

I go shopping into town...pay the phone bill...electricity bill and constantly see Americans doing the same.

I hate lousy info from people that have NEVER spent justifiable time in Mexico and base their conclusions on a few days visit or hearsay or TV news broadcasts. Every so often there is a repeat post of some kind of info that just make me shake my head.

Sorry I've got to go. Steve

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM

16,557 posts, read 19,738,751 times
Million per cent agree with Steve. Met a man and his wife that retired VERY early... llike mid 40's. They live in PVR for 6 months every year for the past four in a neighborhood most tourists would be terrified of. They are the only 'white people' in the area and pay $200/mo in rent and they could NOT be happier. His landloard and neighbors are all Mexcian.
They are not harrassed, everyone knows them by name, even the guy who sells the fresh shrimp from his cart knows every Thursday he needs to stop by Don's place. They walk home from town at night.
I am sure that PVR is not the only city so accepting of 'white people'.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,007,857 times
Does anyone have any experience raising American children in Mexico? Such as experience with schools? child care? treatment from other children?

Old 02-17-2010, 03:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What is Mexico's policy on Americans emigrating there?

NOT Mexican-Americans...gringo Americans..
Mexico's policy is simple - you're welcome, bring your own money.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,194,673 times
Yes, that's quite true -- "you're welcome, bring your own money".. But, that's okay because of all the benefits of living here (especially the warmth, sunshine and friendly people). You do have to obtain an FM-3 if you live here for more than 6 months, which requires showing you have money to support yourself. And, if you work, you need an FM-2 - as I understand it.. It is much more difficult to find work in Mexico. I believe a company cannot hire a foreigner unless they employ at least seven Mexicans. If someone knows differently, please correct me!

As to raising a child from the US here: most of the larger cities have lots of private schools - and many of the small cities do also. Where we are in Bucerias on the Pacific Coast (a smallish town), there are at least three-four good private schools and part of the school populations are from the US. Kids are kids and can fit in almost anywhere - and kids learn another language a lot faster than adults. We live near one very nice private school and I often see the 'gringo' kids walking alongside their Mexican friends!

As to 'white' people, I still don't get that sentiment! Many of the Mexicans here are as 'white' as I am. Naturally, there're some indigenous who are darker-skinned but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in how they are treated - unless they are very, very poor.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:09 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,899,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Mexico's policy is simple - you're welcome, bring your own money.
Lots of countries have policies along these lines. Problem is most people with money aren't about to start working in Mexico, but they are willing to bring their assets and minds to contribute to the economy of places like Canada and Australia. The US is just caught up on this family relationship thing which makes no sense. Tell people with money and brains who can add to the economy you're not welcome, but let the senior age parents or the children of people with minimal resources come in legally. Such stupidity.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 PM

332 posts, read 644,818 times
Quote:
What is Mexico's policy on Americans emigrating there?

NOT Mexican-Americans...gringo Americans..
Why would you want to live in Mexico anyways, when not even most Mexicans themselves like living in Mexico. If the U.S had 100% total open borders, atleast 95% of the population in Mexico would pack their bags and move to the United States in a heartbeat.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:08 AM

972 posts, read 3,927,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golem1979 View Post
Why would you want to live in Mexico anyways, when not even most Mexicans themselves like living in Mexico. If the U.S had 100% total open borders, atleast 95% of the population in Mexico would pack their bags and move to the United States in a heartbeat.
Not true, I have relatives in Texas, and I go often to visit them, but never will like to live there. I am happy in Mexico as the majority of mexicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico